Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: I LIKE.......
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
I LIKE.......

Like Tree174Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st February 2010, 07:07 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Neal View Post
God! I love A Bay Of Blood and would actually be delighted if anybody remade it for the 21.st century...with some neat variations! That ending is prizeless.
Sacrielage!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.

Last edited by vincenzo; 3rd February 2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 1st February 2010, 11:54 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper72 View Post
Sacrilege!
I agree. As the film is so good there's no need (or point) in remaking it whatsoever.

Long overdue for an uncut UK release though.

Last edited by vincenzo; 2nd February 2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 2nd February 2010, 06:29 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Well, it would be at least a try to remind the younger crowd of the rich European genre heritage
Old 2nd February 2010, 12:03 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Well, it would be at least a try to remind the younger crowd of the rich European genre heritage
The problem is though, that the younger generation will probably think it's a new fresh film and either dismiss it as run-of-the-mill fodder, unaware that it is based upon one of the first, and the best slasher films ever to be made or hype it up as an original and amazing piece of work... as is my experience with these things.

For instance the girl who cuts my hair was under the impression that Rob Zombie's H2 was a completely original film and was totally oblivious to the entire Halloween franchise... I almost wept.

To be fair, she's not a horror fan (so I didn't kill her this time ), but you just have to go over to a forum like Bloody Disgusting and look at what young horror fans are listing as their 'favourite horrors of all time' ... you certainly need a strong stomach The amount of times films like the Saws, Rob Zombie efforts and Hostel and its many spin-offs are listed... Many younger horro fans don't seem to have a clue about the genre defining classics; I just think that when they remake some of these classics they need to pay homage to the classic originals more, otherwise they get swept under the carpet and the new generation don't know that they are even there...
Old 2nd February 2010, 12:52 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye View Post
The problem is though, that the younger generation will probably think it's a new fresh film and either dismiss it as run-of-the-mill fodder, unaware that it is based upon one of the first, and the best slasher films ever to be made or hype it up as an original and amazing piece of work... as is my experience with these things.

For instance the girl who cuts my hair was under the impression that Rob Zombie's H2 was a completely original film and was totally oblivious to the entire Halloween franchise... I almost wept.

To be fair, she's not a horror fan (so I didn't kill her this time ), but you just have to go over to a forum like Bloody Disgusting and look at what young horror fans are listing as their 'favourite horrors of all time' ... you certainly need a strong stomach The amount of times films like the Saws, Rob Zombie efforts and Hostel and its many spin-offs are listed... Many younger horro fans don't seem to have a clue about the genre defining classics; I just think that when they remake some of these classics they need to pay homage to the classic originals more, otherwise they get swept under the carpet and the new generation don't know that they are even there...
When the remake of Hills Have Eyes came out the editor of Cinema Sewer magazine did a straw poll of viewers at a multiplex in New York and something like 85% of those going to see it didn't know it was a remake . Of those who did know it was, the majority had never seen it and had no intention of seeing it.
Old 2nd February 2010, 03:08 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex s View Post
Of those who did know it was, the majority had never seen it and had no intention of seeing it.
That was their loss. The original knocks spots off the remake as most of the old ones do.
Old 2nd February 2010, 04:26 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I happen to be in that lucky position that I usually enjoy both, modern genre flicks and the classics which inspired them, so I'd be curious to see how a European update of a cult fave for today's mainstream audience would look like.

Last edited by Peter Neal; 2nd February 2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 2nd February 2010, 07:51 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
I happen to be in that lucky position that I usually enjoy both, modern genre flicks and the classics which inspired them, so I'd be curious to see how a European update of a cult fave for today's mainstream audience would look like.
I wish I had your optimism and excitement when it comes to remakes PN. Personally, every time the word 'remake' is mentioned (especially true in more recent years) I get a sinking feeling in my stomach...

That said, there are many remakes that I have enjoyed. It's the general ignorance of, and the 'glossing over' of the originals that makes me mad.
Old 2nd February 2010, 07:54 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex s View Post
When the remake of Hills Have Eyes came out the editor of Cinema Sewer magazine did a straw poll of viewers at a multiplex in New York and something like 85% of those going to see it didn't know it was a remake . Of those who did know it was, the majority had never seen it and had no intention of seeing it.
As Vince said, it's their loss. Still, it's stuff like this that may eventually push the classics into obscurity... especially if digital media takes over from DVD and Blu-Ray
Old 3rd February 2010, 11:53 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye View Post
As Vince said, it's their loss. Still, it's stuff like this that may eventually push the classics into obscurity... especially if digital media takes over from DVD and Blu-Ray
Somehow I kind of doubt that, as there'll always be genre fans around who'll want to look beyond the mainstream surface- and those said classics weren't really any less obscure in the last century's "post nasties" era- the average punter cared as little about our cult faves in the late 80's/90's as they do now.

Like this? Share it using the links below!