Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Poll: I LIKE.......
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
I LIKE.......

Like Tree174Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th October 2012, 10:20 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranarchy View Post
Remakes are always hit and miss.... Normally I'm a horror purist and don't want remakes of my favorite films, but in recent years, I have been very surprised about a certain few.

Friday the 13th: Had a good Jason, boobs, blood and some cool sets.....

Hills Have Eyes: Had a lot of balls, lots of high tension, cool mutant family and some cool deaths

My Bloody Valentine 3D: Full frontal nudity, sweet deaths, including one homaging the uncut version of the original and Tom Atkins

Dawn of the Dead: High octane stuff, lots of action, lots of surprises, and I really loved how in the start of the movie how society totally crumbles in only a few days....

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: Had great atmosphere, the set for the farm was amazing, great actors for the family, a great Leatherface and so on...

Piranha 3D: I can't stop talkin' bout this! 3D full frontal nudity, lots of gore, lots of fun.....and "They took my penis"

But this is still just my opinion.....
Think I'm seeing a pattern here

Mr. Archy - would I be correct in assuming you don't have a girlfriend?

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 26th October 2012, 01:27 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

My issue with remakes is this: it's not that I hold films sacred, but unless they're going to radically alter the story, they're just showing me something I've already seen and know. That's why something like Hills Have Eyes works so well - they completely reinvented the story so you really couldn't anticipate what was coming next. They kept the core idea enough so that it WAS a remake, but altered it dramatically too. Then you get something like The Omen remake and you know exactly what's coming. They're just telling the same story all over again. Put it this way, Stephen King writes a book, you read it. Another person writes the same story again with minimal changes - would you read basically the same book again? I don't, I want something new.

Hollywood is basically cannibalising itself. It's run short on originality and they place their bets on what has sold previously rather than gamble on something new. But, as I always say - they want new ideas? Well listen up studio execs, there's these things called libraries full of original work....
Rik and Susan Foreman like this.
Old 26th October 2012, 12:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Films are so often made under such perilous circumstances and pitfalls, uncontrollable disasters, and compromises to make a return on the monies invested, that something that turns out as good as The Evil Dead or Videodrome is like capturing lightning in a bottle. It surely cannot be done a second time...
Old 28th October 2012, 04:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The problem I have with the film industry at the moment is they are acting like they have run out of ideas.
2 out of every 3 films are remakes sequels or just cashing in on a franchise

We have a list here to vote on the remakes but lets not forget for every one film we mention there is probably 5 we don't mention
Assault on precinct 13
Salems lot
Fright nite
Children of the corn defiantly 100% worst remake I've ever seen
Bangkok dangerous
Rollerball
Fame
Crazies
3:10 to Yuma
Fog
Straw dogs
Arthur
Italian job
Clash of the titans
Pink panther
When a stranger calls
Stepfather
Hitches
Total recall
War of the worlds
Ocean 11
Funny games

The list of remakes is endless its like the film industry wants to rewrite every film made and make them a remake

Don't get me wrong the odd remake is fine and acceptable and works brilliantly

Scarf ace
The thing
Invasion of the body snatchers
Fly

But there is to many and a constant flood of them like they have not got owt else better to do

We had just about every j horror remade and here a few in the pipeline

Birds
Black hole
Robocop
Brood apparently as we'll as videodrome that's been mentioned
Dune
Drop dead fred
Flash Gordon
Fletch
Flight of the navigator
Highlander
Honey I shrunk the kids
Porkies
Red dawn
Carrie
Child's pLay
West world
Pet cemetery
Point break
Barbarella
Death wish
Time bandits
Leather weapon
Wild bunch
Romancing the stone

That's just a few but could find at least another 70/80

Moral of the story is the remake scenario is getting beyond a joke and look like no film at all is safe hell I'm surprised they. haven't remade Star Wars and plans for lord rings remake isn't in the pipeline

certain films should just be left alone,
Old 28th October 2012, 04:58 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

The thing is the remakes that are good (The Fly, The Thing etc) are by directors who have an impressive body of work in their own right and are clearly interested in the original. These days you get Nightmare on Elm Street directed by the guy who did the Smells Like Teen Spirit video and Michael Antichrist Bay getting his hands on the rights to all of the classics. The current trend of 3D just makes things worse too. "Ok so the prequel to the remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre was awful. I know! Lets do another reboot/quasi-sequel but in 3D!"
Wes likes this.
Old 28th October 2012, 05:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Remakes in moderation are ok or if a film need a updated remake that fine but when films are just being remade for remake sake then that's not!
Old 28th October 2012, 05:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
The thing is the remakes that are good (The Fly, The Thing etc) are by directors who have an impressive body of work in their own right and are clearly interested in the original. These days you get Nightmare on Elm Street directed by the guy who did the Smells Like Teen Spirit video and Michael Antichrist Bay getting his hands on the rights to all of the classics. The current trend of 3D just makes things worse too. "Ok so the prequel to the remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre was awful. I know! Lets do another reboot/quasi-sequel but in 3D!"
Again films are just being used as čash in on sequels
Again list is endless
But the trend of sequels can also get irritating as we'll if a film is made and its connected to the other films and there a story connecting it then that's ok(ish)
But it when you just get films that churn out sequels or cash in for sake of then that get on my nerves
Old 29th October 2012, 10:30 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Scarf ace
Sorry, that made me

Brutal crime drama centered around the illegal scarf knitting trade, and the one man who can knit better then any of em . . .
Daemonia, gag, Rik and 1 others like this.
Old 29th October 2012, 11:03 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Sorry, that made me

Brutal crime drama centered around the illegal scarf knitting trade, and the one man who can knit better then any of em . . .
'You got the yeyo?'
'Yeah, now show me the ****ing scarf, man.'

Slippery Jack and PaulD like this.
Old 29th October 2012, 12:26 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

It's easier to remake a movie then it is to come up with an original idea. It's just laziness on behalf of everyone involved.

Like this? Share it using the links below!