Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th May 2013, 02:22 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Everyone talking about it makes me want to watch it now, to be honest I've only seen it once and that was a few years ago. And I can't REALY remember anything about it.
Old 18th May 2013, 12:57 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterMillennium View Post
oh come on, take it the way it was intended

the info from your first post comes direct from Clive's Twitter, and was posted a year ago, so I think it's fair to call it old news... the info you've just put up now is more recent, and good to hear!

I'm no reviewer, but I will tell you that the new cut is completely faithful to the book, and I think gives a better portrait of Midian. problem is, the new 'found footage' currently resembles a home video shot on a '90s camcorder, and I fear for just how much quality they can get out of it. Russell Cherrington did assure us at the screening that it could be brought up to a reasonable standard, but that baking the film was going to be a very large expense, hence the distributors' need for proof that there would be a market for it
Didnt take it anyway? Just saying that I have been on here and picked up very usefull information that is over a year old that I did not know and thats why I root around the various threads as I do not know everything and there is some very knowledgeable people on here, and if it is useful to one person then job done, thats what this sites here for!

Totally agree with you, I have heard the dropped in extra footage is vhs quality and looks quite bad, hopefully they can restore this for the Blu Ray edition to an acceptable level. I have also read that the Dr Decker story, why he kills, why he hates Boone etc is not elaborated on as I believe Cronenberg's killer is ruthless and brutal.....yet wasted. Could of had a spin off movie line me thinks? Can not wait for this, saw it on cinema for original release and it is so unique, yes it has its flaws but what the hell, its a bonkers film!
Old 1st June 2013, 08:37 PM
Cultist

The plan, last time I heard, was to search for the original missing 35mm footage and restore it. Barring that, the VHS footage will be used instead. The price I heard the VHS restoration will cost is something like $50,000. As to why Barker himself just doesn't pay to have it done is beyond me though, as it's his baby.
Old 1st June 2013, 09:17 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Yeah, I saw the Cabal Cut at the cinema too, so looking forward to this. It's one where the extra footage is certainly worthwhile - there's far more character depth and reasoning behind motives as already mentioned. And loads more of Midian, which really enhances the madness - including fun stop-motion dinosaur thing. It's more of the book, basically.

But yes, the VHS footage stands out like a sore thumb. You grow accustomed to it, but it will need some serious work if the whole thing is going to hit blu ray.
troggi likes this.
Old 3rd June 2013, 11:36 AM
Cult Acolyte

I've read Barker's novel, Cabal, and seen the edited original film, Nightbreed, a couple of times.I've never been too impressed with the film but I enjoyed the novel.I'd probably seek out a director's cut of the movie just to see what all the fuss is about.Who knows, I may enjoy it a lot more with the additional footage.
Old 3rd June 2013, 11:41 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampix View Post
I've read Barker's novel, Cabal, and seen the edited original film, Nightbreed, a couple of times.I've never been too impressed with the film but I enjoyed the novel.I'd probably seek out a director's cut of the movie just to see what all the fuss is about.Who knows, I may enjoy it a lot more with the additional footage.
The Cabal Cut contains something like 45 mins of extra footage and is, from the accounts of those whom I know who've seen it, a vast improvement over the original theatrical cut. Decker, I'm told, has more screen time, thankfully, and the new ending is much more satisfactory.
Old 20th July 2013, 02:25 AM
Cultist

Cabal Cut to be released by Shout Factory
bdc, wongfeihung62 and trebor8273 like this.

Last edited by WinterMillennium; 20th July 2013 at 04:27 AM.
Old 20th July 2013, 04:45 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterMillennium View Post
Cabal Cut to be released by Shout Factory
Great choice there. Shout/Scream Factory puts out a very nice product from what I've seen. Hopefully, they'll have plenty of extras lined up as well. Would love to hear a cast commentary with Cronenberg on board.
Old 30th October 2013, 01:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

It's old news, but it looks likely that we'll get a DVD of this here in the UK at some point in the future, and rightly so too seeing as Clive is British and so is Russell Cherrington, who has spearheaded the restoration of the Cabal Cut.
I would've picked up the US release, but I'd rather give my brass to a UK company

Restored Nightbreed Cut Gets DVD Release | Movie News | Empire
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 30th October 2013, 01:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
It's old news, but it looks likely that we'll get a DVD of this here in the UK at some point in the future, and rightly so too seeing as Clive is British and so is Russell Cherrington, who has spearheaded the restoration of the Cabal Cut.
I would've picked up the US release, but I'd rather give my brass to a UK company

Restored Nightbreed Cut Gets DVD Release | Movie News | Empire
I thought the shout factory was a blu ray release.

Like this? Share it using the links below!