Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   The Remakes Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/1130-remakes-thread.html)

Pigasus 4th February 2010 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 61395)
Can anyone name me a remake that puts the original to shame?:nono:

Most obvious..

Cronenberg's The Fly.
The 1950s' original was silly fun, but Crony's remake is simply one of greatest SF-horrors.

Carpenter's masterpiece The Thing.

Less obvious...

Thir13en Ghosts (2001) - despite it's flaws, some dazzling production design and effects work makes this far superior entertainment to William Castle's original 'gimmick' flick.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 4th February 2010 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pigasus (Post 61436)
Most obvious..

Cronenberg's The Fly.
The 1950s' original was silly fun, but Crony's remake is simply one of greatest SF-horrors.

Carpenter's masterpiece The Thing.

Less obvious...

Thir13en Ghosts (2001) - despite it's flaws, some dazzling production design and effects work makes this far superior entertainment to William Castle's original 'gimmick' flick.

All fantastic remakes there, Pigasus. :nod:

Although, I personally don't think that the originals of any of the above were necessarily put to shame by the remakes. I believe that they are still good films in their own right (particularly The Thing from Another World :nod:); but I certainly agree that the remakes were better than the originals.

I've been having a think about the challenge that reaps proposed, and the only film I can think of where (IMO) the remake certainly puts the original to shame is Soderbergh's Ocean's 11. Not horror, I know but that's all I've been able to think of. The reamke was hardly an amazing piece of film-making but knocks spots of the tawdry, dull original IMO.

The Ocean sequels, however - now that's a different case entirely! :ack:

Just out of curiosity, it would be good if people could suggest a list of 'must-see' remakes (in their opinion), as sometimes it's hard to know what to watch without wanting to tear your own eyeballs out in frustration, and I'd love some suggestions... (and anyone who lists Nic Cage's Wicker Man will be lynched, eh reaps?! :chainsaw: :biggrin: :lol:)

vincenzo 4th February 2010 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye (Post 61451)
Just out of curiosity, it would be good if people could suggest a list of 'must-see' remakes (in their opinion)

Basically anything that wasn't remade in the Noughties. The best ones for me would be......

Invasion Of The Body Snatchers
The Fly
The Thing
The Blob
Cat People
Nosferatu

gag 4th February 2010 02:04 PM

[QUOTE=DeadAlive;23820][FONT="Century Gothic"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Yellow"]I didn't mind "The Hills Have Eyes" and I thought "Dawn Of The Dead" was entertaining though not exactly a remake. (The term re-imagining keeps getting bantered about.) As for the rest I really have no time for them. I usually make the effort to see a remake just in case there is something there worth catching but it inevitably ends in disappointment. I'm yet to find a J-Horror remake worth recommending.

i totaly agree H H E was quite good even tho 2nd 1 wasnt but then again same as the originals 2nd wasnt that good ..... i also enjoyed TCM .... but 1 thing i deffo without a doubt i 100 agree on j remakes i detest them with a passion .....

Pigasus 4th February 2010 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye (Post 61451)
..suggest a list of 'must-see' remakes

The 1980s' version of The Blob is another favourite horror remake.

More recently, the House Of Wax update was good fun (read 2 reviews).

I think US remake The Ring is at least as good as Japanese Ringu.
I much prefer the remake of Dark Water to its rather weak Asian original.

Remake of The Manchurian Candidate was a very fine thriller, I think.

I will risk the Brit-flick lynch mob, and confess that I think the remake of The Italian Job is better than the greatly-overrated original.

Oh, and I must agree with vincenzo, about Cat People (with Nat Kinski!), and Nosferatu.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 4th February 2010 07:34 PM

Some great choices so far! :biggrin:

I've seen most of the ones suggested so far, and have to agree on the majority being more than worthy of a look.

I have to disagree on The Ring remake; just awful IMO, and it kick-started the obsession of remaking almost every half-decent original Asian horror film... :rolleyes: Dark Water was another terrible (and unecessary) remake IMO. Although, I do agree that the original Dark Water is nothing special, and tends to drag a bit in places. But, the benefit of the remake is that it stars the gorgeous Jennifer Connelly... :love:

I completely forgot about the remake of The Manchurian Candidate though Pigasus - I found it to be a very good film. :nod:

My faves are undoubtedly The Fly, The Thing, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (plus Ferrara's Body Snatchers is definitely worth a look too), and Nosferatu.

Anyone have any suggestions from the more recent wave of remakes? Any diamonds in the rough? Any gems worth digging out of that colossal barrel full of remake shit for? :biggrin:

Personally, I liked the Dawn of the Dead and the TCM remake. Also, I enjoyed Zombie's Halloween remake; I have yet to see the second installment though....

Rob Strange 4th February 2010 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pigasus (Post 61510)

I think US remake The Ring is at least as good as Japanese Ringu.
I much prefer the remake of Dark Water to its rather weak Asian original.

I found that the remakes essentially replaced the ice-cold atmosphere and spareness of Nakata's originals with a more obvious, polished horror style and an unnecessary emphasis on exposition.

I think The Ring's CG 'shocks' seem particularly crude and lacking compared to the minimalist chills of Ringu. I'm disappointed Nakata hasn't really done anything of note since.

nekromantik 4th February 2010 09:11 PM

RZ's Zombieween is as bad as The Uninvited, Quarantine, Ring, Grudge, Dark Water etc

I loathe it with a passion. :lol:

I loved Hills Have Eyes tho and am not scared to admit, that I found the original to be quite boring really. Aja's tension and atmosphere was top notch and it was not a typical teen remake with pretty boiis and sexy gals. It was harsh, gritty and dirty just how it should be.

Also Dawn of the Dead was amazing, loved every minute of it. Other good mentions are The Echo, which was a very atmospheric and creepy little supernatural story. I not seen original but people say its as good.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 4th February 2010 09:20 PM

Bizzaro,you're right mate the remakes mentioned above don't exactly put the originals to shame.

I was referring to modern remakes....

THE OMEN
THE FOG
THE AMITYVILLE HORROR
THE WICKER MAN
THE HILLS HAVE EYES
FRIDAY THE 13TH
HALLOWEEN
HALLOWEEN II
RING
THE GRUDGE
THE EYE
DARK WATER
THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE

None of which are a patch on the originals.Not even close.;)

Peter Neal 4th February 2010 09:44 PM

We'll, though I'd count myself to the "older generation" of fans, I actually found most of the recent remakes (more or less) entertaining, with the following being "my best of the bunch"- though I know that some are likely not to cut it for a lot of fans.:nod:

"The last House on the Left" (2009)
"My Bloody Valentine 3D" (2009)
"Halloween" (2007)
"Black Christmas" (2007)
"The Hills Have Eyes" (2006)
"House of Wax" (2005)
"2001 Maniacs" (2005)
"The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" (2003) (Though I prefer the prequel "TCM: The Beginning" (2005)
"The Toolbox Murders" (2003) (I just LOVE Angela Bettis!:blush::lol:)