Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th July 2013, 11:40 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default Emporio di Satana!

As I recently watched Satan's Blood it has me in the mood for good Euro Satan/Witchcraft/Possession films. Anyone care to share their favorites and maybe say a few words about each?

The Antichrist(The Tempter) is one of the first films that pops into my mind when someone mentions this sub-genre. Excellent cinematography and a sleazy (goat scene anyone?) atmosphere keep this one interesting throughout.
Old 7th October 2013, 11:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I enjoyed The Antichrist, which I thought had a great cast and was very well shot, as you have already mentioned. I believe that Aristide Massacessi (aka Joe D'Amato) was the cinematographer on that one.

I would also like to see more European devil-related films from the '70s. I watched Diabolicamente Letizia a few months ago, which can be picked up on a DVD titled Sex, Demons and Death on the One Seven label, and it was quite a sleazy little film. The DVD featured an anamorphic widescreen image from a very worn print, but I wasn't displeased with it.

You might want to check out Medaglione Insanguinato (aka The Night Child) if you haven't already seen it, which is available on a very good DVD from Arrow here in the UK, although it isn't nearly as sleazy as the other films mentioned.
Jinx_Barkman likes this.
Old 8th October 2013, 02:44 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Thanks for the heads up on Sex, Death and Demons. I'll have to give it a watch soon.

The Night Child is definitely a highlight of the sub-genre. I still need to pick up Arrow's release which looks to be a great one.
g053584398 likes this.
Old 8th October 2013, 03:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I enjoyed Satan's Blood but I didn't like The Antichrist. De Martino's follow-up Holocaust 2000 (aka Rain of Fire) is much better. Did the 'head being sliced off by helicopter blade' gag before Dawn of the Dead and did it a lot better too.

Has anyone seen Mario Gariazzo's The Eerie Midnight Horror Show aka The Sexorcist?
g053584398 and Jinx_Barkman like this.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 8th October 2013, 03:43 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Not European but the Mexican film Satanico Pandemonium is very good. The Mondo Macabro dvd looks fantastic as well.

Others you could have a look at are -

The Devils Wedding Night
The Bloodsucker Leads the Dance
The Demons

I trust you've seen classics like Blood on Satan's Claw, Curse of the Crimson Alter, City of the Dead, Witchcraft, Devils of Darkness and Satan's Slave.
Old 8th October 2013, 03:54 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Other witchcraft movies i rate are -

The Mephisto Waltz
Nude for Satan
Cry of the Banshee
To the Devil a Daughter
The Long Hair of Death
Virgin Witch
Black Magic Rites
Old 8th October 2013, 04:21 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Satan's Blood is a great film.

Don't Deliver Us from Evil is worth a mention. A creepy little exploitative French shocker about two young girls who make a pact with the devil. This is a personal favourite of mine.

The Devil's Nightmare is also quite entertaining and has Erika Blanc star as a demonic succubus. Filled with cheese and softcore sex and nudity, you can't really go wrong...

An Angel for Satan is another that is worth a watch. Barbara Steele stars in this fairly decent gothic mystery revolving around a statue and mysterious deaths in a village that has been attributed to witchcraft.

I'm also surprised Black Sunday hasn't been mentioned yet, but I guess that's a bit too obvious a choice
Old 8th October 2013, 04:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

On the subject of witchcraft and the occult, could anyone recommend me any films with occult atmosphere comparable to films like Rosemary's Baby, The Ninth Gate, Inferno, Eyes Wide Shut, and the films of Kenneth Anger? I've watched many occult films but it's hard to find them with atmosphere like that. If anyone's interested, John Zorn's album 'IAO' has this atmosphere that I speak of too
Old 8th October 2013, 04:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasteropod View Post
On the subject of witchcraft and the occult, could anyone recommend me any films with occult atmosphere comparable to films like Rosemary's Baby, The Ninth Gate, Inferno, Eyes Wide Shut, and the films of Kenneth Anger? I've watched many occult films but it's hard to find them with atmosphere like that. If anyone's interested, John Zorn's album 'IAO' has this atmosphere that I speak of too
Eyes Wide Shut? Say whaaat? I recommend Alucarda then. Cough.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 8th October 2013, 04:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Eyes Wide Shut? Say whaaat? I recommend Alucarda then. Cough.
What does that mean, that you don't like it? Haha.

I saw Alucarda once but didn't get into it at all, it is one I plan to give another chance though.

Like this? Share it using the links below!