Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th February 2014, 05:51 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default Is It Any Good?

Not sure if this topic exists or not, I apologise if it does. I thought it'd be a good idea to create a topic to ask for advice on films we're going to view.

I'm just about to watch the Manic remake. Before I do, I just wanted to know what you guys think of it.
Old 8th February 2014, 06:01 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

maniac remake go for it deffo without doubt its not one of the better renakes, its probably one of the best remakes. quite a lot of love for it on here and some people actualy think its better than the original.
Old 8th February 2014, 06:05 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I'm assuming you mean the Maniac remake?

Yes, I thought it was excellent. I'm a massive fan of the original and admit that I was a little apprehensive when approaching the remake due to the original embodying a scuzzy, gritty vibe which I just couldn't see them replicating - especially with someone like Wood in the role. However, the remake takes the basic formula and twists it to fit a new mold, and what results is an original take on the formula and one of the best remakes I've yet come across. Wood is also very good in the role and any misgivings I had about the film evaporated the more I watched and was drawn in; which goes to show that some creativity and a little 're-imagining' can go a long way in producing a successful remake.
Old 8th February 2014, 07:09 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I'm assuming you mean the Maniac remake?

Yes, I thought it was excellent. I'm a massive fan of the original and admit that I was a little apprehensive when approaching the remake due to the original embodying a scuzzy, gritty vibe which I just couldn't see them replicating - especially with someone like Wood in the role. However, the remake takes the basic formula and twists it to fit a new mold, and what results is an original take on the formula and one of the best remakes I've yet come across. Wood is also very good in the role and any misgivings I had about the film evaporated the more I watched and was drawn in; which goes to show that some creativity and a little 're-imagining' can go a long way in producing a successful remake.

Yes, I meant M-A-N-I-A-C

That's why I've hesitated to watch it. That's why I wanted to start his thread. You've convinced me, guys. I'll tell you what I think once I'm done watching it.

I hope other people will post their film queeries here.
Old 8th February 2014, 07:26 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

No problem.

I hope you like it, otherwise you will probably think twice about taking any of our advice in future.

Yes, this could indeed turn into a useful and helpful thread, although I'm convinced that we do already have a thread of this nature somewhere; or if not, one very much like it. I can't locate it at present though, so there is no reason why this one can't remain as it is.
ArgentoFan1987 likes this.
Old 8th February 2014, 07:28 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
No problem.

I hope you like it, otherwise you will probably think twice about taking any of our advice in future.

Yes, this could indeed turn into a useful and helpful thread, although I'm convinced that we do already have a thread of this nature somewhere; or if not, one very much like it. I can't locate it at present though, so there is no reason why this one can't remain as it is.

Just finished watching it! WOW! I'm blown away. Not just one of the best remakes I've ever seen, but an amazing film in itself.

They've kept parts that pays tribute to the original (mannequins, scalpings, the ending) without ever being a complete rip-off. He use of POV was very good as was the use of reflection. It would've been so easy for them to change the ending, but they kept it and pulled it off very well. 9/10

Last edited by ArgentoFan1987; 8th February 2014 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11th February 2014, 08:20 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Films I intend on watching soon, but haven't seen. I was wondering if you guys could tell me a bit about them, in terms of worth watching or not.

Bicycle Theives
All About Eve
The Artist
Dr. Strangelove
(I remember seeing a it of this a while back and hating it)
Event Horizon
Martyrs
Mother's Day (2010)
My Soul to Take
Piranha 3D
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Savages
Singin' in the Rain
A Streetcar Named Desire
V For Vendetta
The Wrestler
City Girl

Thanks
Old 11th February 2014, 10:55 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Event Horizon is quite good, definitely worth a watch.

I thought Martyrs was well over-rated, and much prefered the less ambitious Inside, as far as recent French horrors go.

Savages is pretty weak.

Haven't seen The Wrestler yet, but plan on watching soon - I'd give it a shot.
ArgentoFan1987 likes this.
Old 11th February 2014, 11:18 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linbro View Post
Event Horizon is quite good, definitely worth a watch.

I thought Martyrs was well over-rated, and much prefered the less ambitious Inside, as far as recent French horrors go.

Savages is pretty weak.

Haven't seen The Wrestler yet, but plan on watching soon - I'd give it a shot.
Thanks a lot! I guess I'll watch Event Horizon next

I have heard a lot of negativity toward Savages. Just thought I'd confirm it.
Old 11th February 2014, 12:32 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 View Post
Films I intend on watching soon, but haven't seen. I was wondering if you guys could tell me a bit about them, in terms of worth watching or not.

Bicycle Theives
All About Eve
The Artist
Dr. Strangelove
(I remember seeing a it of this a while back and hating it)
Event Horizon
Martyrs
Mother's Day (2010)
My Soul to Take
Piranha 3D
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Savages
Singin' in the Rain
A Streetcar Named Desire
V For Vendetta
The Wrestler
City Girl

Thanks
All worth watching in my opinion. (Not sure what Savages is though). There are some fantastic films there.

Although My Soul to Take is f**king abysmal.

Like this? Share it using the links below!