Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

MacBlayne 10th October 2021 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 660992)
Witchcraft. 1988.

A new mother with her baby son move in with her in-laws and suspect something to be off with them.

The start of what 13-14 movie franchise but fortunately or unfortunately I only managed to find 4 so will be viewing these at some point over this weekend. This one is like a new family looking to turn the mother over for a sacrifice and keep the baby to be the bloodline for Satan and half the time it doesn't work...neither does this film. It has it's bleak moments where it can be interesting but not one I would say rush out and view it, if I did i'm pretty sure I will be hunted down :mob:

Attachment 236800

Have a good day all take it easy

Always wanted to watch this. Just to see the beginning of one of the longest running series out there.

Justin101 10th October 2021 12:18 PM

The Body Snatcher (1945)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pr...49cGzgBepE3yHn

The first really good film of the season for me, I loved it, and a 'new to me' viewing via the WB double bill DVD with I Walk With A Zombie... It looks great for a DVD but bloody hell I'll have to buy the Blu-Ray now :lol:

Popped up on the screen Produced by Val Lewton (which I knew) and Directed by Robert Wise and I did a double take, wait, what... the director of West Side Story, The Sound of Music and Star Trek the Motion Picture... I looked it up, yes the very same! One of those films is among my most loved, can you guess which?

The plot (based on a short story by Robert Louis Stevenson) is essentially an extension of the famous Burke & Hare story, set in Edinburgh with some very questionable accents and pronunciations :lol: I really enjoyed this and thought that Karloff was great as the Cabbie Mr Gray sinister and a bit frightening. I'm not sure why Lugosi was here though, he doesn't do much aside from skulk about in the background as a doctor's assistant, probably just a marketing ploy by RKO to have both names on the poster!

The good quality stuff is over and done with now though because I plan to watch some Linnea Quigley 80's 'horror' movies next :lol:

bleakshaun 10th October 2021 01:29 PM

Tales From the Crypt

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ilm_poster.jpg

Blind Alleys is easily my favourite story from this anthology. There's just something about it that creeps me out.

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th October 2021 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 660992)
Witchcraft. 1988.

A new mother with her baby son move in with her in-laws and suspect something to be off with them.

The start of what 13-14 movie franchise but fortunately or unfortunately I only managed to find 4 so will be viewing these at some point over this weekend. This one is like a new family looking to turn the mother over for a sacrifice and keep the baby to be the bloodline for Satan and half the time it doesn't work...neither does this film. It has it's bleak moments where it can be interesting but not one I would say rush out and view it, if I did i'm pretty sure I will be hunted down :mob:

Attachment 236800

Have a good day all take it easy

I have Witchcraft II The Temptress starring the buxom Delia Shepherd and also Witchcraft X Mistress of the Craft which is a cheap British shot production co-starring Redemption babe Eileen Daly. It's basically a digitally shot softcore romp. Neither are recommended but The Temptress does at least have actors in it.

Stephen@Cult Labs 10th October 2021 02:56 PM

October Horror Movie Marathon

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 661004)
I have Witchcraft II The Temptress starring the buxom Delia Shepherd and also Witchcraft X Mistress of the Craft which is a cheap British shot production co-starring Redemption babe Eileen Daly. It's basically a digitally shot softcore romp. Neither are recommended but The Temptress does at least have actors in it.

That reminds me that Witchcraft II was released a few months ago on dvd in Germany. Meant to pick it up.

bleakshaun 10th October 2021 03:00 PM

The Vault of Horror

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...%281973%29.jpg

Not as good nor as memorable as Tales from the Crypt but nevertheless a great anthology. Favourite story has to be either Midnight Mess or Bargain in Death.

Justin101 10th October 2021 03:09 PM

Nightmare Sisters (1988)

https://johnrieber.files.wordpress.c...re-sisters.png

From the sublime to the sexily ridiculous! 3 nerdy sorority sisters find themselves alone for the weekend and invite the only boys they know over to the house for a small party, they end up holding a seance (as you do) and become possessed by a Succubus.

Contains quite honestly the longest gratuitous "3 naked girls in a bath tub" scene I have ever seen, fantastic! If you like boobs (in three different size variations, something for everyone) then you're in luck, you'll enjoy this :lol: After their extended soap session the three girls are hungry and only a certain oral activity will sate them, just watch out for those razor sharp teeth!

:behindsofa:

I find it hard to actually recommend this because I'm fully aware that my taste levels are questionable and this is clearly not a well made film, but it's campy, and sexy and has a Linnea Quigley music video (she's performing her own original song) right in the middle which is excellent :) Watched via the 88 Films triple bill collection '80's Scream Queens'

trebor8273 10th October 2021 07:09 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyF32_uwKPM

A very dull/boring slasher which starts with a young couple being murdered than we have carnival with the world's oldest looking teenagers , it's not till The last ten minutes anything happens and then people drop like flys. A few interesting kills and that's about it as most take place of screen. It was obvious in the first ten minutes who the killer was. One I won't be revisting. Lucky was only 2.99.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ftmr17M-a4

The rare beast a remake that's better than the original. A true classic which still has the most impressive practical effects seen and some great creature designs.

Now watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jsKkKfb4ig

MrBarlow 10th October 2021 07:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Witchcraft II: The Temptress. 1989.

The baby who was to keep the bloodline with The Churchills is now a teenager living with another family under the watchful eye of neighbour Dolores who is trying to seduce him and follow his path to destiny with the cult.

I watched this before and probably didn't give it great marks, re-watching it today and a bit more enjoyable, ok the acting may not be the best but the cast do try to make it work, if Delia Shepperd came knocking on the door would you say no? The film seems to start where the first one ended then straight to 17-18 years later. There are some "what the heck and I take nobody realises she is a witch moments". Entertaining enough.

Attachment 236803

Justin101 10th October 2021 08:43 PM

I watched Escape Room on Amazon Prime since the sequel just come out and people are talking about it. Turns out there are three films called Escape Room and I watched the wrong one, and it was bloody awful.

6 horrible people go to an escape room to celebrate one of their birthdays, they end up dying from traps in a crappy Saw pastiche, no one cared and the film ended with some clever (I'm sure the writer thought so at least) speech about 'who really escaped' to the one person who actually didn't die...

Don't bother...

MrBarlow 10th October 2021 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 661015)
I watched Escape Room on Amazon Prime since the sequel just come out and people are talking about it. Turns out there are three films called Escape Room and I watched the wrong one, and it was bloody awful.

6 horrible people go to an escape room to celebrate one of their birthdays, they end up dying from traps in a crappy Saw pastiche, no one cared and the film ended with some clever (I'm sure the writer thought so at least) speech about 'who really escaped' to the one person who actually didn't die...

Don't bother...

Ohhh once you see it you can't unsee it Justin, you done what I done and by heck I turned it off about 20-30 mins cos it wasn't the one I wanted to watch.

MrBarlow 10th October 2021 09:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Witchcraft III: The Kiss Of Death. 1991.

William now working as a lawyer and is now a warlock but doesn't want to use his powers, another warlock tries to force him to the dark side of life.

This is set...sometime after the second film, William (Charles Solomon) knowing about is family's name and trying to get on with life, this is like very soft horror with Lisa Toothman showing more than just her backside and Dominic Luciana giving out a over the top scream as he dies, don't have your volume up for that one. I really wanted to like this one but seems to lack any suspense or blood and gore, maybe another watch of it will happen.

Attachment 236804

MrBarlow 10th October 2021 11:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Witchcraft IV: The Virgin Heart. 1992.

A rock band are willing to sell their souls for fame and fortune and William is trying to stop them from doing so.

I will hold hands my hands and say these film aren't the greatest and mildly entertaining, the first three are better than this installment, it seems to go to horror then detective story which involves a stupid why strip joint moment or did I miss something. Charles Solomon returns as William who tries to stop the forces of evil. Unforgettable and Avoidable.

Attachment 236805

MrBarlow 11th October 2021 01:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Haunted House Of Horrors. 1969.

A group of teens gather to go ghost hunting in a abandoned house only for them to be murdered by someone in their group.

Not greatly paced film but does build up some of the characters from British film and television, I forgot Richard O' Sullivan was in this and Frankie Avalon, in a somewhat lead role. Who would of thought the makers can pull of a decent atmospheric Gothic type house in the 60s...well they did along with a haunting background score, not my favourite when I first saw it but it's has grown on me.

Attachment 236806

MrBarlow 11th October 2021 03:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hell House LLC: The Director's Cut.

A group of people buy a run down hotel "The Abaddon Hotel" and turn it into a Halloween attraction. On the opening night tragedy struck with speculation, one of the organizers comes forward with footage that was shot from the first day.

This was to be released on amazon prime on the 30th of this month, someone on YouTube ( V Horror Movies) uploaded it there, if you are a fan of this film, I would recommend you check it out. If you are not and like found footage movies then give this one a look, it is decently made with some extended scenes and deleted scenes been added it and may give you another reason to hate clowns.

Attachment 236807

MacBlayne 11th October 2021 05:17 AM

CANDYMAN

Decided to give this a rewatch after suffering through the 2021 film, and reading the AV Club's shower of lies masquerading as review that tried to claim that Bernard Rose was just portraying "White anxieties using a scary Black man."

While racial politics and racism are present in Candyman, they are not what Rose and original writer Clive Barker limit themselves to. Candyman is a striking, fascinating exploration of the power of folklore and urban legends, and how they are developed and exploited both by oppressed societies and those who do the oppressing.

Nia DaCosta's Candyman (2021) was content to tell us racism is bad, and have an avenging ghost give us some gore. Rose's Candyman wants us to squirm. This is not a White guilt story, in which the audience is absolved by the end when the characters admit things could have been done better, nor is it a diatribe against racism, in which the audience can relax because, "Hey, I don't do hate crimes." Rose and Barker's tale is one that can work anywhere where divisions and inequality exist.

The stark contrast between Helen's (Virginia Madsen) and Anne-Marie's (Vanessa Estelle Williams) home is a good measure of what Rose is trying to say. Helen lives in a gorgeous, spacious apartment that overlooks the city's skyline. Outside her home are large parks or clean public spaces. Anne-Marie lives in the ghettos with her baby son. Her apartment is tiny and cramped, but she has done her best to make it cosy and clean. However, the illusion of spruceness is shattered whenever she opens the door. Filth, rubbish, graffiti, and even excrement await with the gang members making crass comments towards the female form. When Helen visits the projects, the opulent, distant skyscrapers of Chicago loom over what looks like a warzone.

Seeing this nightmare outside her home, it's easy to know why a boogeyman like Candyman exists. A story told by parents to their children to make them vigilant. Explaining gangsters, rapists, and drugs to a small child may be difficult for the child, and hard for those living there to admit to, but a monster is simple. No questions asked.

Candyman wants you to feel outraged. It is not one to judge, for the film doesn't have any answers to a punishing problem. It just highlights how society has failed and betrayed communities that they are forced to invent monsters just to survive their plight.

Even if one were to remove the social studies and subtext, Candyman is a magnificent horror experience. The legend of saying his name five times in a mirror is alluring, and perhaps the main reason why the film was a schoolground favourite growing up. At eight years old we were too young to understand class division, but we would all dare each other to say his name five times.

Speaking of alluring, Tony Todd is perfect as Candyman. Apparently, Eddie Murphy almost played him before dropping out. I like Murphy, but Todd was born to play him. Tall, handsome, and with a voice to make you weak at the knees, Todd captures the enchantment and terror such a creation can draw. His target, Helen, is played with grace and tragedy with Virginia Madsen. Her performance plumbs depths you rarely see in a genre film. Honestly, both actors should have had Oscar nominations. They are well supported by the film's beautiful visuals. Rose and cinematographer Anthony Richmond employ strobing colours and slightly-slow-motion to give the film a hallucinatory experience that you cannot wake up from. Complimenting it all is Philip Glass's extraordinary score that sells the menace and the tragedy of the Candyman legend.

Candyman is a film that keeps getting better everytime I see it. There is so much to dig into when one isn't hiding behind the settee. The final scenes make you wonder how the sequels missed the mark so much. Characters may die, but legends live on.

nosferatu42 11th October 2021 05:28 AM

To be honest, I've never been a massive Candyman fan, think i need to re evaluate it soon.

MrBarlow 11th October 2021 05:47 AM

Think Bernard Rose and Clive Barker made a good choice with Tony Todd, a stage actor who was able to give a creepy performance, with Eddie Murphy I doubt it would be taken seriously or he would be a diva to get his own way.

The opening credits with the score and the ariel shot gave it that vibe that we were in for a good movie even watching it at 11 years old when it came out I just about went through one or two clean pair of shorts, and genuinley it creeped me out, the only horror film that scared me and never watched it for so many years without shaking and now its a classic for me.

Nordicdusk 11th October 2021 08:04 AM

Ok so i have a lot of catching up to do i have only managed 3 films from 10 days for a 30 unseen. Think its gonna have to be two a night.

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th October 2021 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 661029)
Ok so i have a lot of catching up to do i have only managed 3 films from 10 days for a 30 unseen. Think its gonna have to be two a night.

Yeah, get cracking, Nordy. :clap:

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th October 2021 09:02 AM

October 10th

2 Attachment(s)
Halloween Night (2006)

Halloween Night offers exploitation at it's best, both exploiting the studios by ripping offer a better film in Halloween and exploiting the punters with very gruesome violence and naked lesbians ... now i have Nordy's attention!

It's derivative and at times ridiculous but it's well made or at least clunkily made with great effects and some fun intricacies to the storyline outside the basic derisory premise not to mention a nicely outlandish looking killer, less burn victim and more zombie tree dude.

The Pumpkin Karver (2006)

I rather enjoy this Halloween set slasher and tend to give it an airing each October. It's got a decent budget and has some fun murders including a poor chap who ends up on the sharp end of a farm drill with his intestines swirling round. Added to this is a decent cast of unknowns and a scary pumpkin masked killer...yeah! i like this one even if the final scene doesn't make too much sense.

That's two trashy exploitative Halloween set slashers from the same year. Good times.

I'm still trying to figure out how to review Saturday's movies. Argento's Inferno and Chaney classic The Wolfman. A few lines doesn't seem appropriate when in all these years i've never reviewed them before. A case of Holy Grails methinks.

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th October 2021 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 661022)
Witchcraft IV: The Virgin Heart. 1992.

A rock band are willing to sell their souls for fame and fortune and William is trying to stop them from doing so.

I will hold hands my hands and say these film aren't the greatest and mildly entertaining, the first three are better than this installment, it seems to go to horror then detective story which involves a stupid why strip joint moment or did I miss something. Charles Solomon returns as William who tries to stop the forces of evil. Unforgettable and Avoidable.

Attachment 236805

Being a Julie Strain film this is one i'd love to see,

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th October 2021 12:42 PM

October 9th

2 Attachment(s)
Inferno (1980)

For a long long time my favourite Dario Argento film was Inferno's predecessor and first of the Three Mothers Trilogy, Suspiria, however during the last decade it's Inferno, the second of the trilogy that has become my favourite from the Italian maestro. The story follows a young man's (Leigh McCloskey...that was almost my review - The one with Mitch from Dallas) investigation of his sister's disappearance from her New York apartment, an apartment that was allegedly home to an ancient witch, one of the three mothers Mater Tenebrarum (the other two being Mater Lachrymarum and Mater Suspiriorum ). I wonder why Dario didn't call this one Tenebre? A title he used for an unrelated film two years later.

Inferno has everything Suspiria has and more. There's the trademark Argento gore, shot as stylishly as ever, like watching a painting created out of blood, together with a terrific score from rock legend Keith Emerson and there's the colours.

Suspiria is rightly lauded for it's use of colour. Reds that prove so vibrant that they are integral to the film's aura, yet Inferno is very much the same yet nowhere near as acclaimed in that respect. Inferno's use of bright pinks and blues, often in the same shot are every bit as stylish as anything Suspiria offers up, in fact to my eyes even more so as i think the colour palettes work even better here so much so that even dark night time scenes have a day-glo vibrancy to them.

As a whole the film is a hypnotic nightmarish descent into hell, perfectly encapsulated by the opening scenes as Irene Miracle's Rose takes a swim in a water filled basement trying to reach her keys and coming across a putrefying corpse in the submerged cellar. It's unnerving and highly claustrophobic and sets the scene of the terrors to come.

The Wolf Man (1941)

Universal's classic chiller is as influential as any horror film ever made as it pretty much sets the background lore of the entire werewolf genre. So much so that a verse quoted more than once in the film - "Even a man who is pure in heart, and says his prayers by night; May become a wolf when the wolfsbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright" - isn't an ancient poem from centuries earlier but a couple of lines at the time probably thrown together by screen writer Curt Siodmak.

Lon Chaney Jr in his most memorable role plays Lawrence Talbot who is attacked by a werewolf one evening and under the full moon himself transforms into the slavering beast.

The time-lapse make up of the werewolf transformation by Jack Pierce is outstanding whilst Siodmak's script beautifully explores the terror, torment and trauma of lycanthropy in a very sympathetic fashion as director George Waggner paces the film beautifully.

My favourite of the seven original Universal Monsters films.

Justin101 11th October 2021 01:16 PM

Two of my absolute Favs there! Actually last time I saw Inferno was 4 maybe 5 years ago during October when a local small run cinema did a double bill of Blood and Black Lace and Inferno, definitely about time for a rewatch.

As for the colours you mention, I think what it is, Suspira was shot using the last available reels of Technicolor from the 60's and was one of the last films to be processed that way. Inferno was just filmed on the bog standard film, so while it's still colourful it doesn't pop like Suspiria. However, I'm keen to see a new remaster of it finished in 4k, the blu, while it looks good, I think has room for improvement.

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th October 2021 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 661048)
Two of my absolute Favs there! Actually last time I saw Inferno was 4 maybe 5 years ago during October when a local small run cinema did a double bill of Blood and Black Lace and Inferno, definitely about time for a rewatch.

As for the colours you mention, I think what it is, Suspira was shot using the last available reels of Technicolor from the 60's and was one of the last films to be processed that way. Inferno was just filmed on the bog standard film, so while it's still colourful it doesn't pop like Suspiria. However, I'm keen to see a new remaster of it finished in 4k, the blu, while it looks good, I think has room for improvement.

I thought the Arrow blu looked stunning on a 4K tv. The depth to the image was amazing coming across like 3D at times.

Justin101 11th October 2021 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 661050)
I thought the Arrow blu looked stunning on a 4K tv. The depth to the image was amazing coming across like 3D at times.

I'm not sure it was sourced from a 4k remaster, the disc is from 2010 and Arrow weren't doing that kind of thing back then, but I would have to look at the transfer notes in the booklet to be sure. Also I haven't watched it for a long time so it's not fresh in my memory :)

trebor8273 11th October 2021 04:41 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x3QGzrnMG8

Really not a horror more a thriller with supernatural elements. A young medium who travels around America with her alcoholic farther comes to the attention of a reporter after she predicts the assassination of man which leads her to come to the attention of the police, the mob and the assassin. As said more thriller with some supernatural elements ,but well acted from the three leads Jason Robards , Rosanna Arquette and Tom Hulce. We have a supernatural twist at the end.

bleakshaun 11th October 2021 06:28 PM

The Shout

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...out-poster.jpg

Not one I really enjoyed years ago. But upon a rewatch a really enjoyable viewing this time. One I'd recommend people to watch (or at least try).

Nordicdusk 11th October 2021 07:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
30 days of unseen horror

Film 1

Attachment 236822

Years after the high rises of Cabrini Green have been torn down the area is no longer a project but filled with up market apartments full of career people and artists a far cry from its run down crime riddled past. Anthony and his girlfriend live in a fancy loft apartment where Anthony spends his days trying to come up with some fresh ideas for his next art exhibition. After bumping into an old man who tells him the true story of the Candyman Anthony draws inspiration for his new works resulting in a series of extremely macabre paintings and ideas. It doesn't take long before all the newfound interest on Candyman brings him back to terrorise the residence of the new Cabrini Green.

As someone who absolutely loves the original film i was looking forward to this when i saw the first teaser trailer but after the second full trailer was released i was a little worried it looked like it lacked atmosphere but i remained a little optimistic and more than willing to give it a chance but i was right to be worried. For me the whole thing lacked tension and atmosphere some parts were shot really well but honestly that's one of the few upsides of this. The soundtrack was pretty disappointing too it had its moments but when you listen to the whole thing in one go it falls pretty flat. There are plenty of kills but the camera cuts away everytime it was so bloody infuriating.

I won't come back to this i liked what they were trying to do but it could of been done much better. Im sure there is some deep meaning and social commentary as i have seen with some reviews i even saw reviews and not one or two plenty that said if you didn't enjoy it or get it then you are racist :lol:

My favourite review was Im sure Sammy Davis Jr saw scarier films :lol:

5/10

MrBarlow 11th October 2021 07:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Innkeepers. 2011.

In the final days of a hotel, two employees try to uncover real ghosts that may be roaming the hotel.

This is one of those rare haunted house movies...or in this case haunted hotel that goes back to basic ghost story, there is no CGI involved, a bit of blood, but the two main actors Sara Paxton and Pat Healey who play the staff and amateur ghost hunters help create the atmosphere with some good jump scenes and a small role by Kelly McGillis. The story is told in three chapters and can be a bit slow paced but enjoyable for me.

Attachment 236823

MrBarlow 11th October 2021 07:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Curtains. 1983.

A group of young actresses auditioning for a new movie in a remote mansion are being stalked and killed by a masked lunatic.

This is one of those missed 80s mad man slasher films that does pop up every once and while, there is limited gore in this but mostly seems to rely on good acting mixed with suspense and atmosphere with one or two twists and turns along the way. John Vernon plays the director who is holding auditions and Samantha Eggar as his leading lady who has escaped from the asylum where she was to understand her new film role. Entertaining.

Attachment 236824

trebor8273 11th October 2021 07:53 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIRVOepV9Ik

I love this film, but I still at times don't know what the hell is going on , on moment you think you have figured it out then something happens and everything is turned on its head. Subtly creepy with a eerie dream/nightmare quality which things don't quite make sense.

Now watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjrMYfrBxyM

MrBarlow 11th October 2021 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 661077)

I love this film, but I still at times don't know what the hell is going on , on moment you think you have figured it out then something happens and everything is turned on its head. Subtly creepy with a eerie dream/nightmare quality which things don't quite make sense.

Now watching.

It be interesting to see your thoughts on Dementer, I had mixed feelings about watching this one, are you going to be watching the Phantasm sequels?

trebor8273 11th October 2021 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 661078)
It be interesting to see your thoughts on Dementer, I had mixed feelings about watching this one, are you going to be watching the Phantasm sequels?

Yes going too watch them all,the small amount I've seen of Dementer its probably going to be a weird one and maybe a bit of a head ****!

Nordicdusk 11th October 2021 08:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
30 days of unseen horror

Film 2

Attachment 236825

In a world overrun by extraterrestrial creatures that only respond to sound people must live in constant fear and total silence the simplest things can no longer be done talking to loved ones listening to music or even walking are all a life or death challenge. Evelyn and Lee have three kids making the quest for survival even harder.

I put this off for a long time because i find Emily Blunt a little annoying so i just didn't bother how wrong was i because this is a great film. The lack of music and talking brings a whole new atmosphere the tension of silence can be so unnerving even the rustling of a leaf could cost you your life and you are really taken in by the struggle that these parents are going through to keep their kids alive and how hard it is for them to not even be able to tell their kids how much that they love them it can be heartbreaking to watch at times. Every performance is spot on especially the kids relying on their actions and expressions to show you what they are going through was really brilliant.

Tense and very engaging from start to finish a real surprise for me.

8/10

Nordicdusk 11th October 2021 08:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
30 days of unseen horror

Film 3

Attachment 236831

No longer able to rely on the once safety of their now burnt down home the Abbots must now venture into the unknown and seek an new safe place to call home. Now with a newborn to add to their troubles they must come up with new ways to outsmart the creatures that stalk the countryside but its not only the creatures that they have to worry about because people can be worse than anything. The Abbots may just have the upper hand this time around after discovering the creatures have a weakness but the creatures may still have a few tricks up their sleeve yet.

This time around we get to see what life was like just before the creatures arrived on earth and the immediate chaos it brought with it those scenes are pretty exciting and frantic and it's sort of a sign of things to come with this film a little more fast paced with more attacking the creatures not just running all the time. A Quiet Place II doesn't get lost in the action it balances it just right keeping the atmosphere that made the first film so enjoyable but also giving hope that there may be a way out of this. Once again the kids do a great job really becoming the stars of the film once again take that Emily Blunt :lol:

If you enjoyed the first film then you should enjoy this just as much.

8/10

trebor8273 11th October 2021 09:20 PM

Really don't know what too make of this, we follow a woman whom has escaped from a satanic cult and has scars both physical and mental, who starts a job looking after people are with learning difficulties when one her charges takes ill she tries too help but is she really helping?

It's shot kind of like a documentary and found it unsettling and unnerving but as said at beginning still not sure what too make off it.

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th October 2021 09:50 PM

Great reviews, Nordy. :welcome:

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th October 2021 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 661077)

I'm hoping the Phantasm box set will feature in the upcoming Arrow sale.

I've still got the Anchor Bay ball set but it lives in the back room with mementos i brought back from Egypt and is a bit out of sight out of mind as it's part of the furniture so to speak.

MrBarlow 11th October 2021 09:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dawn Of The Dead. 1978.

Two S.W.A.T. members, a helicopter traffic reporter and his television executive girlfriend take shelter in a shopping mall during a zombie outbreak.

One of the best sequels in the Zombie film genre, this builds up the characters from the start with their jobs and everyone panicking on what to do until the foursome find what seems to be a safe heaven. Gaylen Ross, Ken Foree, David Emge and Scott H. Reiniger play the hapless store survivors who give up on any chance of rescue and feel safe in the mall and create a living environment.

Romero must have thought what would people do in this sort of situation and basically thought anarchy, governments will collapse and every man or group for themselves, even with doctors and scientists creating their own theory and disagreeing all the time.

Is there anything that Tom Savini didn't do in this film? he played a zombie getting whacked by a truck, a member of the biker gang, make up artist, which he wasn't too happy at times with his work for picking the wrong colour and stunt performer. This has always been a great film to me and never gets boring.

Attachment 236834