• 1 Post By Demoncrat
  • 1 Post By Susan Foreman
  • 1 Post By Daemonia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st October 2013, 12:11 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Default Real Hauntings and Folk Tales

Listening to the local radio station this morning they had an old lady as a guest telling old tales of hauntings and folk tales of the local area so got me thinking about the amout of other stories both fact and fiction in the local area. Taught it would be a good idea fir a thread or maybe not .

Ill wait until i get home from work to get started so i can post pics and link etc. I would love to hear stories fron other members about their local areas.

There seems to be hundreds of places just in my own small cirner of the country so i will branch out to the rest of the country in time. Any feedback is welcome even if its just telling me this thread is stupid
Old 31st October 2013, 05:49 PM
Cult Master

Loftus Hall

4878935_f496.jpg 11977.jpg IMG_7020 copy.jpg Loftus1006-filtered.jpg Loftus1008-filtered.jpg Loftus1036-filtered.jpg Loftus1037-filtered.jpg NWS_20130528_New_042_27690818_I2.JPG

Charles Tottenham and his family came to mind the mansion in 1766 while the Loftus family were away on business. Charles Tottenham, his wife and daughter, Anne, were all taking care of the mansion.
Charles came for a long stay in the house with his second wife, and his daughter Anne from his first marriage. During a storm, a ship unexpectedly arrived at the Hook Peninsula, which was not far from the mansion. A young man was welcomed into the mansion. Anne and the young man became very close. One night, the family and mysterious man were in the Card room playing cards. In the game, each player received 5 cards apart from Anne who was only dealt 4 by the mystery man. A butler serving the Tottenham family at the table was just about to question the man when Anne bent down to pick another card from the floor which she must have dropped. It is said that when Anne bent over to pick up the card, she looked beneath the table to see that the mysterious man had a cloven foot.
It was then that Anne stood up and said to the man you have a cloven foot and the man went up through the roof, leaving behind a large hole in the ceiling.Soon Anne became mentally ill. It is believed that the family were ashamed of Anne and locked her away in her favourite room where she would be happy yet out of everyone's view which was known as the Tapestry Room. She refused food and drink and sat with her knees under her chin looking out the Tapestry Room window across the sea to where Dunmore East is today waiting for her mysterious stranger to return until she died in the Tapestry Room in 1775. It is said that when she died, they could not straighten her body as her muscles had seized and she was buried in the same sitting position in which she had died.
A rumour states that the hole could never be properly repaired, and it is alleged that even to this day, there is still a certain part of the ceiling which is slightly different from the rest. This, of course, is a myth, since the present house was built more than a century after the events described above. Meanwhile it was believed that the stranger with the cloven hoof returned to the house and caused persistent poltergeist activity. A number of Protestant clergymen apparently tried and failed to put a stop to this. The family, who were themselves Protestants, eventually called on Father Thomas Broaders (a Catholic priest, who was also a tenant on the Loftus Hall estate) to exorcise the house.
The apparent success of Father Broaders' exorcism did not end the ghostly visitations at Loftus Hall. The ghost of a young woman, presumed to be Anne Tottenham, was reported to have made frequent appearances in the old Hall, especially in the Tapestry Room, until the building was finally demolished in 1871.
Although the present Loftus Hall is an entirely new building, interest in the ghost story has remained strong and many aspects of the story seem to have attached themselves to the newer house. Also mentioned in a documentary about the mansion many years later after the last owners had gone had said that there were reports from staff that had previously worked at the mansion, that they have seen Anne's ghost walk down the stairs, and that horses can be heard around the building.

I have been to Loftus Hall many times and even just driving to it or past it makes the hairs stand up on the back on my neck. The location of the building on a cliff over looking the sea adds makes it even more chilling and its just silence when you are walking around the grounds even birds seem to fly around it rather than over it. Its unusual for a place in such a wide open space to be so silent when at the very least you would normally hear birds along a coast line.
Old 31st October 2013, 05:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Eeeeek! You lucky bugger, the only screams at night I hear on a regular basis are the ones from the old folks home next door.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 4th December 2013, 04:58 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Default Real Life Hauntings & Curses

Hi all,

As Insidious: Chapter 2 (on DVD/Blu-ray Monday 6th Jan 2014) has taught us, it's not just old houses built on Indian burial grounds that evil spirits and demons can latch on to.

Take a look at some of the creepiest 8 haunted objects over at this Buzzfeed article - 8 Creepiest Things That Are Haunted By PURE EVIL (Apparently)

What are some of the creepiest objects/places that you know off? What are some of the scariest real-life hauntings and curses you know?

Share below and let us know!
Old 4th December 2013, 05:19 PM
Cult Master

I was a child when this was featured on the television news programme 'Nationwide' in 1976

It scared the hell out of me, and I still remember the report today

The Hexham Heads | Mysterious Britain & Ireland

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 4th December 2013, 06:47 PM
Cult Master

Aw yeah when i tried this at Halloween no one was interested

Old 4th December 2013, 07:11 PM
Cult Master

I was only joking seriously
Old 4th December 2013, 08:27 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicdusk View Post
I was only joking seriously
My mistake buddy - that's much better now Hopefully we can bump this and get some more spooky ghost talk going. Come on ghost hunters - I know you're on here!
Old 4th December 2013, 10:13 PM
Cult Master

Feel like a big cry baby now
Old 5th December 2013, 01:27 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I was once haunted by a German Shepherd. Kept wanting to ghost shag my leg...

Like this? Share it using the links below!