Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd March 2021, 07:16 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I couldn’t disagree more, this is different and it is relatively new - it’s a very vocal minority of people who use social media as a tool to vent their collective spleen on anything that will deflect the misery and insecurity that plagues their own lives. These people who purport to be of the left
are nothing of the sort - those holding traditional left wing views encourage debate, do not jump to conclusions about others and are accepting of all people - the newfangled, “woke” left is as censorious as the right wing of which it’s supposed to oppose - as I said, pandering to it does not bode well for the future.
Old 22nd March 2021, 07:30 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@TheOverlook View Post
I couldn’t disagree more, this is different and it is relatively new - it’s a very vocal minority of people who use social media as a tool to vent their collective spleen on anything that will deflect the misery and insecurity that plagues their own lives. These people who purport to be of the left
are nothing of the sort - those holding traditional left wing views encourage debate, do not jump to conclusions about others and are accepting of all people - the newfangled, “woke” left is as censorious as the right wing of which it’s supposed to oppose - as I said, pandering to it does not bode well for the future.
Have another read. I'm not defending it or pandering to it. Just pointing out that it's not new.

I wasn't making a judgment as to the rights and wrongs. The example I used to illustrate the point just happened to be an example of right wing cancel culture to show that it's been happening for many years and I used that one because its relevant to this board. I'm sure there are plenty of left-wing examples.

"it’s a very vocal minority of people who use social media as a tool to vent their collective spleen on anything that will deflect the misery and insecurity that plagues their own lives"

This could apply to both sides of the argument.

But anyway, I was trying to point out the thought processes that were probably being considered but I suspect you are wanting a political argument so I'll withdraw from the arena.
Paul@TheOverlook likes this.
Old 22nd March 2021, 07:55 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I’m not going out of my way to be contrary, it’s just my point of view - these are dangerous precedents that are being set - taking Arrow’s as an example surely the right sort of reaction is to postpone release until more is known? The individual who works for them, who posted a comment, was blatantly trying to curry favour with his epic but of virtue-signalling when he said “if you’ve not heard the Richard Stanley releases are as cancelled as he is” - pretty poor given that he represents the company.

Getting back to my point, while there’s been malevolence from the Right in the past we’re talking less progressive times and, let’s be fair, we *expect* that sort of behaviour from the Right (particularly the Religious right and folk like the aforementioned Mary Whitehouse) - I expect better of those purporting to be of the Left and it’s spiralling because its getting its own way - companies are scared to say or do the wrong thing in case it leads to a call for cancelling - this is tyranny and, as I already mentioned, it could be put in its place if everyone stood together against it. There’s so much about it that irks me - there’s a complete lack of emotional maturity for a start - there are never grey areas, everything is black and white, right or wrong. It’s outrage is selective: it latches onto to something but fails to see similar injustice elsewhere. It’s a hive mind mentality - there’s never any individual thought or expression , it’s views are only that of consensus - literally vacuous drones without an original thought and spoon-fed outrage from their news services of choice.

Anyway, I hope Stanley is innocent - firstly because I choose to see good in most people and, secondly, because I’d love to see egg on the face of those who’ve called for him to be de-platformed before he’s faced these accusations.
Old 22nd March 2021, 08:08 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I’m not going out of my way to be contrary, it’s just my point of view - these are dangerous precedents that are being set - taking Arrow’s as an example surely the right sort of reaction is to postpone release until more is known? The individual who works for them, who posted a comment, was blatantly trying to curry favour with his epic but of virtue-signalling when he said “if you’ve not heard the Richard Stanley releases are as cancelled as he is” - pretty poor given that he represents the company.

Getting back to my point, while there’s been malevolence from the Right in the past we’re talking less progressive times and, let’s be fair, we *expect* that sort of behaviour from the Right (particularly the Religious right and folk like the aforementioned Mary Whitehouse) - I expect better of those purporting to be of the Left and it’s spiralling because its getting its own way - companies are scared to say or do the wrong thing in case it leads to a call for cancelling - this is tyranny and, as I already mentioned, it could be put in its place if everyone stood together against it. There’s so much about it that irks me - there’s a complete lack of emotional maturity for a start - there are never grey areas, everything is black and white, right or wrong. It’s outrage is selective: it latches onto to something but fails to see similar injustice elsewhere. It’s a hive mind mentality - there’s never any individual thought or expression , it’s views are only that of consensus - literally vacuous drones without an original thought and spoon-fed outrage from their news services of choice.

Anyway, I hope Stanley is innocent - firstly because I choose to see good in most people and, secondly, because I’d love to see egg on the face of those who’ve called for him to be de-platformed before he’s faced these accusations.
Totally agree with you, Paul.

It's the same with Marilyn Manson and the music industry.
Old 22nd March 2021, 08:35 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Everything today is judge and jury via social media and that bothers me.

Entitled nobodies with no discernible life to speak of so they have to poke their noses into the lives of others. Judge, jury and then, without any f*cks given, on to the next subject .
Old 22nd March 2021, 09:36 PM
Cult Addict

I'd agree with that, waiting for the next bandwagon to jump on, at the moment i think half of it is just an excuse for people to get out and defy lockdown, go to a protest and have a day out.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 22nd March 2021, 10:08 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:

Well I'm glad I came back to read as I agree with practically all of that.

I prefer to give the tweeter the benefit of the doubt because I can understand their frustration and anger. I agree there should have been further thought and a proper balanced company statement.

In a former profession I was regularly in contact with the 'bad' in society. Until you've read enough social services reports you can never envisage the mountain of sh*t that is hidden behind closed doors.

PS I wasn't a social worker btw. I just did a task that gave me access to the paperwork.

Like this? Share it using the links below!