Netflix set to raise prices for UK users - The Portsmouth Evening News

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 6th October 2017, 01:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Thank god for Kodi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 6th October 2017, 01:49 PM
Cult Veteran

It only went up to £7.49 recently
I subscribe to too many things at the moment and Netflix might be one which gets cancelled, definitely Now TV because movies + TV costs a fortune.

EDIT - I realise that they article says that it's the first price rise in 2 years, however, that is slightly untrue because if you joined Netflix when it started in the UK the membership fee was £5.99 for the first year or so then new members had to pay £7.49 while 'legacy' members still got the lower price. This year they scrapped that for older members and everyone had to pay the same. So it's a double increase for me!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 6th October 2017, 01:50 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

This is the story:

For the first time in two years, online streaming giant Netflix has raised its monthly fee.

The cost of a basic will remain at £5.99, however, standard and premium membership prices are set to rise.

Standard membership will jump from £7.49 to £7.99 a month, and Premium membership set to rise from £8.99 to £9.99 for users.

New subscribers to Netflix will immediately pay the new rates whereas existing customers will see price increases from 19 October and be given 30 days notice of the change.

The online streaming service, which currently has 104 million subscribers globally, will also be raising rates for the US, France and Germany this year.

Netflix have released a statement regarding the price hikes: ‘From time to time, Netflix plans and pricing are adjusted as we add more exclusive TV shows and movies, introduce new product features and improve the overall Netflix experience to help members find something great to watch even faster.’

Netflix is set to provide more original content in 2018 and already has a budget of $6 billion for new productions. The new money generated from the subscription price rises is expected to contribute towards the production of new original content.

– – – – – –

Even with the increased prices, I think Netflix provides great value for money the shows I've seen which they have made and are exclusive to the service, from House of Cards to Orange is the New Black have all been superb quality. Branching out into films and buying the rights to previous (Silence) and upcoming (The Irishman) films by Martin Scorsese shows their commitment to a wide variety of output by some of the world's most talented filmmakers.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 6th October 2017, 01:54 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
It only went up to £7.49 recently
I subscribe to too many things at the moment and Netflix might be one which gets cancelled, definitely Now TV because movies + TV costs a fortune.
With Netflix, Now TV and Amazon Video, is a huge collection of films and TV shows on disc, I have almost no need for TV through Sky or Virgin Media, so my current TV package might be replaced with a PVR box and Freeview sooner rather than later.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 6th October 2017, 02:00 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Perhaps coincidentally, I've just received an email about the BFI premiere of a new film coming to Netflix: Mudbound, which will be available to stream on November 17 and has a very promising storyline.

Set in the rural American South during World War II, Dee Rees’s Mudbound is an epic story of two families pitted against one another by a ruthless social hierarchy, yet bound together by the shared farmland of the Mississippi Delta. Mudbound follows the McAllan family, newly transplanted from the quiet civility of Memphis and unprepared for the harsh demands of farming. Despite the grandiose dreams of Henry (Jason Clarke), the clan's leader, his wife Laura (Carey Mulligan) struggles to keep the faith in her husband's losing venture. Meanwhile, Hap and Florence Jackson (Rob Morgan, Mary J. Blige) — fellow sharecroppers who have worked the land for generations — struggle bravely to build a small dream of their own despite the rigidly enforced social barriers they face. The war upends both families' plans as their returning loved ones, Jamie McAllan (Garrett Hedlund) and Ronsel Jackson (Jason Mitchell), forge a fast but uneasy friendship that challenges the brutal realities of the Jim Crow South in which they live.
Old 6th October 2017, 02:02 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
With Netflix, Now TV and Amazon Video, is a huge collection of films and TV shows on disc, I have almost no need for TV through Sky or Virgin Media, so my current TV package might be replaced with a PVR box and Freeview sooner rather than later.
Exactly, Now TV is pricey in comparison to Netflix, but it's a bargain compared to the TV packages from Sky and Virgin, in fact, I think Now TV entertainment package is better than the Virgin HD package as you get Sky Atlantic.

I just wish that you could get the Amazon Video removed from Prime to get a cheaper subscription

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 22nd October 2017, 08:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Anyone seen this yet?
Old 22nd October 2017, 08:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Not yet, but I plan on watching it tomorrow
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 20th March 2018, 04:35 AM
Cult Master

Netflix reveals horror movies people are too terrified to finish | Daily Mail Online

I would suggest that people didn't watch these films until the end not because they are so scary, but because they are so poor!

Cabin Fever (2016)
Carnage Park
Mexico Barbaro
Pirhana (sic) (2010)
Raw
Teeth
The Conjuring
The Human Centipede 2: Full Sequence
The Void
Jeruzalem
trebor8273 likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Like this? Share it using the links below!