Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   Is There Such Thing As A Perfect Film? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/8158-there-such-thing-perfect-film.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th March 2012 07:12 PM

Is There Such Thing As A Perfect Film?

Something I tend to think about quite a bit (mainly because I tend to be very analytical in nature): is there such thing as a perfect film?

Even though there are a lot of films I love, I'd have to say 'no'.

Andrei Tarkovsky's Solaris is as close to perfection as it comes for me, but there are plenty of other films that come close.

I recently joined Criticker where you can rank and review films, partly to help me in my ongoing quest to produce some sort of 'top film' list, and partly because I love that kind of thing - even more so where films are concerned.

Because perfection is such a subjective thing, does anyone else believe in the concept of a perfect film?

antmumford 7th March 2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 222361)
Something I tend to think about quite a bit (mainly because I tend to be very analytical in nature): is there such thing as a perfect film?

Even though there are a lot of films I love, I'd have to say 'no'.

Andrei Tarkovsky's Solaris is as close to perfection as it comes for me, but there are plenty of other films that come close.

I recently joined Criticker where you can rank and review films, partly to help me in my ongoing quest to produce some sort of 'top film' list, and partly because I love that kind of thing - even more so where films are concerned.

Because perfection is such a subjective thing, does anyone else believe in the concept of a perfect film?

I do believe there is a perfect film out there for everyone as everyone's perceptions and emotional triggers are all different and unique.

A perfect film could always change though depending on your mood

Pete 7th March 2012 09:11 PM

Yes: A CLOCKWORK ORANGE.

Gojirosan 7th March 2012 09:26 PM

My head wants to say, no, there cannot be a perfect film.

But my heart says that every one of the many, many times it has seen Once Upon A Time In The West it has seen perfection.

I cannot see or hear any flaw in OUATITW. So I have to conclude that it is perfect.

Now, if we want to set perfection as an empirical measuring point, we have a problem. OUATITW is flawless to me, but there are those for whom it is not even their favourite Leone film, never mind favourite film. So it cannot be perfect to them.

You cannot apply the term "perfect" to art. It is a scientific term with strict meaning. Art cannot be measured thus. So, no, there cannot be a Perfect Film. But in my many years of watching films, yes, I have seen a perfect film.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 7th March 2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 222666)
Yes: A CLOCKWORK ORANGE.

An interesting choice: what makes it perfect for you?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 222668)
You cannot apply the term "perfect" to art. It is a scientific term with strict meaning. Art cannot be measured thus. So, no, there cannot be a Perfect Film. But in my many years of watching films, yes, I have seen a perfect film.

Very true: whilst the term 'perfect' is definitive in meaning, perfection itself is subjective to the individual. Plus, from my perspective it is also something that is ever-changing; tastes change; nothing is forever etc. (to an extent).

Make Them Die Slowly 7th March 2012 09:42 PM

Oddly the films that are perfect in my view or as near as, tend to be films I only ever watch once. I'm always afraid that if I watch them again it will tarnish my original feelings for the film. This doesn't happen with music or books for some reason.

PaulRobinson 7th March 2012 10:19 PM

Yes: The Goonies

Demoncrat 8th March 2012 01:03 PM

Gregorys Girl

Pete 8th March 2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 222675)
An interesting choice: what makes it perfect for you?

Everything really: the acting, direction, cinematography, music, editing, production design - everything you can think of.

I'd have classed THE SEARCHERS and ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST as perfect but they lose points slightly for having animals killed on camera (buffalo in TS and a bird in OUATITW). I know those scene's are only brief but I just don't like to see it.

gag 8th March 2012 09:03 PM

Agree to lot of comments but warriors has got to be in this catagory watch it at least 3 times a yr every yr..