Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   What's your favourite anthology? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/1015-whats-your-favourite-anthology.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 22nd January 2009 06:52 PM

I also forgot THE UNCANNY with Cushing....:o another worthy edition.
Grismsdyke's resurrection in Poetic Justice,for me was one of the most creepy and effective screen zombie's ever...:cool:

Mojo 22nd January 2009 06:56 PM

Doctor Terrors House Of Horrors is a much cherished tv memory from my childhood. Dead Of Night is superbly creepy ( with a truly nightmarish ending ). Tales From The Crypt wins it for me, though. Great stories, superb performances and real comic book horror. Brilliant.

mark meakin 23rd January 2009 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 20807)
I also forgot THE UNCANNY with Cushing....:o another worthy edition.
Grismsdyke's resurrection in Poetic Justice,for me was one of the most creepy and effective screen zombie's ever...:cool:

As well as THE MONSTER CLUB & TALES THAT WITNESS MADNESS though they are hardly classics they have their fans.You've also forgot one of my favourite Italian anthologies (If they count here) BLACK SABBATH which is highly recommended.

Pete 23rd January 2009 10:53 AM

Oh yes Black Sabbath is a superb anthology. Although i dont really like the first story.

mark meakin 23rd January 2009 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loops (Post 20890)
Oh yes Black Sabbath is a superb anthology. Although i dont really like the first story.

Yes it seems rather out of place in the movie & is dull.

cloud 23rd January 2009 03:08 PM

Out of place, dull and anti-climactic. A definite mis-fire in Black Sabbath. The "Drop of Water" segment is awesome.

mark meakin 23rd January 2009 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloud (Post 20910)
Out of place, dull and anti-climactic. A definite mis-fire in Black Sabbath. The "Drop of Water" segment is awesome.

Bloody scary as well that segment & "The Boris Karloff segment "The Wurdalak" is beautifully atmospheric.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 26th January 2009 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark meakin (Post 20877)
As well as THE MONSTER CLUB & TALES THAT WITNESS MADNESS though they are hardly classics they have their fans.You've also forgot one of my favourite Italian anthologies (If they count here) BLACK SABBATH which is highly recommended.

As I said,apologies for those I forgot.....:o
Anyway,had an anthology and Hammer weekend-TALES FROM THE CRYPT,TORTURE GARDEN,VAULT OF HORROR,FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE.....
Torture Garden,unfortunaltely,is the poorest Amicus anthology I've seen,it's okay,but not a patch on the rest.....:(

mark meakin 27th January 2009 01:45 PM

I agree Torture Garden is poor with some of the weakest stories of any Amicus anthology.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 27th January 2009 04:38 PM

Peter Cushing in the Edgar Allen Poe segment was the only saving grace....Jack Palance and Burgess Meredith were like fish out of water.
That old Hammer stalwart,Michael Ripper was also grossly underused....:(