Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   Horror Film Scores (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/10846-horror-film-scores.html)

profondo rosso 8th December 2012 07:45 PM

HORROR SOUNDTRACKS

As an avid fan of soundtracks can anyone recommend soundtracks that have clips/audio included from the films themselves that they could mention? I have been driving around in my car, as its a big part of my job role, whilst listening to various soundtracks but really enjoy the halloween tracks with the clips in, night of the living dead anniversary edition with 'they are coming to get you Barbara!' great stress relievers in traffic, especially 'shoot em in the head' on full blast when some idiot cuts you up!;) basically want some you tips off you guys / girls of films to listen to audibly....thanks in advance.

Any Argento fans who love Goblin, ive just received my vinyl copy of Goblin live in Rome, fantastic double album and highly recommend.
http://pictures.cdconnection.com/covers/1645121.jpg

Justin101 8th December 2012 08:17 PM

This is a 70 minute mix of soundtracks with film audio and dialogue and sound effects - it's pretty good :D

https://soundcloud.com/deathwaltzrec...oween-mix-2012

profondo rosso 11th December 2012 05:45 PM

cheers mate, awesome lisitening. Is there a way of downloading this?

Justin101 11th December 2012 06:20 PM

SoundCloud Downloader

Try this, paste the link into the downloader, not strictly legit, but then I doubt the mix is fully licensed.

profondo rosso 15th December 2012 11:04 PM

Tried it with no joy :confused:

Still listening though :rockon:

Slippery Jack 15th December 2012 11:08 PM

I can't even find how to play the damn thing :mmph: Do you have to sign up to the site or something . . . ?

Slippery Jack 15th December 2012 11:09 PM

Oops, ignore that, just spotted the play button :doh:

Would like to download a copy for the car though . . .

Justin101 16th December 2012 07:45 AM

http://www.mediafire.com/?6jixi3of6o66a9b

That should work, by popular demand he re-uploaded it.

profondo rosso 16th December 2012 01:51 PM

appreciate the effort, tried again and it is asking me to install two different pieces of executable software, download mamagement stuff! one is download manager and the other ilivid, do you know if these are safe? always a bit apprehensive just charging on ahead with exe. files. thanks

Justin101 16th December 2012 03:07 PM

The problem may be with your browser, I use chrome and clicking on the link just gives a download button, doesn't ask me to install any software, I'm always dubious about installing 'helper' software. I would recommend using a browser such as Google chrome, especially if you're still using Internet Explorer.

Slippery Jack 16th December 2012 03:11 PM

Is that a general rule? I've always used Internet Explorer by default. Is this not a wise move (I got the mix to download no problems though) . . . ?

profondo rosso 16th December 2012 03:56 PM

I use firefox but have chrome installed also so will give it another shot, cheers.

VicDakin 16th December 2012 04:05 PM

not sure if this is any help but I down loaded the file with no problem,I also use Firefox didn't seem to be any problems that I could see.

Justin101 16th December 2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 302699)
Is that a general rule? I've always used Internet Explorer by default. Is this not a wise move (I got the mix to download no problems though) . . . ?

IE is quite an old fashioned browser, the newest version is better but Chrome and Firefox are based on more modern programming. I prefer Chrome because it 'feels' lighter than Firefox which can chug along at some points. It's all personal preference though at the end of the day.

profondo rosso 16th December 2012 04:18 PM

Heh, it worked this time. Damn those gremlins! It did not try to suck me into download software and did nothing different? Thanks a lot. next stop car stereo usb stick :)

Robert W 29th April 2013 11:12 PM

Horror Film Scores

Not a thread about what's your favorite score, but one about the first time you ever remember being aware of a horror film's score as something other than just background music. For me it was the American re-edit of Gojira. I saw it way back on tv in the mid 70s and remember being truly disturbed by numerous pieces in the film, most notably that discordant piano that was used during the scene in which the oxygen destroyer was demonstrated on this fish in Serizawa's lab. Also the music set to the school children's prayer for peace as well.

The next instance I remember of again being aware of score was Halloween, then Psycho.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Delirium 30th April 2013 08:29 AM

Yes, one that particularly stuck with me as a kid was Krzysztof Komeda's hauntingly beautiful score to Polanski's Fearless Vampire Killers. I used to rewind and watch those credits over and over again.

It remains one of my favourite credit sequences and still sends chills up my spine.

Title credits from the Fearless Vampire Killers - YouTube

Justin101 30th April 2013 11:41 AM

Being an 80's child I'd have to say that Halloween and Nightmare on Elm Street really stick out in my mind as soundtracks that were a character in the film and really stuck in your head adding to suspense, the horror, the shocks!

As a grown up, the music now makes or breaks a horror film for me, and I'll often base my appreciation of a film on a number of factors but the score being a very important one.

Delirium 30th April 2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 338560)
As a grown up, the music now makes or breaks a horror film for me, and I'll often base my appreciation of a film on a number of factors but the score being a very important one.

Have you seen the giallo, Death Laid an Egg. That's a soundtrack that tested my patience to say the least, although I'm intrigued to see the film again as it's so unusual.

Justin101 30th April 2013 04:51 PM

I've never seen it although it does have quite a bit of love on this forum, it's pretty hard to come by isn't it?

Rik 30th April 2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 338610)
I've never seen it although it does have quite a bit of love on this forum, it's pretty hard to come by isn't it?

Not if you know where to look, I don't want to break any forum rules but a certain video site may be of assistance ;)

Justin101 30th April 2013 05:05 PM

say no more.

Delirium 30th April 2013 06:36 PM

Well if you just want to hear the music (and save the piracy) then rock out to this:

Bruno Maderna - La morte ha fatto l'uovo, 1-6 - YouTube

Justin101 30th April 2013 06:59 PM

I had a listen on Youtube separate to this and I actually quite like it haha - it's weird.

Delirium 30th April 2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 338659)
I had a listen on Youtube separate to this and I actually quite like it haha - it's weird.

It's an acquired taste for sure! Many love it. It's certainly original.

I actually own it, but hadn't listened to it before watching the movie.

Robert W 30th April 2013 09:18 PM

Gojira (1954) - Prayer For Peace - YouTube
Bernard Herrmann - "Psycho" Original Score (1960) - YouTube
Halloween theme (1978) - YouTube

Beyond72 2nd May 2013 10:17 AM

Would love to say it was some obscure giallo, but probably Halloween, Friday the 13th & The Omen films.

Chrispyduck 27th May 2013 06:29 AM

I don't recall any movies from my early years with a soundtrack that stands out, it's only in the past 5 years that I have seen Suspiria, and that is a film with a soundtrack that really adds to the tension/horror, one of the reasons why I love it so much.

Zann 27th May 2013 10:15 AM

Christopher Young's Hellraiser score! Loved Entombed's cover too! :rockon:

"No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering!" :clap:

SCM 27th May 2013 10:20 AM

For me it was the soundtrack to Halloween or Rosemary's Baby

Vampix 27th May 2013 11:39 AM

Creepshow (1982) - Original Theme Music - YouTube

Day Of The Dead ( Soundtrack - Main Title ) - YouTube

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 27th May 2013 12:24 PM

Probably The Exorcist theme for me. Mainly because my dad was (and still is) a big Mike Oldfield fan.

Demoncrat 27th May 2013 01:02 PM

The first film score I took notice of was probably either The Haunting or Psycho.

Vampix 27th May 2013 01:03 PM

Return Of The Living Dead main titles theme - YouTube

Vampix 28th May 2013 02:15 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDfAKQ1Xsa8