Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd August 2014, 01:07 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Your Favourite Gialli.

From Wiki - Giallo, (plural gialli) is an Italian 20th-century genre of literature and film, which in Italian indicates crime fiction and mystery. In English, it refers to a genre similar to the French fantastique genre and includes elements of horror fiction and eroticism. The word "giallo" is Italian for "yellow" and comes from a series of cheap paperback mystery novels with trademark yellow covers.

Once upon a time Cult Labs was awash with Giallo chat and discussion. This being one of the reasons i began lurking here then eventually became a member.

For years i'd been fascinated by this genre of film as it was, and still is so different to anything else out there. The Giallo's classic trademarks include black gloved killers committing bloody murders, mystery, seduction and beautiful girls. all of it captured in a who dunnit style web of intrigue dating back to the aforementioned novels and even earlier Grand Guignol theatre.

To try and create a little more discussion on this classic genre that preceded and influenced the Hollywood slasher films it would be nice to start this chat again. We have loads of new members here and many of the ones who took part in the original discussions have left or are no longer active , so yes, to some it's treading over old ground a little but lets hype the genre again.

Which are your favourite Giallo films?

Please type a few words about your faves and tell us why. Tell us about your faves and some lesser known ones which you may recommend.

Don't just list films.... any posts which are lists will be deleted.
Old 3rd August 2014, 01:11 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I'm sure others will mention more popular films and directors, so here's a few i love that aren't just as well known.

French Sex Murders (1972)

Not one of the best examples of the genre but a film i really enjoy. It stands out for being set in Paris rather than Italy and it's main hero is Robert Sacchi who was a professional Humphrey Bogart lookalike and adds some Chandler style noir to the genre. The film boasts some lively set pieces, some nasty eyeball murders courtesy of Oscar winner Carlo Rambaldi, all topped off with a fine bevy of Euro babes in Rosalba Neri, Evelyn Kraft, Barbara Bouchet and even Anita Ekberg.

The beautiful looking dvd is available on Region 1 via Mondo Macabro.

Seven Deaths in the Cat's Eye (1973)

Antonio Margheriti's film is a classic blend of Giallo and Gothic horror. Again it boasts a very good cast including Jane Birkin, Anton Diffring and Serge Gainsbourg. Highly atmospheric and the cat actually has something to do with the story. Margheriti really has an eye for Gothic design, creating gorgeous sets complete with cobwebbed rooms, gargoyles and rain swept nights. Highly recommended to fans of Gialli and Gothic horror alike.

Available via Region 1 dvd from Blue Underground.

Delirium (1972)

Absurdly sleazy and violent, Renato Polselli's film is a nightmarish vision of madness. Full of orgies and depravity the film stars Mickey Hargitay and the lovely Rita Calderoni and is unlike any other Giallo i can think of. One of the more extreme examples of the genre.

Again available via Region 1 dvd from Blue Underground.

Strip Nude for Your Killer (1975)

Edwige Fenech stars in Andrea Bianchi's extremely sleazy thriller. Packed with violence, and naked flesh, featuring the classic black gloved killer, Strip Nude For Your Killer isn't the best of the genre but it is a lot of exploitative fun and highly recommended.

Available from Shameless Films and Blue Underground.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51YPXDC3HXL.jpg (50.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 5134CHD2V4L.jpg (57.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 51jm+OzIHZL.jpg (50.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 51jR7-T26BL.jpg (56.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 3rd August 2014, 01:30 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

A great idea for a thread, plus some interesting choices too, Dem.

I'm also a massive fan of Polselli's sleazy gem Delirium and the giallo-gothic hybrid Seven Deaths in the Cat's Eye. Whilst I do also enjoy the other two you listed, I wouldn't consider them favourites.

I'll have a think and come back with some of my own choices.
Old 3rd August 2014, 01:54 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I'll start with a more well-known entry but firm favourite...

A Lizard in a Woman's Skin (Una lucertola con la pelle di donna) (1971) - Lucio Fulci

A somewhat difficult statement to make when considering how close this particular genre of cinema is to my heart and sensibilities, but not only is Lucio Fulci's stylish, trippy giallo possibly my favourite (well, at least of what I've seen so far) within this fine genre of cinema, but also his overall best work. Florinda Bolkan is fantastic as Carol who experiences a series of vivid psychedelic nightmares consisting of depraved sex orgies and LSD use. In her dreams, she commits a graphic murder only to awaken to the real thing, which in turn plunges herself into the middle of a criminal investigation. Whilst 'Lizard' may not be your conventional giallo it carries a unique flair and atmosphere that melds the surrealistic with the gory and uncompromising set pieces which Fulci utilised to such great effect in his later horror efforts.

Available on DVD in the UK from Optimum/Studio Canal which boasts a superb transfer and really promotes the great Morricone soundtrack.
Mojo, Pete, Nemesis and 3 others like this.
Old 3rd August 2014, 02:05 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Moving on, and upping the sleaze and the sense of the bizarre we have...

In the Folds of the Flesh (Nelle pieghe della carne) (1970)

This is a very bizarre early '70s giallo directed by Sergio Bergonzelli and starring Eleonora Rossi Drago, Pier Angeli, and Fernando Sancho.

Speaking as someone who has seen their fair share of gialli over the years, I have yet to come across one as bizarre as this. Mixing a dysfunctional family; including an unhinged daughter who often goes into murderous trance-like states, with pet vultures, Nazis and nymphomania this is not only sleazy and strange, but also unconventionally enjoyable. Whilst I do like my standard more formulaic gialli, it's a rare treat to come across one such as this that defies the atypical genre boundaries somewhat.

Even if you're a casual fan of the genre, I'd recommend tracking this one down; The US Severin DVD is a very decent release.
Old 3rd August 2014, 02:45 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

My favourite of them all is The Strange Vice of Mrs Wardh.

The only giallo whose story aswell as visuals held my interest totally throughout. Plus it stars Edwige Fenech. Need I say more.

Runners up; Don't Torture a Duckling and One On Top of Another aka Perversion Story; two films that show Fulci had a talent for a story and visuals aswell as gore. The opening to DTAD is in particular outstanding. Both not quite as good as Vice but still both very good.

Would love to see a Blu of all three.

The trailer for Lizard In A Woman's Skin has really interested me though, i know which is my next Lovefilm rental now.
Old 3rd August 2014, 02:46 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

An under-rated entry into the genre...

Seven Blood-Stained Orchids (Sette orchidee macchiate di rosso) (1972) - Umberto Lenzi

Like Fulci, Lenzi also directed some seminal gialli before the Italo-cannibal and zombie cycles started to dominate the directors' work throughout the '80s. 'Orchids' benefits from the influence of Edgar Wallace, who provided the bones of the story to which this giallo was moulded around. Add to this tight and tense plot some of the usual trappings including bloody kills and buxom maidens and you have the makings of a great little giallo Whilst Lenzi will unlikely be remembered for this particular film, it is certainly one of his best, in my opinion, and a fine giallo where the genre is concerned.

Out of print (?) but still available for fairly reasonable prices, the US Shriek Show DVD is the best way to go for this one. However, this is definitely a film that could do with a re-release due to its availability.
Old 3rd August 2014, 03:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Some great choices Bizarre_Eye. Really nicely presented too.

Three films i own, bizarrely i've only watched Lizard the one time.

I think i'll have a week of giallo films this week.
Old 3rd August 2014, 07:14 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
An under-rated entry into the genre...

Seven Blood-Stained Orchids (Sette orchidee macchiate di rosso) (1972) - Umberto Lenzi

Like Fulci, Lenzi also directed some seminal gialli before the Italo-cannibal and zombie cycles started to dominate the directors' work throughout the '80s. 'Orchids' benefits from the influence of Edgar Wallace, who provided the bones of the story to which this giallo was moulded around. Add to this tight and tense plot some of the usual trappings including bloody kills and buxom maidens and you have the makings of a great little giallo Whilst Lenzi will unlikely be remembered for this particular film, it is certainly one of his best, in my opinion, and a fine giallo where the genre is concerned.

Out of print (?) but still available for fairly reasonable prices, the US Shriek Show DVD is the best way to go for this one. However, this is definitely a film that could do with a re-release due to its availability.

Great choice, Bizarre Eye - you can actually get this as part of the German Edgar Wallace Vol 8 krimi box, but it's English dub only.

I have to give a shout out to So Sweet, So dead - just watched it last night. It's not a premier division giallo - I found it very predictable, perhaps unforgivably so but I also enjoyed the hell out of it and Camera Obscura deserves props for releasing it as well as doing a sterling job on it.
Old 3rd August 2014, 08:04 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Great choice, Bizarre Eye - you can actually get this as part of the German Edgar Wallace Vol 8 krimi box, but it's English dub only.

I have to give a shout out to So Sweet, So dead - just watched it last night. It's not a premier division giallo - I found it very predictable, perhaps unforgivably so but I also enjoyed the hell out of it and Camera Obscura deserves props for releasing it as well as doing a sterling job on it.
Despite its predictability, I also really enjoy So Sweet, So Dead and echo your opinion in respect to the Camera Obscura release.
Nemesis likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!