Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 24th October 2015 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 465811)
Does it still stand up all these years later?

I really enjoyed revisiting it. The effects work are fun and atypical '80s, plus the whole 'metal-heads are outsiders' and 'metal is the devil's music' whilst not as relevant nowadays still rings true at certain levels... sadly. Ozzy Osbourne as the TV preacher is also still as hilarious as ever (given how serious he is on screen).

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th October 2015 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 465834)
I really enjoyed revisiting it. The effects work are fun and atypical '80s, plus the whole 'metal-heads are outsiders' and 'metal is the devil's music' whilst not as relevant nowadays still rings true at certain levels... sadly. Ozzy Osbourne as the TV preacher is also still as hilarious as ever (given how serious he is on screen).

I too enjoyed it. Thought the soundtrack to be very good. I used to have it on vinyl at one stage.

It all brought back memories of the whole PMRC debacle from that era. Sammi Curr seemed to be a strange mash up of Dee Snider and Blackie Lawless from W.A.S.P.

It did amuse me that Gene Simmons' DJ gave away the rare acetate. He probably found it painful to say those lines. I'm surprised he didn't auction it inside a Kiss coffin.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 24th October 2015 11:40 AM

I'm going to check this one out sometime today...

Black Moon (1934)

http://primer.a.ltrbxd.com/resized/f...g?k=49d901871f

Love battling against the sorcery of the jungle!

A woman returning to her island birthplace finds herself drawn to a voodoo cult.

It seems interesting - has anyone seen it?

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th October 2015 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 465837)
I'm going to check this one out sometime today...

Black Moon (1934)

http://primer.a.ltrbxd.com/resized/f...g?k=49d901871f

Love battling against the sorcery of the jungle!

A woman returning to her island birthplace finds herself drawn to a voodoo cult.

It seems interesting - has anyone seen it?

Sadly not, no.

Inspector Abberline 24th October 2015 04:26 PM

Trick r Treat

3 Attachment(s)
first tonight Trick r Treat smell my feet.

Attachment 171620Attachment 171622Attachment 171624

trebor8273 24th October 2015 06:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
First viewing

Attachment 171625

Attachment 171626

Inspector Abberline 24th October 2015 07:56 PM

flintstone

4 Attachment(s)
Just started the Jurassic Park box set, In a world where there's no Ray Harryhausen ,this is next best thing to a 50's monster movie, perhaps one day we will see Gwangi Vs Beast from 20.000 Fathoms. Any how I like a good dinosaur flick.

trebor8273 24th October 2015 07:59 PM

with it being classed as horror was going to watch hemlock grove on netflix, is it worth watching or is it some awful type of teenage crap like twilight?

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th October 2015 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 465865)
Just started the Jurassic Park box set, In a world where there's no Ray Harryhausen ,this is next best thing to a 50's monster movie, perhaps one day we will see Gwangi Vs Beast from 20.000 Fathoms. Any how I like a good dinosaur flick.

I really like all the JP films. Although i've bought the latest this week i thought i might save it until Christmas to watch. It's not like the Sainsburies ltd 2 disc set will drop in price anyway.

trebor8273 24th October 2015 08:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
After I've finished watching the first episode of hemlock grove this is the next viewing of the night

Attachment 171642

Attachment 171643

Attachment 171644

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th October 2015 10:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tonight's film. Once the witching hour beckons.

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th October 2015 10:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I must admit i think the recently released dvd looks far better than the blu. Nice and black!

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th October 2015 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 465875)
I must admit i think the recently released dvd looks far better than the blu. Nice and black!

The fact it's a 12 rather than 15 suggests it's probably extras free though. :rolleyes:

Inspector Abberline 24th October 2015 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 465876)
The fact it's a 12 rather than 15 suggests it's probably extras free though. :rolleyes:

Dem, you might need the sleep your talking to yourself.

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th October 2015 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 465877)
Dem, you might need the sleep your talking to yourself.

I know. It's great. :brainfood:

I've finally found someone of an equal intellect i can have a conversation with.

Justin101 25th October 2015 09:47 AM

I watched Texas Chainsaw Massacre last night and it's still as vile and filthy as I remember it. I loved it :chainsawkill:

You get a real sense of Marilyn Burns' misery in the final scenes, and it makes me want to see or read docs about the making if the film, I might check out the 40th anniversary Bluray if I see it for a decent price, perhaps I can bring in an american import for cheaper than the UK steelbook??

Only 2 more to go now before I complete the challange which is great because I have a busy week ahead of me, going to see Jodorowsky's Dune at the cinema tonight, Bill Bailey tomorrow, Cat Power in Manchester on Tuesday and Joanna Newsom in Manchester on Saturday! Phew....

I need to watch another Wes Craven film, any suggestions, I've watched People Under the Stairs and The Serpent and the Rainbow already this month, and I watched all the Nightmare... movies in a marathon recently with my flatemate.

MacBlayne 25th October 2015 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 465898)
I need to watch another Wes Craven film, any suggestions, I've watched People Under the Stairs and The Serpent and the Rainbow already this month, and I watched all the Nightmare... movies in a marathon recently with my flatemate.

The Hills Have Eyes? Or Shocker, if you want a laugh.

Rik 25th October 2015 09:52 AM

Or Deadly Blessing if you suffer from insomnia!

Justin101 25th October 2015 10:02 AM

I was thinking about Shocker, I love the Megadeth cover version of Alice Cooper! Shocker is produced by Alice's management isn't it?

Rik 25th October 2015 10:14 AM

I don't know that, but his guitarist cameos as a construction worker that Pinker possesses :nod:

MacBlayne 25th October 2015 10:14 AM

Corridors of Blood was surprising. With the cast (Boris Karloff and Christopher Lee as Resurrection Joe), I was expecting some grisly Burke & Hare type film, where Lee would kidnap homeless people for Karloff's mad surgeon to operate on.

But no, it's actually a tragic drama. Karloff plays a 19th century surgeon called Thomas Bolton, who is trying to create an anesthetic for his patients. He does this by experimenting different gasses on himself. Sadly, as he gets closer to cracking the formula, he becomes addicted to the chemicals and his mind starts to fade. Soon, he finds himself embroiled in Burke & Hare style shenanigans in a desperate attempt to fund his research and addiction.

What impressed me about Corridors of Blood is that although it has a plot that would have made old Ronnie Reagan proud, it never looks down on Bolton. In fact, the film applauds Bolton by the end - as his goal was a noble one.

I watched The Knick a short while back and it was interesting to notice the similarity between the two. Both Karloff's Bolton and Clive Owen's John Thackery are brilliant surgeons, always trying to their best for the patient. Both invent new methods to try and cure their patients. Both end up resorting to chemical assistance to help them through the day. Only difference is that while Bolton is a genuinely lovely man who falls into depravity, whereas Thackery is massive bastard to begin with.

MacBlayne 25th October 2015 10:46 AM

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...showPoster.jpg

Needless to say, this is a barrel of laughs. This is perfect Halloween viewing. Has the perfect balance of scares and laughs.

Funniest moment: Adrienne Barbeau's hilariously trashy wife.

Scariest moment: Leslie Nielson's jealous husband was surprisingly disturbing and made for somewhat uncomfortable viewing.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 25th October 2015 05:49 PM

This evening I shall be going ape:

http://oblivion.a.ltrbxd.com/resized...g?k=33a2e129f1

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th October 2015 06:36 PM

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th October 2015 06:38 PM

There's no reason for the above post other than i like it!

trebor8273 25th October 2015 06:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 171651

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th October 2015 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 465939)
This evening I shall be going ape:

Is the Inspector hacking user accounts again? :skull:

Rik 25th October 2015 07:48 PM

Nightmare Before Christmas: Rachel says it's a Christmas film, I say it's a Halloween film (as does director Henry Selick), what's everyone else's thoughts on this?

We watched it anyway, so technically, I won! :lol:

trebor8273 25th October 2015 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 465973)
Nightmare Before Christmas: Rachel says it's a Christmas film, I say it's a Halloween film (as does director Henry Selick), what's everyone else's thoughts on this?

It's both, it gets a viewing at Halloween and Christmas from me

Rik 25th October 2015 07:54 PM

Yeah, we'll be watching it again at Christmas too :nod:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th October 2015 08:02 PM

Quote:

It's both, so at least two viewings a year are justified.

trebor8273 25th October 2015 08:37 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Next viewing of the night, which will be the first time I've seen it

Attachment 171652
Attachment 171653
Attachment 171654

Demoncrat 26th October 2015 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 465979)
Next viewing of the night, which will be the first time I've seen it

Attachment 171652
Attachment 171653
Attachment 171654

How did you get on? I thought it looked more like one of the extra levels you get at the end of COD haha.

Justin101 26th October 2015 12:24 PM

Quote:

It's set at Halloween at the start so i'd say Halloween, but then it is Christmas at the end so I'd watch it then as well :lol:

I watched Hocus Pocus and The Hills Have Eyes for my marathon yesterday. I'm happy that I'm almost done with my 31 horror films in 31 days because i've watched some horrible grubby films and I think I need to spend the next 2 weeks watching Japanese new wave films from the 60s and 70s haha!!

Watching The Silence of the Lambs for my final film, probably on Thursday :)

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th October 2015 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 466051)
I'm happy that I'm almost done with my 31 horror films in 31 days because i've watched some horrible grubby films and I think I need to spend the next 2 weeks watching Japanese new wave films from the 60s and 70s haha!!

I tend to ignore horror, weekends aside, during November as i gear up for my December Christmas marathon.

Justin101 26th October 2015 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 466053)
I tend to ignore horror, weekends aside, during November as i gear up for my December Christmas marathon.

I just got the Shohei Imamura box set and the Herzog box set so that's easily a months worth of film watching for me! I'm going to plan my December viewing in advance I think, it'll definitley include Black Christmas and A Christmas Story.

Demoncrat 26th October 2015 12:38 PM

Watching Knock Knock or the rest of The Venture Brothers....:rolleyes:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 26th October 2015 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 466053)

I'm hoping to do a 'Noir-November' this year. :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th October 2015 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 466063)
I'm hoping to do a 'Noir-November' this year. :nod:

Noir-November. I like it.

:brainfood: I could do that. I have well over 31 noir films.

trebor8273 26th October 2015 05:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 171672