Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 31st October 2016 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadite (Post 510007)
Crimson Peak and Evil Dead II double bill just about to start. One newy and one all-time favourite. :hailwitch:

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 510009)
Hopefully you'll enjoy Crimson Peak, Deadite.

It has a lovely Gothic atmosphere to it.

I have seen it several times and it never ceases to impress.

trebor8273 31st October 2016 08:10 PM

Halloween. 10/10 nothing else to be said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZUwajlB-vc

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 31st October 2016 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 510012)
I'll hopefully watch it very soon when the US Blu-ray arrives from Amazon.com. (I really wanted it to watch for Halloween, but wanted the version with the commentary.)

You and your commentaries, Nos! :grim: :skull:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 31st October 2016 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 510015)
You and your commentaries, Nos! :grim: :skull:

Don't you ever listen to them to find out more about the film?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 31st October 2016 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 510016)
Don't you ever listen to them to find out more about the film?

No I don't - I can't remember the last time I listened to a commentary.

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st October 2016 09:33 PM

So many great things said about Crimson Peak. Really looking forward to watching this during December.

It was going to be my Xmas Eve film, however it's got competition from The Neon Demon now.

Actually, and i know i'm blowing my own trumpet here i think the majority of what i've got saved are all top notch films. :glitter:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 31st October 2016 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 510018)
No I don't - I can't remember the last time I listened to a commentary.

They always vary in quality but, if you get a good one, it can be fascinating and give you some remarkable insights into the film you have seen. The one on Crimson Peak, for example, is something I could listen to another couple of times because Guillermo Del Toro is such an effusive and illuminating speaker who gives a great deal of information about his films (and, in the case of The Strain, his TV show) – that one is well worth listening to.

I have been sent The Neon Demon by Lovefilm, so I'll watch it tomorrow evening.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 1st November 2016 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 510021)
They always vary in quality but, if you get a good one, it can be fascinating and give you some remarkable insights into the film you have seen. The one on Crimson Peak, for example, is something I could listen to another couple of times because Guillermo Del Toro is such an effusive and illuminating speaker who gives a great deal of information about his films (and, in the case of The Strain, his TV show) – that one is well worth listening to.

I've no doubt there are some superb commentaries out there (one of the best I've listened too was Ferrara's legendary Driller Killer comm teehee), however, for me, I think it's a mixture of having time (I'd rather be using the time watching an actual film than a yap track), not necessarily being interested in how the idea for such a scene or character came to fruition; whether it be based on the director's high-school gym teacher or the local mailman, plus partly also because I generally like to feel connected to a film on a personal and emotional level based on my own inferences and feelings rather than breaking it down into critique-able chunks and knowing for 100% why a director decided to shoot a scene in a specific way.

If there's anything specific I want to know about a film I tend to use the plentiful vastness of the world wide web to find out, or a book, but to be honest that rarely happens other than the odd "hey, I'm sure I've seen that actor before, I wonder what else they've been in" or "I love this score and need to find out who did it and whether I can buy it".

Different strokes and all that though.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 1st November 2016 07:19 AM

'Tis all over now and the ghouls and goblins have been satiated for another year. :skull:

Here's the full list of what I manged to watch this October.

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st November 2016 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 510026)
'Tis all over now and the ghouls and goblins have been satiated for another year. :skull:

Here's the full list of what I manged to watch this October.

I see you watched Prince of Darkness again. I too watched it on Sunday night.