Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   Avoiding customs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/1133-avoiding-customs.html)

Daemonia 19th March 2012 10:13 AM

And don't forget that under current Customs regulations it's up to you to ensure that the sender quotes the correct value on the package. If they fail to do so, it's us, the buyer, that lands in hot water, not them.

Stephen@Cult Labs 19th March 2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 224918)
And don't forget that under current Customs regulations it's up to you to ensure that the sender quotes the correct value on the package. If they fail to do so, it's us, the buyer, that lands in hot water, not them.

Only if they find out the correct value! Don't think I've ever had a package that's had the correct value on it.

Daemonia 19th March 2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 224933)
Don't think I've ever had a package that's had the correct value on it.

Nor me. :lol:

Baseball Fury 19th March 2012 12:47 PM

Well never order one from Amazon then. Just got done for VAT (no issue) and an £8 handling fee. Obscene amount to charge.

sjconstable 19th March 2012 01:30 PM

For Criterion Blu-rays I usually use 'MovieMars New Releases' on eBay as they reship it from Surrey, thus avoiding customs charges. Otherwise I sometimes ask sellers if they'll mark it as a Gift for me. (I think a previous poster might be confusing that with Amazon's gift-wrapping service? Two different things).

Delirium 26th March 2012 08:24 PM

Anyone have any experience of Amazon Japan? I want to order something rather expensive off there, so am I right in thinking I'd be charged 20% VAT plus a handling fee?

The item's expensive enough! Wish I had a friend in Japan.

Baseball Fury 27th March 2012 07:47 AM

I've bought records from there with no problems, but that was before they lowered the threshold

doolahrock 27th March 2012 07:58 AM

The worst hit I ever had was when I bought two t shirts from the states. T shirts cost around £25-30 and was kindly asked for £18 upon delivery.

Xploited cinema were good for marking the package with a favourable value or 'gift'. Customs used to love opening parcels from them though. However, they just seemed to be checking for dodgy material as I never got hit with a charge even though there was always about 4-6 DVDs in there. I believe packages from Xploited were a favourite target for customs and there were plenty of stories about discs being seized, especially in Australia if I remember correctly. Luckily they didn't open the one order I got with questionable content.

mark meakin 27th March 2012 09:56 AM

I've ordered the M.R James set for £49.00 from AmazonUK (New Zealand seller).I'm dreading how much will be added if it falls foul of customs:pray:.Last time it happened on Amazon was with my Dolemite boxset:mmph:.Having said that the M.R James set was going for about £100.00 bidding on Ebay.

Baseball Fury 27th March 2012 12:27 PM

£17.80 would be my bet!

£9.80 VAT at 20% plus the lovely £8 handling fee from Royal Mail.