Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree1024Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th August 2014, 11:09 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

94 for me, and that's only because I'm unsure about at least 20 cough. Track Of The Moonbeast's inclusion made me smile, as mates went on and on about this rather tepid little film. If you'd seen their faces when I produced a VHS acquired from one of my many trawls haha.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 13th August 2014, 08:03 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Blood Cult (1985)

On the surface Blood Cult appears to be a low budget shot on video slasher film, which riffs off the many 'sorority house' style slashers which preceded it. However, this aspect is blended together with a HGL Blood Feast referencing ritual cult element to the killings, whereby body parts are being removed and taken by the killer who leaves medallion 'corpse marker' calling cards on the victims.

Charles Ellis plays the oldest town sheriff in the world who is charged to find and stop the killer before they strike again (or before he himself keels over from a heart attack - whichever comes first). Therefore occult books are referenced at the local library, discussions are had with his daughter and her odd lover, and much Arby's is consumed (even whilst on stakeout). All the while the killer is still at large hacking up victims and leaving severed fingers in salad bowls all across town.

Despite its low budget and the snail's-pace the film often creeps by at, there are some fun and almost arty scenes of occult goings on including lots of OTT eye-makeup, fire, and robes as well as some nicely shot and edited kills throughout, especially considering the budget that was at play here.

Perhaps Blood Cult would have fared better under a bigger budget and a trim of some of its more unnecessary 'filler' scenes, however budget and padding aside, the overall cheesiness that this films expels from almost every pore is part of its underlying charm an makes for an overall bewilderingly enjoyable experience.
Old 14th August 2014, 07:51 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I'm desperate to read this book!
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 15th August 2014, 11:54 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 View Post
I'm desperate to read this book!
It is not just a book, it is also a physical work out...it's huge, awkward to hold and weighs a ton.
Old 16th August 2014, 06:32 AM
Cult Acolyte

Default mansize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
It is not just a book, it is also a physical work out...it's huge, awkward to hold and weighs a ton.
You keep my penis out of this.

Old 17th August 2014, 03:51 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Blood Freak (1972)

Blood Freak is one of those films that could only be made during the '70s.

Steve Hawkes stars as Herschell, a Vietnam veteran turned biker on his own righteous path to God, who one day pulls over to help a girl with a flat tyre. He takes her back home which in turn happens to be hosting a drug party at the time, and is introduced to the girl's sister, Ann, who is a free spirit and the opposite of her straight-laced religious sister Angel. After declining to use any of their drugs and alienating a few of the party-dwellers, Herschell is led away to meet Angel and Ann's father who happens to own a turkey farm and in turn offers Herschell a job.

Admittedly, this all sounds pretty straight-forward so far, but it is when we reach the turkey farm that things begin to turn towards the bizarre and the absurd. The farm has an experimental lab on site run by the girls' father, who along with a team of dim-witted scientists are experimenting with genetically altering turkeys through various experimental drugs. Meanwhile, Herschell is pressured into smoking some dope by Ann, has sex with her, and then later having worked up an appetite, tucks into a turkey dinner laid on by the dope addicted mad scientists, itself laced with a super-addictive experimental drug. This causes some changes in Herschell, who grows a massive turkey head and decides to go on a killing spree stringing up drug users and dealers alike and draining their blood - each kill preceded by maniacal gobbling.

Obviously, all this wasn't bizarre enough for the film-makers, as in addition to all this there is inter-cut narration throughout from a sleazy seated elderly man preaching pseudo-religious/philosophical statements to the audience, which literally stops the film dead in its tracks.

Terms like 'low budget', 'amateur', and 'shoddy' are thrown about quite freely when talking about films of this type, and although Blood Freak adheres to these tropes in spades, they actually act to enhance the weird, trippy, and flat out bonkers vibe that the film emanates to the point where you feel as if you have passed the boundaries of cinematic trash, and are in fact experiencing a whole new plain of reality where little makes sense - and nor does it have to.

Blood Freak is certainly an oddity (even by 1970s independent cinema standards), and has to be seen to be believed.
Old 17th August 2014, 05:57 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Blood Mania (1970)

Light on the blood, heavy on the mania, Blood Mania tells the story of nymphomaniac Victoria who hatches a plan to kill her bed-ridden father to gain her inheritance in order to help his adulterous doctor pay a debt he owes to a blackmailer. However, not all goes to plan.

Dirty double-dealings, sexual shenanigans and psychosis help to enhance an otherwise tired and bland storyline full of melodrama and tepid performances. The final scenes are quite fun where the mania reaches its peak and we actually finally get to see some blood as the title promised.
Old 17th August 2014, 06:04 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

My total goes up to 88 seen.

I must have missed Blood Mania out. I have it on two Mill Creek sets.
Old 17th August 2014, 06:07 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
My total goes up to 88 seen.

I must have missed Blood Mania out. I have it on two Mill Creek sets.
Aha, but what do you think of it?
Old 17th August 2014, 06:11 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Incidentally, it would be interesting to know whether there are people watch-listing / black-listing any of these films due to my mini reviews...

I would hate to turn someone away from watching something that they may enjoy, and although some have been far from amazing so far, I would like to point out that I've enjoyed them all to some extent (certain levels of awfulness can be enjoyable too) so far.

Like this? Share it using the links below!