Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1024Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th August 2014, 09:58 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I was going to watch part two of Salem's Lot tonight but now i want to watch some low budget tat that'll bore the pants of me.
Old 6th August 2014, 09:58 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
This film may be right up your alley then!

Saying that, a wander through the woods or down a corridor would have been a blessing in disguise compared to 5 dullards stuck in an office for 90 minutes. What made it even more perplexing was the fact that everything seemed so rushed at the end. The 'climax' (such as it is) could have at least been handled a little better and the overall running time trimmed to create a tighter more taut film. Like you say though, the end result is sometimes not the intention.

I'm intrigued and want to know more about this occult model now too!
The idea was to use weird and wonky films to achieve an altered state of conciousness (as some of this type of bilge has that affect on me) rather than more normal means such as meditation or sex, then to use that state to perform various types of magic. I came unstuck when I discovered that most of the magic contained in the films isn't there on a second viewing leaving you more often than not with a rubbish film instead of the mind altering experience the first viewing gave you.
Old 6th August 2014, 10:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I was going to watch part two of Salem's Lot tonight but now i want to watch some low budget tat that'll bore the pants of me.
Me too, I've just dug out my DVD of Drive-In Massacre that I've had for ages and never watched, charity shop find a few months back
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 6th August 2014, 10:02 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
The idea was to use weird and wonky films to achieve an altered state of conciousness (as some of this type of bilge has that affect on me) rather than more normal means such as meditation or sex, then to use that state to perform various types of magic. I came unstuck when I discovered that most of the magic contained in the films isn't there on a second viewing leaving you more often than not with a rubbish film instead of the mind altering experience the first viewing gave you.
How the hell do you reply to this?
Make Them Die Slowly and Rik like this.
Old 6th August 2014, 10:28 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
How the hell do you reply to this?
Okay here goes...

Basically to cast magical spells etc, the theory is that it cannot be done with the concious mind so you have to subdue/trick the concious mind in to going away for a bit by using various techniques be it; meditation, sex, drugs, dance fasting, pain etc and allowing the sub concious mind to do the work whilst the more rational part of the brain is distracted.

This link explains it in more detail.Austin Osman Spare - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 7th August 2014, 08:08 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Okay here goes...

Basically to cast magical spells etc, the theory is that it cannot be done with the concious mind so you have to subdue/trick the concious mind in to going away for a bit by using various techniques be it; meditation, sex, drugs, dance fasting, pain etc and allowing the sub concious mind to do the work whilst the more rational part of the brain is distracted.

This link explains it in more detail.Austin Osman Spare - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This reminds me of the theory that we make our own reality with our subconscious mind, the idea that we all have God within ourselves and if we tap into it we create our own reality.
The reason we live in such a shithole though, is because the esoteric side of us is severely re-pressed by religion, TV, movies, vaccines, fluoride in our water and man's inherent tendency for violence - among other things.
This is why we are forced into being debt slaves for most of our life, to keep us distracted from humankinds full potential.

My only gripe with the theory is why don't we find communities cut off from the outside world living in harmony and bliss....??
Old 7th August 2014, 11:59 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I can't wait to get my book (sometime this month!) and work through what I haven't seen. Can't believe we're in August already, how time flies.
Old 7th August 2014, 05:26 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
From the Film Stills thread, I'm guessing this never happened!
Old 7th August 2014, 05:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
From the Film Stills thread, I'm guessing this never happened!
Correct call sir.
Old 7th August 2014, 09:17 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Default Two for two on the boring scoreboard...

The Alchemist (1983)

Despite the pretty straightforward premise of a man (Robert Ginty) seeking revenge on an evil magician who cursed him, the film itself is pretty nonsensical (which isn't necessarily a bad thing), and this is exasperated by the hammy (sometimes even mechanical) acting and ropey dialogue present throughout. All of this could be (and has been many times before) easily forgiven with films such as these, however, what cannot be forgiven is how ultimately dull the film is.

At its core there is a simplistic morality tale of how a person can end up destroying themselves through seeking what they deem to be 'justice', however this is convoluted by the patch-work way in which the film appears to have been cobbled together with seemingly endless scenes where the running time is chewed up by nothing of any importance or interest happening... I could physically feel my energy levels ebbing away as the tawdry tedium swept over me in waves. Admittedly I'm not a big Band fan (from what little I've seen of his work), yet I'm guessing that even he wasn't too fond of this one considering he removed his name from the credits and decided to use a pseudonym.

There are however a few flashes of creativity throughout; notably the always fascinating stop-motion model effects, but these are not enough to lift this one up beyond the insipid mess that it is.

Based on discussions last night and by my reckoning, this could be another film for MTDS' occult model.

Last edited by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs; 7th August 2014 at 09:29 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!