Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   What's your favourite anthology? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/1015-whats-your-favourite-anthology.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 21st January 2009 08:47 PM

What's your favourite anthology?

What's the best horror anthologies that you've seen and why?
Amicus certainly rules the roost for me.....

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 21st January 2009 09:15 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Remember,it's multiple choice,so you can vote for more than one.....Apologies in advance for any I've forgotten........:blush: Like FROM A WHISPER TO A SCREAM!

vincenzo 21st January 2009 09:27 PM

Tales From The Crypt narrowly beats Vault Of Horror for me. Dead Of Night follows equally closely.

Asylum is a missing must, Reaps.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 21st January 2009 11:11 PM

Jesus,yes imagine forgetting ASYLUM...:blush: I ordered the German special ed last night as well.....:o

mark meakin 22nd January 2009 08:27 AM

Tales From The Crypt is tops mainly for the fine "Poetic Justice" with Peter Cushing's moving performance.The Other Amicus films the underrated Vault Of Horror & From Beyond The Grave are my other favourites.The Best 'recent' (27 years !) has to be Creepshow for "The Crate" in particular which has Adrienne Barbeau & Hal Halbrook in fine form.I never really like the Amicus anthology Torture Garden very much & Dr Terror's House Of Horrors is also pretty patchy.I also like Cats Eye for the "Quitters Inc" story.I'd also like to see Nightmares again as it was OK but the dvd is pricey:ack:

mark meakin 22nd January 2009 08:34 AM

Creepshow 2 is better than most people seem to think but Trilogy Of Terror is only saved from from mediocrity by Richard Matheson's story "Prey" with the Zuni Doll.Trilogy Of Terror 2 starring Lysette Anthony may be less fondly remembered but it has stronger stories due to the fact it also contains a remake of Matheson's "Bobby" from the 1977 Dan Curtis anthology Dead Of Night.I would've put that in my favourites list if in the poll solely for this creepy final story which scared me as a kid.Twilight Zone-The Movie has an outstanding remake of the William Shatner episode but the Spielberg one is over sentimental & Vic Morrow's suffered from re-editing due to his death in the on set accident.I can only imagine that the original ending had Morrow saving the kids (also tragically killed) during the Vietnam sequence & being redeemed,instead of the more downbeat ending they were forced to go with.

Pete 22nd January 2009 01:21 PM

Amicus where the kings of the anthologys: Asylum and Vault of Horror classic.

cloud 22nd January 2009 02:51 PM

I watched Freaky Fairytales (Dead Time Stories) the other night and what a load of crap it is.

I've not seen all on that list but have seen most. With the exception of Tales From The Darkside and the above I like them all. I couldn't pick a favourite though.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 22nd January 2009 05:35 PM

Yeah,Peter Cushing was great in all those anthologies,and yes Mark,I agree that Poetic Justice was the best segment of the lot.Tales from the Crypt is my fave,followed closely by Vault and Asylum.Vault was the first one I ever saw,and as pointed out elsewhere,the Vipco version is the only uncut version available.A pity,as the MGM pic quality is far superior.....:(

mark meakin 22nd January 2009 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 20772)
Jesus,yes imagine forgetting ASYLUM...:blush: I ordered the German special ed last night as well.....:o

Asylum is also good & I'd have chosen it too had it been listed !.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 22nd January 2009 06:52 PM

I also forgot THE UNCANNY with Cushing....:o another worthy edition.
Grismsdyke's resurrection in Poetic Justice,for me was one of the most creepy and effective screen zombie's ever...:cool:

Mojo 22nd January 2009 06:56 PM

Doctor Terrors House Of Horrors is a much cherished tv memory from my childhood. Dead Of Night is superbly creepy ( with a truly nightmarish ending ). Tales From The Crypt wins it for me, though. Great stories, superb performances and real comic book horror. Brilliant.

mark meakin 23rd January 2009 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 20807)
I also forgot THE UNCANNY with Cushing....:o another worthy edition.
Grismsdyke's resurrection in Poetic Justice,for me was one of the most creepy and effective screen zombie's ever...:cool:

As well as THE MONSTER CLUB & TALES THAT WITNESS MADNESS though they are hardly classics they have their fans.You've also forgot one of my favourite Italian anthologies (If they count here) BLACK SABBATH which is highly recommended.

Pete 23rd January 2009 10:53 AM

Oh yes Black Sabbath is a superb anthology. Although i dont really like the first story.

mark meakin 23rd January 2009 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loops (Post 20890)
Oh yes Black Sabbath is a superb anthology. Although i dont really like the first story.

Yes it seems rather out of place in the movie & is dull.

cloud 23rd January 2009 03:08 PM

Out of place, dull and anti-climactic. A definite mis-fire in Black Sabbath. The "Drop of Water" segment is awesome.

mark meakin 23rd January 2009 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloud (Post 20910)
Out of place, dull and anti-climactic. A definite mis-fire in Black Sabbath. The "Drop of Water" segment is awesome.

Bloody scary as well that segment & "The Boris Karloff segment "The Wurdalak" is beautifully atmospheric.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 26th January 2009 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark meakin (Post 20877)
As well as THE MONSTER CLUB & TALES THAT WITNESS MADNESS though they are hardly classics they have their fans.You've also forgot one of my favourite Italian anthologies (If they count here) BLACK SABBATH which is highly recommended.

As I said,apologies for those I forgot.....:o
Anyway,had an anthology and Hammer weekend-TALES FROM THE CRYPT,TORTURE GARDEN,VAULT OF HORROR,FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE.....
Torture Garden,unfortunaltely,is the poorest Amicus anthology I've seen,it's okay,but not a patch on the rest.....:(

mark meakin 27th January 2009 01:45 PM

I agree Torture Garden is poor with some of the weakest stories of any Amicus anthology.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 27th January 2009 04:38 PM

Peter Cushing in the Edgar Allen Poe segment was the only saving grace....Jack Palance and Burgess Meredith were like fish out of water.
That old Hammer stalwart,Michael Ripper was also grossly underused....:(

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 7th October 2009 11:01 PM

Anthologies seem to be a popular topic just now.
I love THE TWILIGHT ZONE THE MOVIE,Spielberg's segment is it's only downfall.
It's a pity the tragic controversy surrounding this film,as I'd love to have seen another installment.Remember that old one with Burgess Meredith?

vincenzo 7th October 2009 11:09 PM

Does anyone remember Grim Prairie Tales?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 7th October 2009 11:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ain't seen this one Vince.
The nineties brought about some dire anthologies such as Campfire Tales.

vincenzo 7th October 2009 11:25 PM

GPT is no masterpiece but it's surprisingly enjoyable.

Vampix 9th October 2009 08:48 AM

I haven't seen it myself but Jeff Burr's anthology flick From a Whisper to a Scream is supposedly very good and pretty gruesome.

Rob Strange 16th October 2009 02:53 PM

I'm torn between Dead Of Night and Creepshow (voted for the latter). Both great, but I love "I want my CAKE!!!!" way too much.

If anyone is interested, there is a disturbing Asian horror anthology named Three Extremes (part Chinese, Japanese and Korean) which is well worth hunting down. Certainly the best anthology since the original Creepshow, I think.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 18th October 2009 11:02 AM

I see HMV has an exclusive R2 TWILIGHT ZONE THE MOVIE dvd.

Splatterdragon73 20th October 2009 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark meakin (Post 20877)

As mentioned earlier the first tale featured in BS ('The Telephone') is pretty mundane but 'The Wurdalak' and 'A Drop Of Water' are brilliantly done. Great atmosphere in the former and the twisted expression on the ghost's face in the latter is quite chilling.

I like the last story in TMC with Stewart Whitman fighting for his life against a group of demonic villagers and TTWM wasn't bad either.

It's been a while since i've seen TFTC and TVOH but i've got MGM's double-bill DVD and look forward to revisiting both entries.
I'll have to grab the R2 version of FBTG too sooner rather than later.

Personally i enjoy Creepshow (especially 'Something To Tide You Over.'), The House That Dripped Blood (John Pertwee is superb in this!) and Dr.Terror's House Of Horrors with old pro Christopher Lee coming under attack by Michael Gough's disembodied hand!
Cracks me up everytime this segment!!

Also, what about unsung anthology After Midnight? Pretty good if i remember rightly.:happy:

Splatterdragon73 22nd October 2009 10:01 AM

I forgot to mention Screamtime earlier.

A dirt cheap production to be sure but i really enjoy this creepy compendium. Don't laugh!:happy:

vincenzo 22nd October 2009 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 (Post 45193)
The House That Dripped Blood (John Pertwee is superb in this!)

The role was intended for Vincent Price but contract problems forced him to decline. I thought Pertwee did a terrific job though.

Did you spot Christopher Lee reading Lord Of The Rings during his story?

Splatterdragon73 22nd October 2009 02:02 PM

No, i must confess i didn't notice what literature good 'ol Chris Lee was perusing. A good observation on your part, Vincenzo.

Lee must've knew something nobody else did wwaaaayyyy back when and maybe the former Dracula could predict the future but kept quiet about it!

I find it quite unusual the veteran actor reading LOTR and decades later Lee is starring in the film versions!:happy:

DeadAlive 22nd October 2009 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Strange (Post 44795)
If anyone is interested, there is a disturbing Asian horror anthology named Three Extremes (part Chinese, Japanese and Korean) which is well worth hunting down. Certainly the best anthology since the original Creepshow, I think.

There are two "Three Extremes " films. The one you are referring to is the second one made but the first to get a DVD release. The one entitled "Three Extremes 2 " was made two years ealier with Chinese, Korean and Thai segments. The first released is far better, though both are worth checking out. Personally, I couldn't get into the Thai segment at all.

Vampix 22nd October 2009 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 43965)
Anthologies seem to be a popular topic just now.
I love THE TWILIGHT ZONE THE MOVIE,Spielberg's segment is it's only downfall.
It's a pity the tragic controversy surrounding this film,as I'd love to have seen another installment.Remember that old one with Burgess Meredith?

I have fond memories of this flick, particularly the gremlin on the plane wing story with John Lithgow and the hitchhiker segment with Dan Aykroyd.My favourite anthologies are Creepshow, Tales from the Crypt, Vault of Horror, Asylum, From Beyond the Grave and The House That Dripped Blood. :)

Rob Strange 22nd October 2009 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadAlive (Post 45449)
There are two "Three Extremes " films. The one you are referring to is the second one made but the first to get a DVD release. The one entitled "Three Extremes 2 " was made two years ealier with Chinese, Korean and Thai segments. The first released is far better, though both are worth checking out. Personally, I couldn't get into the Thai segment at all.

Cool - I'll check out the original. Wasn't it called Three and the one I'm banging on about called Three Extremes? I may be wrong, but I seem to remember Three (the first film) to be called Three Extremes 2 in the UK (by Tartan), even though it's the first installment and originally missing the 'Extremes' part of the title. Or that could have all been a dream. :noidea: ;)

DeadAlive 22nd October 2009 10:25 PM

Yes. Tartan released them the wrong way around in the UK, and the first film was just called "Three" when it was released in Hong Kong.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 22nd October 2009 11:17 PM

Anyone rate TRILOGY OF TERROR?

Mansonsblood 25th October 2009 03:13 PM

I liked it when I first saw it Reaps many moons ago but don't know if its stood the test of time.

Like Vincenzo said, Grim Prarie Tales is a lot of fun. I also picked up Spirits of the Dead about a year ago and it was an enjoyable if flawed watch.

Best ones have got to be the Amicus for me though, probably my favourite being Tales from the crypt.

mark meakin 26th October 2009 10:49 AM

Anybody seen TRICK R TREAT due out today ?.Apparently it's supposed to be okay :-
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0862856/

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 26th October 2009 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark meakin (Post 45836)
Anybody seen TRICK R TREAT due out today ?.Apparently it's supposed to be okay :-
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0862856/

I'm going shopping tonight, so I might pick it up from Asda... :biggrin:

vincenzo 20th May 2010 04:55 PM

Tales From The Crypt has been passed 15 and due for release next month on the Final Cut label. No idea on its uncut/cut status or which print has been submitted.

The old Fox video release featured the cut cinema print, though the uncut version turns up on TV.