Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: I LIKE.......
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
I LIKE.......

Like Tree174Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd March 2021, 06:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

https://www.deadline.com/2021/03/con...fm-1234704653/

Controversial Horror Film ‘Silent Night, Deadly Night’ Getting Reboot From ‘Jeepers Creepers: Reborn’ Outfit — EFM

Orwo Studios and Black Hanger Studios (Jeepers Creepers: Reborn) have acquired remake rights to controversial 1984 slasher film Silent Night, Deadly Night, which Orwo is beginning sales on at the virtual EFM.

The original film’s producers Scott Schneid and Dennis Whitehead of Wonderwheel Entertainment are also aboard with a planned delivery date in 2022.

Silent Night, Deadly Night tells the story of a child who is traumatized after seeing his parents killed by a man dressed as Santa Claus. Years later, he dons a Santa suit himself and gets bloody revenge. The movie spawned multiple sequels over the years and a loose remake in 2012.

It was the original that caused a stir, however.

The cult film was among the more controversial films of the ’80s due to its graphic violence and advertising campaign, particularly its posters and TV spots, that made significant emphasis on the killer being dressed as Santa. “You’ve made it through Halloween, now try and survive Christmas,” was the poster’s tagline.

Hong Sangsoo's Berlin Competition Pic 'Introduction' Lands At Cinema Guild
The National Parent & Teacher Association fought to have the film removed from theaters and there were protests against the ‘Christmas movie’. Critics Siskel and Ebert were among many to condemn the film and Siskel went as far as to read names of the production crew on air, telling them, “Shame on you.”

In response, TriStar pulled all ads for the film six days after its release and the film itself was withdrawn shortly after.

Despite — or perhaps thanks to — the drama, the film opened well, outgrossing Wes Craven’s A Nightmare On Elm Street, which opened on the same day. Before being pulled from theaters, the film took more than $2.4M (three times its budget) in 10 days.

The project was brought to Orwo by producer Anthony Masi of MasiMedia. Schneid, Whitehead, and Masi will produce along with Jake Seal, Terry Bird, and Jamie R. Thompson of Orwo Studios/Black Hangar. Orwo Studios is financing and representing world sales rights.

Wonderwheel said: “The continued desire for horror content and the ongoing success of the genre meant it was the perfect time to be able to offer up this chilling revival of the iconic title.”

Masi added: “We are thrilled to be working with the original producers as well as Orwo and Black Hangar and are committed to honoring nostalgia for the original while offering surprises for new audiences to discover and embrace.”

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 3rd March 2021 at 07:08 PM.
Old 7th April 2021, 05:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Naomi watts to be main star in remake of goodnight mommy .

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/...-mommy-remake/

Naomi Watts To Lead Goodnight Mommy Remake

Back in 2014, writer/directors Severin Fiala and Veronika Franz brought creepiness to screens with the thriller Goodnight Mommy. That has naturally attracted remake attention, and the new movie will now go ahead with Naomi Watts starring.
Matt Sobel is directing the new version from a script by Kyle Warren. Quite what sort of twist it might put on the original remains to be seen, but for the protection of those who haven't seen it, skip the next paragraph, in which the story is discussed.

The Austrian thriller, which starred the luminous Susanne Wuest, follows twin brothers who, when sent to stay with their mother, are surprised to find her swathed in bandages from a recent procedure. As her behaviour grows increasingly erratic and unusual, the twins become convinced she is an imposter. Their suspicion sets off a roller-coaster of emotional mind games and misunderstandings between mother and her children, that eventually explodes with irreparable and heartbreaking consequences...

My favorite films are those that invite the audience to step inside their protagonist’s journey. In our re-imagining of Goodnight Mommy, fear of abandonment — and the dreadful realization that those close to us may not be who they seem — create an immersive nightmare, with visceral sensations front and center. I can’t wait to create this heart-stopping story with Amazon and the peerless Naomi Watts," says Sobel in a statement picked up by Variety
Old 15th April 2021, 07:14 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Slumber party remake.

https://screenrant.com/slumber-party...e-details-syfy

Home TV News Slumber Party Massacre Remake Movie Will Release On SyFy

Shout! Studios' remake of the cult classic '80s slasher movie The Slumber Party Massacre finds a home on Syfy, and will premiere later in 2021.

The Slumber Party Massacre remake movie will release on SyFy later in the year. Produced by the legendary Roger Corman, the original 1982 Slumber Party Massacre rode the first wave of ‘80s slasher films to become a cult classic. The movie also established director Amy Holden Jones, who went on to become a successful writer and producer.

Given that it was made under the Corman umbrella, it should come as no surprise that Slumber Party Massacre is totally shameless in how it presents its exploitative subject matter. It’s also no surprise that the film turned a tidy profit, grossing $3.6 million on a budget of just $220,000. A pair of sequels followed in 1987’s Slumber Party Massacre II and 1990’s Slumber Party Massacre III. But of course, by the ‘90s the slasher genre had lost its steam, so that was the end of the Slumber Party Massacre trilogy.

But now amid a surge of nostalgia for all things ‘80s horror, Slumber Party Massacre is getting a new reboot. As reported by Deadline, the revival film from Shout! Studios has already wrapped filming and will premiere on Syfy later in 2021. Described as a “reimagining” of the pulpy original, the film was directed by Danishka Esterhazy (The Banana Splits Movie) and written by Suzanne Keilly (Ash Vs. Evil Dead). Hannah Gonera, Frances Sholto-Douglas, Mila Rayne, Alex McGregor and Reze-Tiana Wessels lead the movie’s cast.

The original Slumber Party Massacre indeed requires little plot summary as the title pretty much says it all. The movie stars Michele Michaels as Trish, a teenage basketball player who organizes a slumber party while her parents are out of town. Unfortunately, an escaped killer armed with a power drill also happens to be prowling around, leading to the mayhem indicated by the movie’s title. It’s no surprise that the film received bad reviews when it came out, as the critical establishment tended to bash everything in the slasher genre.

It remains to be seen what Shout! Studios’ reimagining of the controversial original Slumber Party Massacre entails. Director Esterhazy is certainly a good choice to helm the film, as she’s clearly a huge fan of slasher movies, having drawn on films like Chopping Mall and Child’s Play when making her bizarre and gory film version of the old children’s show The Banana Splits. The twisted imagination Esterhazy put on display with The Banana Splits Movie will surely serve her well in bringing The Slumber Party Massacre out of the 1980s and into the 2020s. The original movie of course was slammed for being misogynistic, despite being written and directed by women. Certainly the remake will have a perspective on the whole notion of slasher movie misogyny and many other problematic tropes popularized by the genre during its run of dominance

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 15th April 2021 at 02:18 PM.
Old 15th April 2021, 07:20 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Remake / reboot that’s why it’s here .

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/j...age-1234951549

TOXIC AVENGER’ REBOOT STARRING PETER DINKLAGE ADDS JACOB TREMBLAY TO CAST
the toxic avenger reboot cast

The Toxic Avenger reboot has added another cast member: Jacob Tremblay. The young Room and Doctor Sleep actor joins a cast being led by Peter Dinklage, with Macon Blair (Blue Ruin) set to helm. The Toxic Avenger is based on the low-budget cult classic from Troma Entertainment, about a weakling janitor who falls into a drum of toxic waste and transforms into a mutated superhero.

Deadline is reporting the news that The Toxic Avenger reboot cast will now include Jacob Tremblay. There’s no word on who Tremblay is playing just yet, but he joins Peter Dinklage, who is playing the title character. Macon Blair, who co-wrote and starred in Blue Ruin, is directing the pic, which is based on the 1984 cult classic of the same name.

This version of The Toxic Avenger will be a much more well-budgeted affair than any other film in the series, all of which have been ultra-low-budget Z-grade movies known for their cheapness. In the original film, “A 98-pound nerd from New Jersey lands in a vat of toxic waste and becomes a benevolent monster.” It’s not exactly what I’d call a good movie, but it’s earned its place in the cult canon. The original also spawned an entire franchise – the films The Toxic Avenger Part II, The Toxic Avenger Part III: The Last Temptation of Toxie, and Citizen Toxie: The Toxic Avenger IV, as well as the animated The Toxic Crusaders, which also inspired a video game, and an Off-Broadway musical.

In the new take on the story, “When a struggling everyman is pushed into a vat of toxic waste, he is transformed into a mutant freak who must go from shunned outcast to underdog hero as he races to save his son, his friends and his community from the forces of corruption and greed.” Lloyd Kaufman and Michael Herz, who co-directed the original movie, are producing the reboot.

“Macon Blair knows Troma better than I do,” Kaufman previously said. “He’s seen everything. He’s seen the cartoon, he’s seen the Halloween special, he’s seen everything. And he loves our movies like Troma’s War and Terror Firmer. I’ve read the script and it’s better than the original and I leave it to him. If I’m called upon, I’d be happy to jump in. I learned on the musical to leave the creative to the creative. I learned to let them ask so if they want me, I’m there.”

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 15th April 2021 at 02:19 PM.
Old 4th June 2021, 08:12 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Firestarter, but this time round it’s a adult starting Keith flint lol.
Seriously tho

https://www.ihorror.com/ryan-kiera-a...er-adaptation/

Ryan Kiera Armstrong is Charlie McGee in New ‘Firestarter’ Adaptation

Blumhouse has found their Firestarter with actress Ryan Kiera Armstrong who joins the previously announced Zac Efron (Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile) and Michael GreyEyes (True Detective).

The film is adapted from Stephen King’s novel of the same name, first published in September of 1980. It follows the story of Charlie McGee, a powerfully gifted young girl who can start s and control fires with her mind. Her parents took part in an experiment run by a mysterious shadow organization called The Shop, and they too have developed gifts, though neither are as strong as their daughter.

The book was previously adapted into a film with a young Drew Barrymore in the role of Charlie McGee with David Keith in the role of her father, Andy, and George C. Scott as John Rainbird, a hired assassin who manipulates his way into Charlie’s trust after she and her dad are captured.

At the age of 11, Armstrong has already appeared in numerous projects including It: Chapter Two, Anne with an E, and the upcoming Marvel film Black Widow as well as The Tomorrow War starring Chris Pratt.

Filming has already begun on this new adaptation of Firestarter produced by Blumhouse under the direction of Keith Thomas (The Vigil) with a script by Scott Teems (Halloween Kills).

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 9th June 2021 at 08:28 AM.
Old 9th June 2021, 08:33 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Firestarter, but this time round it’s a adult starting Keith flint lol.
Although it's been two years since Keith Flint died, that still comes in the 'too soon' category.
Old 24th June 2021, 09:34 PM
Cult Veteran

Most remakes could be classed as pointless, but why remake one which doesn't need remaking, Candyman. This trailer makes the film look so boring and reliant on jump scares, no amount of Philip Glass homage in the soundtrack is going to help...

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 25th June 2021, 01:35 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Maybe I'm wrong but I actually think Candyman 2021 isn't a remake. I was reading about it when first announced and it's supposed to be a sequel. The title definitely makes it sound like a remake, I'm not sure why they keep doing this (also thinking of Halloween 2018 and the new Scream). I'm keeping an open mind on a new Candyman film, personally I don't dislike the trailers. btw Supposedly Tony Todd is involved with this new film (voice?).
Old 15th July 2021, 05:15 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Most remakes could be classed as pointless, but why remake one which doesn't need remaking, Candyman. This trailer makes the film look so boring and reliant on jump scares, no amount of Philip Glass homage in the soundtrack is going to help...

The first trailer had me interested but the second trailer turned me off the idea.
Old 14th September 2021, 06:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Hellraiser Remake Is Shooting Now And Will Be 'Beautiful And Scary'
https://www.slashfilm.com/603072/hel...3jKj0ClT2VzUJ4

Like this? Share it using the links below!