Like Tree3578Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th December 2017, 10:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
I am agog.

Having never heard any 'rumors' etc. Seriously.

How have you not heard rumours about Bryan Singer, it’s been one of Hollywood’s worst kept secrets for years! Unless you’re being facetious then I’ll just step away haha...
keirarts likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 8th December 2017, 11:13 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
I am agog.
Having never heard any 'rumors' etc. Seriously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
How have you not heard rumours about Bryan Singer, it’s been one of Hollywood’s worst kept secrets for years! Unless you’re being facetious then I’ll just step away haha...
I haven't heard his name in relation to sexual abuse/assault/harassment. This probably makes it all the more shocking that I was not blindsided by the allegations because I'm expecting almost anyone to be linked to historical offences. I think it was Trevor Noah who said he hoped a beloved celebrity was dead when he saw their name trending on Twitter, because the alternative is (from the perspective of a spectator/consumer) possibly worse.

I greatly admire Bryan Singer's filmmaking ability and, like many others recently brought to attention in light of allegations of sexual misconduct and added to those whose offences are more historical, I find myself somewhat torn when separating the artist from his art.
Justin101 and keirarts like this.
Old 9th December 2017, 11:09 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I too thought it was common knowledge about his past allegations, which is why I questioned his dismissal from Bohemian Rhapsody, I wasn’t trying to spread gossip or anything, it was the first thing that sprung to mind when I read Suzis post on the subject.
That’s why I added the video of The Hives song yesterday, not to be smug saying “I told you so”, but saying I “hate” to because it seemed I was right.
Anyway, I think we should leave this now before we clog up the thread again
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 9th December 2017, 11:59 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
I have to be honest here. Tittle tattle ain't really my thing J. So rumors that I do hear, I tend to ignore or investigate IF I can be bothered. So we shall say synchronicity and draw a veil ...

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 9th December 2017, 12:12 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The Commuter looks like something which has been done before, or at least a blend of themes which have been done before. I try not to make snap judgements based on the trailer, but it's very difficult and my initial thought about this is that it could be thoroughly entertaining or absolutely terrible.

[REC] in an elevator?

keirarts likes this.
Old 9th December 2017, 12:14 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I greatly admire Bryan Singer's filmmaking ability and, like many others recently brought to attention in light of allegations of sexual misconduct and added to those whose offences are more historical, I find myself somewhat torn when separating the artist from his art.
It's getting to the point now where you have to separate the artist from his art or there will be almost nothing that we can watch for our entertainment, every day it's a new film maker/producer/actor.

Anyway, let's move on!

Old 10th December 2017, 01:27 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I've seen some trailers at the cinema recently which really piqued my interest but which I have put on here. This is only because I don't want to sit there with a phone/piece of paper writing them down but found I forgotten them by the time the films are finished! Some of the others are ones I've come across when looking for the YouTube videos or spoken about highly in end of year wrap ups but haven't been released in the UK yet.

Darkest Hour

Lady Bird

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Dark River

The Shape of Water

You Were Never Really Here

Avengers: Infinity War
gag, keirarts and bleakshaun like this.
Old 10th December 2017, 01:38 PM
Cult Veteran

I can't wait to see Lady Bird, it's not really a Cult Labs film but it looks fantastic. I'm also hearing really good stuff about Molly's Game which comes out in the new year.

The new Guillermo Del Toro film, I'm trying not to learn anything about it at all and I just want to go and see it blindly. I'm REALLY looking forward to it though, early feedback has been positive.
keirarts likes this.

Old 10th December 2017, 01:53 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I can't wait to see Lady Bird, it's not really a Cult Labs film but it looks fantastic. I'm also hearing really good stuff about Molly's Game which comes out in the new year.

The new Guillermo Del Toro film, I'm trying not to learn anything about it at all and I just want to go and see it blindly. I'm REALLY looking forward to it though, early feedback has been positive.
I realise all these are more mainstream than 'cult' films, but they are likely to appeal to a number of people here. Like you, I've read, seen and heard so many positive things about Lady Bird, and any film with Saoirse Ronan in the lead role is worth watching simply because she is an astonishingly good actor.

One of the more extraordinary things in any of the trailers is Darkest Hour, where I wouldn't know Gary Oldman was playing Winston Churchill from that footage. Apart from the eyes and some mouth movements, he's practically unrecognisable.

The thing about trailers is I hope they don't spoil the film, but everything I've seen recently (Suburbicon as the most obvious example) has been 'misrepresented' by the trailer to such an extent that the film bears little resemblance to the snippet of a collection of scenes I saw a few months previously.
Old 16th December 2017, 01:02 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

You can tell awards season is approaching when the trailers at the cinema include hard-hitting dramas by seasoned filmmakers with award-winning actors. This isn't a bad thing, just an observation because I've seen the trailer for The Post twice and if it is anywhere as good and enjoyable as Bridge of Spies, the previous Spielberg-Hanks collaboration, it will be well worth watching.

Similarly, this adaptation of Journey's End (a play I studied for GCSE English and have seen on the stage) looks to be a powerful film with many respected actors doing what they do best:

These two look very different as they look likely to be much more fun and 'audience friendly', though Downsizing could be as thought-provoking as either of the two mentioned above. My main hope for Jumanji is that it isn't a huge disappointment which sours my happy memories of the original.

Like this? Share it using the links below!