Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th May 2012, 01:20 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
God, I totally forgot about Chris Langham. His career's virtually ended as a result of that
I know. He made a comeback of sorts last year in the film Black Pond. Shame it was rubbish. Can't see him getting any tv work any time soon (on the Beeb for sure. Maybe Channel 4 would hire him) . . .
Old 28th May 2012, 10:14 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I am having a problem watching Clownhouse...

...however the problem is that it's so bloody awful! What a boring load of old tripe!
PaulD likes this.
Old 28th May 2012, 10:19 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
I am having a problem watching Clownhouse...

...however the problem is that it's so bloody awful! What a boring load of old tripe!
Old 29th May 2012, 12:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Joe Meek...murdered his landlady
Jimmy Page....took a 14 year old girl on tour with him
John Landis.......caused the deaths of two actors
Caravaggio......murdered someone in an arguement

I could go on.

it's either "love the art, forgive the artist" or it's nonstop Cliff Richard.

I M O.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 23rd September 2012, 03:56 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I can separate the art from the artist, no problem at all. Artists are delivering a service after all, just like any other profession. Do you ask the plumber for his life story before allowing him to fix the pipes? And if you found out after he left that he was a criminal in his former life, would the plumbing suddenly cease to work? Would you rip the pipes out in anger?

Same applies to entertainment. Unless the director is actively spouting some disagreeable propaganda, then it's just a piece of fictional entertainment that was probably written by someone else anyway and so isn't a creation of the director alone. It's the writer who has the initial creative vision.
Old 11th January 2013, 08:08 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Anyone who is involved in the tampering with kids are scum,the lowest of the ****ing low,and then some,but why should your love of a film,which you've admired all your life suddenly be downgraded because of what one idividual did?

As stated by Goj,actors performances,DOP's visuals,special effects and script/screenwriters make a film as much as what it is as well as the director.

So no,I don't think anyone should feel guilty about a film in which ONE individual has offended.It's a collective effort bringing something to the screen.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 11th January 2013, 08:10 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Well put Dae.

Separating the art from the artist.

Spot on.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 11th January 2013, 08:23 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

For me it's all about the context. Salva for instance actually abused one of the young actors that starred in Clownhouse, which is why I can no longer sit there and watch it knowing what went on behind the scenes.

As for Polanski and the new debate involving Kinski, it is so far removed from their actual work (which is mostly fantastic, IMO) on screen, that I can easily separate the two and therefore enjoy their various work for what it is.

It's all down to personal interpretation, though.
Pete likes this.
Old 11th January 2013, 08:44 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
For me it's all about the context. Salva for instance actually abused one of the young actors that starred in Clownhouse, which is why I can no longer sit there and watch it knowing what went on behind the scenes.

As for Polanski and the new debate involving Kinski, it is so far removed from their actual work (which is mostly fantastic, IMO) on screen, that I can easily separate the two and therefore enjoy their various work for what it is.

It's all down to personal interpretation, though.
I'm still gonna watch The Birds and Marnie even though the nasty Mr Hitchcock abused Tippi for years whilst filming them.
Would you no longer watch them?
Just playing Devils advocate here

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 11th January 2013, 08:53 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
I'm still gonna watch The Birds and Marnie even though the nasty Mr Hitchcock abused Tippi for years whilst filming them.
Would you no longer watch them?
Just playing Devils advocate here
Play away

No, I'd still watch them. But for me the Clownhouse/Salva case is notorious, bearing in mind we're talking about a minor here, too.

I'd still watch Jeepers Creepers for instance, it's just I feel uneasy about watching Clownhouse due to what went on, and it spoils any enjoyment I had whilst watching the film... Films, for me, are a way to make you forget reality, and are there to get lost in. Clownhouse is too tainted to have this desired effect for me anymore.
jorishorror likes this.

Last edited by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs; 11th January 2013 at 10:29 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!