Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree1024Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th August 2014, 05:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

When the list was first published on Facebook, via Fab Press, a guy commented saying he'd seen all the films on it! Whether this is true is debatable, but if it is then he's probably got a high tolerance for crappy Grindhouse trash!
Just reading the plots of some of them is enough IMO!
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 6th August 2014, 05:27 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Schoolgirls in Chains (1973)

This fairly enjoyable and sleazy little exploitationer is centered around two brothers who kidnap young girls and keep them locked up in their basement under the control and influence of their domineering mother. One brother is a simpleton who sees the girls as nothing but playmates and subjects them to various torturous games - playing doctor will never be the same again - whilst the other brother is more aloof and absorbed with his 'mommy issues'.

Whilst an exploitationer at heart, the film is often quite dark and brooding with lingering close-ups on the girls' facial expressions as they undergo and witness the various torturous shenanigans the brothers deploy onto them and that of their fellow captees. The low budget adds to the gritty mood and despite the twist element at the end, which becomes increasingly more obvious as the film progresses, this was an interesting and original enough experience to engage me throughout...

...let's hope the same can be said about the bulk of the other films I've still to see on this list.
Old 6th August 2014, 05:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Sold! What version do you recommend B_E?
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 6th August 2014, 05:42 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default lazy repost time

The Worm Eaters (1977).
Quote:
Herman Umgar, a German hermit, has an ability to communicate with worms. One day the mayor of the town runs him off his property, so in revenge he plants worms in everybody's food.However, these worms are a special breed of mutant worms from the Red Tide, and when the people eat them they are transformed into giant worms themselves. These worm-people also become Herman's slaves.
Try a little experiment,stick your fingers down your throat,get that gag reflex goin,this will help in understanding the feelin im trying to convey.
Not much can offend or shock me,very little Ive seen over the years has really made me feel physically sick,and that includes the endless mondo movies I have watched.(not even Divine's dog turd seen).
But for some unholy reason The Worm Eaters had the desired effect on me,repulsion and the gag factor came into play as a bunch of not very good actors thought that shoving worms in there gob would be a ticket to stardom and fame.Now wether they were real or not,(and they looked damn real to me) the very thought alone of those critters wiggling down someones gullet really made me feel quite sick.
Perhaps it was the low budget gritty feel of the film that made it so icky,or perhaps it was the gonzo actors who would seemingly shove anything in an orrifice just so long as it was on camera.
No worm related film before or since has really nailed it like this one has,Parasite,Deadly Spawn or Slugs are fun movies but don't have the worm factor about them.
Produced by Ted V.Mikel's him of the Corpse Grinders and directed (HA) by Herb Robins?,this has the classic feel of low budget grindhouse that you only get with a 70's movie, there is a plot in there somewhere,but I gave up following the story because every time I saw a seen where some one had worms in there mouth I was both grossed out and transfixed,gee perhaps this was a good film after all,I mean im still watching it even tho I wanna barf.
No i just remembered Ill watch any old crap,which kind of brings me around to my final thought,what happened
after the worms were eaten?MMMMMM I think a sequel is needed.
Old 6th August 2014, 05:44 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondadoronron View Post
Meowww get you deary....anyhow Al is in good company with such esteemed directors as Don Dohler and Herb Robbins also on the list,I feel lobotomys will be needed for people who manage to watch that little lot.
Doctor Slowly can perform them if we ask him nicely.
Rondadoronron likes this.
Old 6th August 2014, 05:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Wow!!

Blatant repost time or what? - Worm Eaters and School Girls in Chains.

When i posted twice about Cold Eyes of Fear yesterday i did so with two different reviews.

Now where's my trumpet... i need to blow it some more.
Old 6th August 2014, 05:49 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I fear these questions are going to be a little difficult to answer considering the films in question! Due to their background/history a great deal haven't made the leap to DVD from VHS. In the case of this one, I think there was a Code Red DVD which is now oop / unavailable due to the nature of Bill's current 'business model'... however, there is a perfectly watchable version on the old 'Tube.
Old 6th August 2014, 05:49 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
There was a Code Red release but i doubt this is still available.
Old 6th August 2014, 05:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
There was a Code Red release but i doubt this is still available.

Yeah, I've found a R1 DVD on Amazon for a little over £14, Exploitation Digital apparently, I bet it's a poor quality VHS rip!
Old 6th August 2014, 05:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

If I get time, I might try and compile a definitive list of the availability of each film on DVD/BD

Like this? Share it using the links below!