Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   Strangest Movie Dreams & Nightmares (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/11737-strangest-movie-dreams-nightmares.html)

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 28th January 2014 04:49 PM

Strangest Movie Dreams & Nightmares

Hi all,

Cinema loves to go crazy when it comes to dreams and nightmares and there's no better genre at it than Horror! The Horror genre is littered with creepy nightmares that have some pretty weird and shocking imagery in. I mean, there was a whole horror franchise dedicated to nightmares!

With Nothing Left To Fear coming out soon - a film with a number of very creepy nightmares in - what are some of the strangest/freakiest dreams you've seen in the movie world?

From horror or elsewhere, let us know below...

Nothing Left to Fear UK Trailer - YouTube

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th January 2014 05:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The dream sequence in An American Werewolf in London always used to get me.

I think it was the fact he woke up whilst still dreaming and the nightmare continued with the Nazi zombies breaking through.

Linbro 28th January 2014 07:47 PM

The first 2/3's of 'Mulholland Drive'.

Susan Foreman 28th January 2014 08:01 PM

Presumably Freddie Kruger will get a mention soon!

Many years ago, I was saw a TV spot for the DVD release of the original version of 'Last House On The Left'. It was the scene where Weasel dreams that Mari's parents knock his teeth out using a hammer and chisel

That sequence left a huge impression on my mind!

Daemonia 29th January 2014 02:30 AM

The one that really stood out to me in my younger days was the Hammer House of Horror episode called Rude Awakening, with Denholm Elliot. In it, he's seemingly trapped in an endless dream, one in which he keeps waking up only to find he's still asleep...and wakes up again. This happens right up until the shock ending. As you can tell, that episode fairly stayed with me for a long time after viewing (well, I was young and impressionable at the time).

I'd also have to mention the dream sequences in the Corman/Price Poe movies. Always lovely and psychedelic (although they probably seemed horrible and nightmarish back in the day).

Talking of psychedelic, which we weren't really, it still amuses me that the Dr Who writers described the first transformation to be like a bad LSD trip. What were the Dr Who creators ingesting back then to even know what a bad LSD trip was like? :eek:

Demoncrat 29th January 2014 12:33 PM

Carnival of Souls.

A bit of a cheat, but HPL's Through The Gates Of The Silver Key is pretty wild (and unfilmable sadly.....)

Vampix 29th January 2014 12:35 PM

The dream sequence featuring Amy Irving at the end of De Palma's Carrie still makes me jump, even though I know what's coming. :D

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 29th January 2014 01:31 PM

Loads of great choices here!

Is it House 3 which starts with a guy waking up from a couple of dreams. If I remember rightly, he's finding gruesome body parts cooking away in a kitchen, then wakes up and find his wife decapitated...or something like that!

Jeez, I haven't seen that movie in AGES! Anyone remember what I'm on about, or have I just made that up?!