Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th September 2015, 02:14 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Perhaps a little early, but as the nights draw in my favourite season rapidly approaches!

There's been a little whisper here and there of that 'H' word we all know and love and as I've just dutily filled my Lovefilm rental queue full of 'high priority' horror goodness I was wondering whether anyone else was looking at doing any horror-related viewing this coming Halloween season.
Old 8th September 2015, 07:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Perhaps a little early, but as the nights draw in my favourite season rapidly approaches!

There's been a little whisper here and there of that 'H' word we all know and love and as I've just dutily filled my Lovefilm rental queue full of 'high priority' horror goodness I was wondering whether anyone else was looking at doing any horror-related viewing this coming Halloween season.
I'm sure i will be doing as i always do. Watch the majority of the Halloween series in the run up along with things like Satan's Little Helper, Trick r' Treat and such like. As well as one or two choice Hammer and Universal treats. My actual Halloween movie for this year arrived today - Trick or Treat. A film i haven't seen in at least 20 years.
Old 8th September 2015, 07:27 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I'm sure i will be doing as i always do. Watch the majority of the Halloween series in the run up along with things like Satan's Little Helper, Trick r' Treat and such like. As well as one or two choice Hammer and Universal treats. My actual Halloween movie for this year arrived today - Trick or Treat. A film i haven't seen in at least 20 years.
Sounds good.

I usually like watching the original Halloween and Trick 'r Treat around the spooky day itself, although don't generally adhere to a strict film diet during the season too much.

I have quite a few titles added to my rental list though (some of them recommendations, others films I thought sounded good and others I haven't seen in a while and maybe want to revisit), plus some purchases I've been holding back for the season too.

As you know I watched Satan's Little Helper earlier on in the year and really enjoyed it so I can see that becoming a Halloween staple in years to come.
Old 8th September 2015, 07:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I'm always up for new films to watch that are set at or around Halloween so if anyone has any ideas feel free to mention them here.
Old 8th September 2015, 08:50 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I'm always up for new films to watch that are set at or around Halloween so if anyone has any ideas feel free to mention them here.
I haven't seen it myself (I do want to check it out), but Tales of Halloween, an anthology style film from a few noticeable horror names (including Darren Lynn Bousman, Neil Marshall and Lucky McKee) sounds like it could be interesting.

Tales of Halloween (2015)

Quote:
Ten stories are woven together by their shared theme of Halloween night in an American suburb, where ghouls, imps, aliens and axe murderers appear for one night only to terrorize unsuspecting residents.
It sounds a little like Trick 'r Treat - which can't be a bad thing.

IMDb: Tales of Halloween (2015) - IMDb

Murder Party is one I rate quite highly... although it's arguably more of a dark comedy than a straight-up horror film but still contains elements.

Murder Party (2007)

Quote:
A random invitation to a Halloween party leads a man into the hands of a rogue collective intent on murdering him for the sake of their art, sparking a bloodbath of mishap, mayhem and hilarity.
There's also Lesson of Evil, which would certainly fit the Halloween template, however I know you're not a massive fan of Asian horror... not that it's really straight-up horror either. I watched it for the first time last Halloween and really enjoyed it - it has a manically gleeful edge to it and I couldn't not mention it.

Lesson of Evil (2012)

Quote:
A popular high school teacher concocts an extreme plan to deal with the rise of bullying and bad behavior among the student body.
Maybe we should start an unconventional/alternative Halloween films thread.
Old 8th September 2015, 08:56 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

It's a rather predictable choice, but on Halloween night I normally watch the original 1978 Carpenter film. If I am in the right mood, I might even add the sequel and watch it back to back.

Having said that, Halloween as a festive day is nothing to me. Apart from the aforementioned habit, I do not celebrate the event. However, I really like it when people have 'rituals' (like watching specific films at a specific time). I guess they distract from life's trials and tribulations and cheer people up.
keirarts likes this.
Old 8th September 2015, 09:09 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
Having said that, Halloween as a festive day is nothing to me. Apart from the aforementioned habit, I do not celebrate the event. However, I really like it when people have 'rituals' (like watching specific films at a specific time). I guess they distract from life's trials and tribulations and cheer people up.
I try and force it and every year end up disappointed. To me, Halloween should be as prolonged and unnecessary as Christmas, however everyone around me are a miserable bunch of assholes so no-one's interested in watching horror films, dressing up or having/going to parties. I'm going to try and host a party at mine next year, but will probably end up dressed up in copious amounts of make-up pigging out on treats watching films alone in the dark by the glow of my pumpkin sobbing under my black, spookily decorated Halloween tree*

*pending purchase.
Old 8th September 2015, 09:23 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I very much enjoyed Murder Party. One of the few modern horrors I've liked, actually they do tend to sway on the dark comedy side.

Blooming hell does rating things high priority work for you? I must be a bit odd with my tastes as they never send the things I really want. Then they stop sending me TV shows mid series. :grumble:
Old 8th September 2015, 09:32 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I haven't seen it myself (I do want to check it out), but Tales of Halloween, an anthology style film from a few noticeable horror names (including Darren Lynn Bousman, Neil Marshall and Lucky McKee) sounds like it could be interesting.
This does sound interesting. In fact it sounds just like Trick r' Treat. Thanks for the heads up.

Edit. - Is it a cinema release? There's no disc available.
Old 8th September 2015, 09:37 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLynette View Post
Blooming hell does rating things high priority work for you? I must be a bit odd with my tastes as they never send the things I really want. Then they stop sending me TV shows mid series. :grumble:
It works to a point - if something's just been been released and/or mega popular then it generally doesn't. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person renting some of these discs from them so they've got plenty to spare!
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!