Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th June 2013, 03:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Default Blood Of The Vampire (1958)

Couldn't find a thread for this Jimmy Sangster scripted little gem but I recently received the new Artus films release from France & I'm pleased to say it's the best release yet improving on the previous longest version released by No Shame in Italy.It restores two sequences missing from that release of the housekeeper of Callistratus having a needle inserted into her neck, plus Carl the hunchback dribbling blood as he dies after being shot.The 'Continental' footage of the 'Dungeon' scene which runs nearly 1 min 42 sec (Totalling missing from the Dark Sky version doubled with The Hellfire Club) looks noticably better here than in its Italian counterpart.Caps below:

bdc likes this.

Last edited by mark meakin; 10th June 2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10th June 2013, 04:13 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

There is one brief shot of a second or so missing which is only in the Italian release of a man having a needle inserted into his neck, but this version is the best to date & on the French soundtrack the screams of Callistratus as he's being killed by several guard dogs are more noticable than on the Dark Sky, No Shame (English/Italian audio tracks) releases.The dvd comes with an English track with removable subs which is another plus.An earlier pan shot in the laboratory of Callistratus is considerably longer than the one in the DARK SKY version showing various human organs & bones.
bdc and g053584398 like this.
Old 10th June 2013, 06:00 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Nice one Mark-Must track one of these down!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 10th June 2013, 06:09 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Thanks for the info and caps.
I own the Noshame dvd but was already planning to get the Artus dvd as well.
Old 10th June 2013, 07:38 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Ordered this AND Horror Hospital on the same label.

Time to offload the old Elite disc!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 10th June 2013, 08:15 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Can you still cancel Horror Hospital Reaps as I've read it has forced French subs?

Langues : français, anglais
Sous-titres : français (imposés)

http://www.psychovision.net/films/dv...al-artus-films

I'd recommend getting the beautiful looking Dark Sky dvd.
Old 10th June 2013, 09:13 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
Can you still cancel Horror Hospital Reaps as I've read it has forced French subs?

Langues : français, anglais
Sous-titres : français (imposés)

Horror Hospital - Artus Films

I'd recommend getting the beautiful looking Dark Sky dvd.
I have the Artus releases of this & CASTLE OF THE LIVING DEAD (also superior to the UK release & longer) & the subs were removable.With my dvd & Blu-Ray remotes, I'm able to switch audio options during the film & remove the French subs.
Old 10th June 2013, 09:16 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Yeah some are removable on the Artus discs but Psychovision says the ones on Horror Hospital (when choosing the English track) are fixed.
Maybe a contractual obligation?

Anyway...we're getting distracted...I'll probably order the new Artus dvd of Blood Of The Vampire (1958) this week based on the info I've read.
Old 10th June 2013, 09:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Thanks for the info and caps.
I own the Noshame dvd but was already planning to get the Artus dvd as well.
Worth getting as the 'Continental' footage in the No Shame release is an odd blend of video & film footage,especially during the dungeon scene.The footage is far better integrated into the Artus version using a film source only.While faded & riddled with print damage, the footage used is still noticably better.
bdc likes this.
Old 10th June 2013, 09:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Yeah some are removable on the Artus discs but Psychovision says the ones on Horror Hospital (when choosing the English track) are fixed.
Maybe a contractual obligation?

Anyway...we're getting distracted...I'll probably order the new Artus dvd of Blood Of The Vampire (1958) this week based on the info I've read.
They like their forced subs those darn Frenchies !.Be fantastic if they could release the 1959 JACK THE RIPPER next with the 'Continental' footage.I have the Sinister film release JACK LO SQUARTATORE, but the 'nude' footage is included as an extra only in poor quality & the print used seems to be a BBFC censored one.The 'colour' lift shot is included, but this looks like it's from another source & was only possibly in the US prints.An uncut French print on You Tube with the nudity,only had the sequence in B & W.
bdc likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!