Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Poll: What's Your Favourite Norwegian Horror?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
What's Your Favourite Norwegian Horror?

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th July 2013, 06:20 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Yup!

Its all Kyle's fault.
It usually is . . .
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 4th July 2013, 06:27 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
It usually is . . .
That sounds about right!
Old 5th July 2013, 05:56 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Aside from Troll Hunter, I either haven't seen or don't care for any of the other films in the poll.

My selection would be Pål Sletaune's Naboer (Next Door), which is an effective little horror-thriller involving a man caught up in a tense, sexually charged web of lies tinged with some brutal violence.
Old 5th July 2013, 07:35 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Aside from Troll Hunter, I either haven't seen or don't care for any of the other films in the poll.
Give the first Cold Prey a try. I'm not a big slasher fan, but enjoyed this. Gorgeous snowy mountains, a nicely designed spooky abondoned lodge hotel setting, and decently developed and likable characters. Plus it favours atmospherics and building tension over gory kills. Good stuff ...
Old 5th July 2013, 08:40 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Give the first Cold Prey a try. I'm not a big slasher fan, but enjoyed this. Gorgeous snowy mountains, a nicely designed spooky abondoned lodge hotel setting, and decently developed and likable characters. Plus it favours atmospherics and building tension over gory kills. Good stuff ...
I've seen Cold Prey, and really didn't care for it much to be honest.

My thoughts:

Quote:
I'd heard a lot of good things about Cold Prey, and that it was a 'different' kind of slasher film, and that it was full of new and refreshing ideas - therefore, I went in expecting this to be true. Unfortunately I have to say I found Cold Prey to be very disappointing. Dull, unoriginal and bringing nothing new that I hadn't seen before to this already over-milked sub-genre of horror.

The effects were okay, but the story was very patched together and predictable. I was hoping to enjoy Cold Prey, and perhaps I went in expecting too much, but in my opinion it is nothing special; watchable but that's it.

I've still yet to see the sequel, which I've heard is better... I hope it is.
I wrote that in 2009 and still haven't managed to check out the sequel
Old 5th July 2013, 08:52 AM
Cult Acolyte

The sequel is worse... and yeah, I think you went in expecting too much . . .
Old 5th July 2013, 08:52 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Haven't seen neither Rovdyr or Cold Prey before but i just ordered them cheap over here.

Not very often i see new films because i always think they are crap for some reason.
Old 5th July 2013, 11:05 AM
Cultist

Trollhunter got my vote but I still haven't seen Escape. On DVD I have cold prey 1 & 2, trollhunter, dead snow and will buy cold prey 3 once they release it!
Not to sure how much am looking forward to dead snow 2 since I found out its going to be English language.
Old 24th July 2013, 04:38 PM
Cultist

Films from Norway are called Norwegian. The Nordic countries, or the Nordics, is a geographical, political and cultural region consisting of Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Iceland and associated territories Faroe Islands (Denmark), Greenland (Denmark), Åland Islands (Finland) and Svalbard (Norway).

But almost all good Nordic horror films comes from Norway, so the title is still pretty accurate. My favourite is Dead Snow.

From my country Sweden there is very many horror films, but most of them sucks, those that are worth watching that I can think of right now that is worth watching is Let the Right One In, Drowning Ghost, Frostbite, Psalm 21, The Visitors, Marianne, Evil Ed and The Unknown. The only one of those that I would describe as "really good" is Let the Right One In.

From Denmark there is also a few good ones from Denmark like Nightwatch, Backstabbed, Final Hour, Possessed, Flænset, Room 205, Opstandelsen, Green Butchers and The Substitute.

From Finland there is not very many at all, but Rare Exports is an awesome film. And of course the classic Valkoinen Peura (The White Reindeer) from 1952. Dark Floors (Finnish horror film, shot in English) is also pretty good

From Iceland there is the Reykjavik Whale Watching Massacre, which I found pretty underrated and entertaining. There is also a few obscure ones from the 80's like Draugasaga and Tilbury, that I got on unofficial releases from special sources in Iceland.

From Greenland there is only one, called Qaqqat Alanngui (Shadows in the Mountains), a slasher type film based on Greenlandic Inuit mythology. Picked it up at the Greenlandic consulate in Copenhagen earlier this year. The Greenlandic DVD release (yes, an actual Greenlandic DVD release) is spoken in the Greenlandic Eskimo-Aleut language with English subtitles. I liked it.

From Svalbard (population 2,642), the Faroe Islands (population 49,709) and the Åland Islands (population 28,355) there is as far as I know no horror films, and barely any films at all.
Old 10th August 2013, 09:15 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dead Snow is getting a sequel titled Dead Snow:War of the Dead, I hope it's as good as the original, which I love

Go Behind the Scenes of Dead Snow: War of the Dead - Dread Central
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Like this? Share it using the links below!