Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   Seperating the art from the artist (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/8797-seperating-art-artist.html)

Slippery Jack 28th May 2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 245536)
God, I totally forgot about Chris Langham. His career's virtually ended as a result of that

I know. He made a comeback of sorts last year in the film Black Pond. Shame it was rubbish. Can't see him getting any tv work any time soon (on the Beeb for sure. Maybe Channel 4 would hire him) . . .

Gojirosan 28th May 2012 10:14 PM

I am having a problem watching Clownhouse...

...however the problem is that it's so bloody awful! What a boring load of old tripe!

PaulD 28th May 2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 245838)
I am having a problem watching Clownhouse...

...however the problem is that it's so bloody awful! What a boring load of old tripe!

:lol:

Demoncrat 29th May 2012 12:05 PM

Joe Meek...murdered his landlady
Jimmy Page....took a 14 year old girl on tour with him
John Landis.......caused the deaths of two actors
Caravaggio......murdered someone in an arguement

I could go on.

it's either "love the art, forgive the artist" or it's nonstop Cliff Richard.

I M O.

Daemonia 23rd September 2012 03:56 PM

I can separate the art from the artist, no problem at all. Artists are delivering a service after all, just like any other profession. Do you ask the plumber for his life story before allowing him to fix the pipes? And if you found out after he left that he was a criminal in his former life, would the plumbing suddenly cease to work? Would you rip the pipes out in anger?

Same applies to entertainment. Unless the director is actively spouting some disagreeable propaganda, then it's just a piece of fictional entertainment that was probably written by someone else anyway and so isn't a creation of the director alone. It's the writer who has the initial creative vision.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 11th January 2013 08:08 PM

Anyone who is involved in the tampering with kids are scum,the lowest of the ****ing low,and then some,but why should your love of a film,which you've admired all your life suddenly be downgraded because of what one idividual did?

As stated by Goj,actors performances,DOP's visuals,special effects and script/screenwriters make a film as much as what it is as well as the director.

So no,I don't think anyone should feel guilty about a film in which ONE individual has offended.It's a collective effort bringing something to the screen.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 11th January 2013 08:10 PM

Well put Dae.:nod:

Separating the art from the artist.

Spot on.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 11th January 2013 08:23 PM

For me it's all about the context. Salva for instance actually abused one of the young actors that starred in Clownhouse, which is why I can no longer sit there and watch it knowing what went on behind the scenes.

As for Polanski and the new debate involving Kinski, it is so far removed from their actual work (which is mostly fantastic, IMO) on screen, that I can easily separate the two and therefore enjoy their various work for what it is.

It's all down to personal interpretation, though.

antmumford 11th January 2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 311492)
For me it's all about the context. Salva for instance actually abused one of the young actors that starred in Clownhouse, which is why I can no longer sit there and watch it knowing what went on behind the scenes.

As for Polanski and the new debate involving Kinski, it is so far removed from their actual work (which is mostly fantastic, IMO) on screen, that I can easily separate the two and therefore enjoy their various work for what it is.

It's all down to personal interpretation, though.

I'm still gonna watch The Birds and Marnie even though the nasty Mr Hitchcock abused Tippi for years whilst filming them.
Would you no longer watch them?
Just playing Devils advocate here

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 11th January 2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 311505)
I'm still gonna watch The Birds and Marnie even though the nasty Mr Hitchcock abused Tippi for years whilst filming them.
Would you no longer watch them?
Just playing Devils advocate here

Play away ;)

No, I'd still watch them. But for me the Clownhouse/Salva case is notorious, bearing in mind we're talking about a minor here, too.

I'd still watch Jeepers Creepers for instance, it's just I feel uneasy about watching Clownhouse due to what went on, and it spoils any enjoyment I had whilst watching the film... Films, for me, are a way to make you forget reality, and are there to get lost in. Clownhouse is too tainted to have this desired effect for me anymore.