Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd October 2016 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBlayne (Post 509037)
Haven't seen this in years but I remember being thoroughly impressed with it. It starts off like a silly horror mystery, but gradually gets more and more unnerving. It's obvious from watching it that Polanski took the material rather seriously, and chose to put the viewer through a similar journey as Depp. I wonder if this is why many American critics took a dislike to it - that it became a straight-up horror rather than a faux satire of the genre.

Great review!

Thanks Mac.

Actually it starts off as a Noirish mystery. There's not even a whiff of horror for about forty minutes until Depp figures out what LCF means as a signature on the books art plates. You are right that it gets more and more unnerving as it goes along.

MacBlayne 22nd October 2016 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 509039)
Thanks Mac.

Actually it starts off as a Noirish mystery. There's not even a whiff of horror for about forty minutes until Depp figures out what LCF means as a signature on the books art plates. You are right that it gets more and more unnerving as it goes along.

Ah, I see. It's been a while. I remember these twin brothers that would finish each others' sentences. It seemed to be played for humourous effect, which is what I meant by "silly" (should have said comedic).

However, as you point out, once Depp figures out what the LCF means, everything preceding it suddenly becomes more sinister. I think Polanski did this as he wanted us to feel comfortable, and then pull away all our safe zones.

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd October 2016 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBlayne (Post 509040)
Ah, I see. It's been a while. I remember these twin brothers that would finish each others' sentences. It seemed to be played for humourous effect, which is what I meant by "silly" (should have said comedic).

However, as you point out, once Depp figures out what the LCF means, everything preceding it suddenly becomes more sinister. I think Polanski did this as he wanted us to feel comfortable, and then pull away all our safe zones.

Those brothers are excellent. According to the Polanski commentary neither were actors. I thought considering this they pull it off rather well.

You should watch it again Mac. It's definitely one to revisit. For some reason your review of Hannibal brought it to the top of the Halloween viewing pile.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd October 2016 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 509016)
The Ninth Gate (1999)

Top review and thanks for the reminder.

It has been years since I saw this but, even though I enjoyed and greatly appreciated it, I don't seem to own it in any format. As you said, The Ninth Gate is an extremely well made and atmospheric film, which I somehow confused in my mind with Secret Window, a film which has a great deal of promise, but is largely based on a premise which I deciphered before the first act had finished.

I'm going to have a look and see if there is a reasonably priced copy of The Ninth Gate available and, if there is, I'll buy it to watch in the run-up to Halloween.

trebor8273 22nd October 2016 02:25 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Gates of hell trilogy tonight.

Frankenhooker 22nd October 2016 02:26 PM

The Ninth Gate pops up in Poundland quite frequently, I bought the DVD in there about a year ago but have seen a copy on the shelves plenty of times since.

I enjoyed the film, perhaps not as much as some, but Polanski has never made a bad film in my opinion.

MacBlayne 22nd October 2016 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 509041)
Those brothers are excellent. According to the Polanski commentary neither were actors. I thought considering this they pull it off rather well.

You should watch it again Mac. It's definitely one to revisit. For some reason your review of Hannibal brought it to the top of the Halloween viewing pile.

Maybe it's the Christian-European design, considering damnation is a theme in both films, and old Christian architecture is very much all about how you're going to Hell because you didn't say your Rosary or whatever.

I'll give it a watch tonight. I'm currently reading The Terror Engine (an academic study of the first four Silent Hill games) and it'll be interesting to see how a slowing unraveling horror film plays out now.

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd October 2016 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBlayne (Post 509045)

I'll give it a watch tonight. I'm currently reading The Terror Engine (an academic study of the first four Silent Hill games) and it'll be interesting to see how a slowing unraveling horror film plays out now.

I've only ever played the very first Silent Hill game on the PS2. I was loving it, so atmospheric, but i seemed to get stuck somewhere and never went back to it.

I haven't played a video game since 2009.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd October 2016 03:09 PM

I used to love watching my brother play the Silent Hill games and would make him do it in my room with the lights off and curtains closed, and the volume turned up on my amplifier which, at the time, had a 5.0 speaker setup. He would only tolerate it for so long and then be so creeped out he would have to turn it off and do something else!

As for The Ninth Gate, I decided to future proof my purchase and go for the Region A Blu-ray release (£7.28) rather than pay (about £6) less for the DVD.

MacBlayne 22nd October 2016 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 509046)
I've only ever played the very first Silent Hill game on the PS2. I was loving it, so atmospheric, but i seemed to get stuck somewhere and never went back to it.

I haven't played a video game since 2009.

I recommend playing Silent Hill 2. It's a stand-alone game and is regarded very highly amongst fans, reviewers, and academics. Generally, whenever somebody brings up the "video-games aren't art" argument, Silent Hill 2 is often brought up as the exception.

It's very slow-burning - it takes 20-30 minutes for anything to actually happen but that's because it is creating a very thick sense of dread. Plus, whereas other games usually have you thinking "if it's that bad, why doesn't he leave?", the more you progress, the more you realise why James Sunderland is in Silent Hill.

Anyways, here's some teasers and a review to elaborate on my points. I'm going to stop harping on the series now.