Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

Nordicdusk 18th October 2023 04:36 PM

I love The Neon Demon and what a great soundtrack .

Demoncrat 18th October 2023 04:44 PM

I second this wholeheartedly. Hmmm. Time for a rewatch in fact .... :nod:

MrBarlow 18th October 2023 05:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Final Destination 3. 2006.

6 years after flight 180, another teen has a premonition of death this time on a roller coaster, when some of the teens leave the ride and it crashes, death comes back for them.

This one I always have a soft spot for, the kills during the premonition are a little bit brutal but not overaly OTT, yeah one dufus really needed a kick, or a punch, maybe even both for a being jackass and two BFF's that 'totally' need to change their talkative language.

This as atmospheric and stylish as its previous two films. The music has a haunting eeriness and James Wong does a more than competent job in the director's chair, showing a genuine understanding of the concept and the horror genre, breathing atmosphere, fun and freshness into a tried and tested formula and not losing what made his direction work in the first film. In between the death scenes there is a bit too much talky talky and some doubters do get their fill of seeing death happening. Tony Todd doesn't appear in this but lends his voice for the Devil of the roller coaster and the train driver towards the end that makes the finale a bit more of, oh crap something is about to go down.

Attachment 248400

Nordicdusk 18th October 2023 06:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
30 Days of Unseen Horror

Day 17

Attachment 248401

Five people are invited to spend the night in a castle thinking that one of them will inherit the place and all its riches. They don't.

I appreciate the fact they tried to make this 2009 film look like an old universal monsters film from the 1930 but apart from filming it in black and white it fails to feel like one of the classics. The acting is horrendous they are trying to so hard to act like people from the 30s but they don't come close I felt insulted watching it :lol:

The make up looks good on the monsters but the ending they just pointlessly shoe horn in a few well know monsters but I just didn't understand it at all and they just look like people in costumes just strolling around which no amount of good make up can cover up just a failure.

Appreciate the idea but not the excecution.

Avoid

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th October 2023 06:23 PM

October 17th

1 Attachment(s)
Scars of Dracula (1970)

Despite it's numerous flaws, including that highly improbable ending for Dracula, Scars of Dracula is actually a really entertaining film. Totally out of sync with any of the other Hammer Dracula films but it really doesn't matter. Scars is the Dracula film you go to when you want just that. A film with plenty of Dracula scenes, lots of grizzly gore, some gorgeous gals and a couple of likable heroes in Dennis Waterman and Christopher Mathews.

Demoncrat 18th October 2023 10:30 PM

Ghost Nursing (1982, Wilson Tong)

HK madness.
A young woman travels to Thailand to visit her sister.
Meeting up at a club, she is introduced to a local lothario (IE rapist) and her night ends badly.
When sis suggests she consult a local "seer" to try end the "bad luck" she is experiencing, his method has initial success, but after meeting a new beau, she lets things slip .... it doth not end well, no siree :lol::nono:
They do not make 'em like this anymore, more's the pity.
90 minutes and all. :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th October 2023 10:40 PM

October 17th (2)

1 Attachment(s)
The Entity (1982)

A cracking supernatural thriller that seems to go under many radars nowadays. Based on the case of a real woman from Los Angeles who was attacked in her home by an invisible presence and raped multiple times across many months.

Barbara Hershey is terrific in what was a hugely challenging and demanding role as she's repeatedly sexually assaulted in various forms whilst basically creating and performing the sequences by herself. All of which are scary as hell with the attacks happening as a speaker shattering drum riff pounds round the room. Not once are the scenes exploitative or titillating but genuinely disturbing as the viewer feels they are part of the assault.

Away from the horror aspect this also takes into account the arguments of believers vs non-believers in the supernatural, science and psychology vs ESP. Much of the focus is on characters, dialogue and escalating tension as director Sydney J Furie creates and sustains an atmosphere of terror from the opening scenes and his refusal to not show the 'entity' of the title in any detail helps maintain this aura of utter unease.

The Entity is genuinely gripping from first to last with it's fear of the unknown, they really don't make supernatural movies like this anymore.

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th October 2023 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 692024)
Ghost Nursing (1982, Wilson Tong)

They do not make 'em like this anymore, more's the pity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 692025)
The Entity (1982)

The Entity is genuinely gripping from first to last with it's fear of the unknown, they really don't make supernatural movies like this anymore.

Haha! SNAP! Must be an early eighties thing.

MrBarlow 18th October 2023 11:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Nun II. 2023.

Taissa Farmiga returns as the young Sister Irene who is sent to investigate the deaths of priests and nuns and comes face to face with Valek again.

The first film took me a few watches to really enjoy it and was hesitant about this one. This certainly has a dark toned gothic theme and atmosphere around it and does rely a lot on jump scares, the plot is actually not bad. After the ending of the first film with the Warren's explaining about the possession of Maurice, who appears in this one aswell and this goes in one direction then switches and goes into a different direction, nice little curve ball. This one has to be watched in the dark as there could be strain on the eyes with one or two blink and miss moments.

Attachment 248404

Nordicdusk 19th October 2023 08:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
30 Days of Unseen Horror

Day 18

Attachment 248405

A doctor working in an insane asylum is left the entire estate of a patient he cared for after he does but things won't go so smoothly with rumours of how the previous owners family died hauntings and a lost fortune that many of the locals are mad to get their hands on . Which will get them first greed or the spirits of the dead ?

Dark Places is a great film full of intrigue and suspense it also boasts a fantastic cast which all do an amazing job. Usually when Christopher Lee is onboard he steals the show unless Peter Cushing is around of course but here it's Joan Collins she is absolutely stunningly beautiful here and you can't take your eyes off her. She plays that bitchy sultry role so so well. The house looks amazing inside once it's restored to its former glory which is a great setting for some ghostly shenanigans.

One of my favourite scenes was when the doctor is staying in another house across a few fields and he notices the lights coming on in the child's old playroom it's just a fantastic scene with the fogg and the eerie house standing proud through the murky night.

Enjoyed this one alot and who doesn't love the creepy voices of dead children playing up stairs in a creepy house :lol:

MuckyFunster 19th October 2023 09:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
18. The Outwaters

Rakuten. First time watch.

What did God do after he created alternating periods of light and darkness? He called it a day! (Ba dum - tiss).

Well, in the case of these filmmakers they called it ‘The Outwaters’. This found footage film starts out with a noisy incoherent call full of screaming to a 911 operator who’s pleasing to be told what is going on. In the background there are photographs of our characters with notes saying ‘not seen since 08/08/2017’. Notes on the screen then explain that all the footage to follow was found on memory cards. Sound effects then play (which sounds more like a cassette tape being loaded rather than an SD card being slotted in but whatever), and the film begins.

We meet some creative young people who are going out to the Mojave desert to film a music video. They’re seen smoking weed, coke is mentioned, and one of them makes a comment that if you take acid it is stored in your spinal fluid and if you’re then in an accident or something the release of this stores acid can cause a flashback. They’re all seen drinking some booze out of a round bottle with a floral pattern which I’m thinking was maybe supposed to resemble a peyote button or something, hinting to me that they’ve all now taken acid so might be at risk of a flashback. They then set out to the desert…

What follows is a lot of shoogly camera work and mad sound effects. A lot of it takes place in the pitch darkness with the only visible parts of the screen being a small circle of light from a flashlight which flys madly around the screen. It’s hard not to compare this to some recent ‘noise and vision’ type of film like “Skinamarink”, but this is almost trying to make some hybrid with “Blair Witch Project”.

If I’m watching a film alone I tend to watch it in the dark with headphones on. The shots of complete darkness to brilliant light had me frequently blinking or closing my eyes until my pupils adjusted and the mad sudden sound effects had me fidgeting with the headphone volume.

I’m not sure if I enjoyed this one, but I keep mulling it over so it’s definitely left an impression.

Attachment 248406

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave Boy 19th October 2023 02:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 248414
CARRIE (1976)

This movie was on my Halloween list anyway, but the passing of Piper Laurie jumped up the list.
This movie is so bloody good. Everything about this movie from casting to music is spot on.
No matter how many times I have seen this movie, you can't help but be moved by Pino Donaggio's score as Carrie, so happy as Prom Queen makes her way to the stage.
Piper Laurie as Carrie's mother.. well what a performance.

:first:

Frankie Teardrop 19th October 2023 02:37 PM

PIGGY – Central to Carlota Pereda’s ‘Piggy’ is the unlikely connection between Sara, a girl who is teased because she’s overweight, and an unidentified drifter with murderous intentions. It’s set in a small Spanish village, where Sara is an object of derision, most obviously at the hands of her bitchy peers, but also her own family. When she decides to ignore her tormentors and go for a swim in the local pool, she stumbles across a murder scene that gets even more complicated when her teenage foes swarm in and start to harass her. They didn’t notice that white van and its shifty occupant… There’s a vague sense that ‘Piggy’ wrongfoots the viewer a little by appearing to set itself up as an exploitation romp, because before long it seems obvious that its heart is set on more contemplative matters. It ups the grime at little during its slaughterhouse-based final leg, but for most part ‘Piggy’ is more concerned with the fall-out from its opening kill and the disappearance of Sara’s bullies. There’s something really interesting about the link between Sara and the killer, who positions himself as a saviour-like character, almost to the point of personifying Sara’s vengeful feelings towards the world that abuses and shuns; it leaves us asking whether we’re seeing two people united by trauma and taking some kind of empathic solace in each other, or whether it’s a case of one person adopting another’s cause for their own sick ends. I might’ve appreciated more exploration of those themes, but ‘Piggy’ impresses on many levels, from the photography that captures the sinister stillness of sun parched days (I loved the bit in the pool where we see the killer’s head silhouetted against blinding sun and sparkling waters), to some of the dramatic scenes, where the humiliation meted out by the more truly pig-headed feels so much harsher than any of the graphic violence. Worth checking out.

MrBarlow 19th October 2023 02:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Blood Vessel. 2019.

A group of survivors in WWII adrift come across a Nazi vessel and board it unaware of what is lurking below deck.

Taking it slow for the first part of the survivors searching of the ship and quest to uncover why a ship such as the one they find themselves on is lacking any crew. The first viewing of the boat is something that you wouldn't even board and has the same tone of atmosphere as the 1980 film Death Ship. Then we get the bird's eye view of the boat and the swatstika and you know the castaways are in for a rough voyage.

This has plenty going for it, is the fact that its maker knows and loves practical special effects. Though a low budget feature and playing out as such, among a little confusing action scenes there are mildly satisfying 80's kind of gore and make-up galore. You do get a dread of atmosphere, claustrophobia and a oddball of different characters that can easily turn on each other and certainly places to run but can't easily hide. A fun entertaining movie.

Attachment 248416

Demoncrat 19th October 2023 06:12 PM

A Monstrous Corpse (1980)

Korean version of The Living Dead At The Manchester Morgue :nod:
An oddity all right :laugh:
The cops are ... somewhat keen on solving this particular case :lol:
I had to, didn't I? VS need to put this one out cough. :behindsofa:

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th October 2023 06:20 PM

October 18th

1 Attachment(s)
The Witch (2015)

Robert Egger's modern masterpiece of 17th century lore. It's performed with brilliant and authentic use of olde-English language and terrific sound design as well as natural light throughout with the buildings lit inside only by candles. There's also an often lingering camera technique and these aspects all come together to create the most unnerving, bordering on genuinely frightening, horror film of the 21st century.

Eight years in a row now for this film and i'm still discovering new marvels in it's chilling clutches. I'm surprised that it still holds what feels like a malevolent eerie power over me during it's entire second half. Last night it dawned on me how deliciously creepy the two youngest children, Jonas and Mercy, actually are. The way they run round the farm chanting satanic verse is genuinely weird and something their puritanical parents never seem to notice. Scary little f*ckers.

J Harker 19th October 2023 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 692030)
30 Days of Unseen Horror

Day 18

Attachment 248405

A doctor working in an insane asylum is left the entire estate of a patient he cared for after he does but things won't go so smoothly with rumours of how the previous owners family died hauntings and a lost fortune that many of the locals are mad to get their hands on . Which will get them first greed or the spirits of the dead ?

Dark Places is a great film full of intrigue and suspense it also boasts a fantastic cast which all do an amazing job. Usually when Christopher Lee is onboard he steals the show unless Peter Cushing is around of course but here it's Joan Collins she is absolutely stunningly beautiful here and you can't take your eyes off her. She plays that bitchy sultry role so so well. The house looks amazing inside once it's restored to its former glory which is a great setting for some ghostly shenanigans.

One of my favourite scenes was when the doctor is staying in another house across a few fields and he notices the lights coming on in the child's old playroom it's just a fantastic scene with the fogg and the eerie house standing proud through the murky night.

Enjoyed this one alot and who doesn't love the creepy voices of dead children playing up stairs in a creepy house [emoji38]

Sold Sir. Thoroughly sold!

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th October 2023 09:54 PM

October 18th (2)

1 Attachment(s)
The Devil Rides Out (1968)

Not simply the best Occult film bar none for me. Based on Dennis Wheatley's best selling novel, The Devil Rides Out is one of the best British horror films of all time.

On closer inspection The Devil Rides Out is possibly more akin to a period James Bond film than it is to a typical Hammer Gothic horror melodrama. Terence Fisher directs with consummate ease as the story positively zips along under the spell of James Bernard's terrific looming and booming score powering various action sequences along the way. Christopher Lee makes Wheatley's Duc de Richleau character his own with a performance of power and heroism. In fact the whole cast, from Charles Gray's devilish Mocata to Sarah Lawson's seemingly put upon wife who wins through in the end, are uniformly excellent.

The film sports set pieces to kill for and images that have gone down through the generations as classics of horror, from the magnificent Angel of Death to the pièce de résistance, which comes half way through the film as we witness at a terrifying Occult ceremony the Goat of Mendes, (Baphomet), the Devil himself, take form and watch over proceedings. It's a stunning piece of cinema and my favourite version of the Devil put on film to date.

Demoncrat 19th October 2023 09:55 PM

Hell Has No Boundary (1982, Chuan Yang)

More HK, possession caper.

Lawdy. A young police officer finds more than she bargained for during an investigation. And how. This one needs the upgrade, as tis just what the demon ordered :nod:
You think you've got the gist of it, but the last 30 minutes are just that special brand of lunacy that they specialized in. :nod:

MuckyFunster 20th October 2023 01:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
19. Sea Fever

Disney+ - first time watch.

This Irish film stars Dougray Scott as Gerard, the skipper of a fishing trawler on board which a PhD student takes a trip to study deep sea faunal behaviour patterns. Gerard receives a warning from the coast guard that he is due to sail through an exclusion zone owing to the presence of whales. Gerard ignores this warning as his sonar equipment tells him there is a big shoal of fish in the exclusion zone and he is in desperate need of the money a successful catch will bring him and his crew. Once in the exclusion zone the boat is attacked by what they believe is possibly a giant squid. The PhD student suspects otherwise and quickly realises that the crew are all at risk of an unknown parasite.

I really enjoyed this movie. Consider it something like “The Thing”, but onboard a boat. This is the film I wish “The Abyss” would have been. Exciting and scary. Great performances from all the cast.
Attachment 248441

20. Killer under the bed

A high school age girl moving to a new town following the death of her father immediately has problems with bullies at the new school, on top of the family stresses. She find a voodoo doll in the shed, left by the previous homeowner. Initially sceptical she vents some anger by testing the dolls powers, and once she realises it actually works, the power goes to her head and she’s dishing out curses trying to help her own situation and that of her family members. As the story goes - you don’t always get what you wish for and eventually she’s trying to backtrack it all out.

Stupid lightweight film with a distinctly ‘made for tv’ feel, complete with hammy performances from all the cast and those sudden breaks in the music at exactly the point where an advert break would usually be. The doll doesn’t ever actually kill anyone either, so it’s not really a ‘killer’ under her bed.

Nevertheless I did enjoy it, and couldn’t help but think that if the film had been made in 1988 instead of 2018 Arrow would probably release it in a special edition and we’d all go daft for it.
Attachment 248442

Frankie Teardrop 20th October 2023 03:07 PM

PONTYPOOL – Taking Romero out of the equation, films starring massive hordes of zombies have always been a bit of a yawn in my book – I vastly prefer the Fulci approach ie keep ‘em maggot-faced and in the shadows. But all that post-’28 Days Later’ shite and the mark it’s left on the genre, you can throw it in the trash for all I care. Most of the time. On the other hand, I’m always up for people messing with the template a little bit, which brings me to late noughties Canadian indie ‘Pontypool’ and its host of interesting diversions. It’s set entirely within an isolated radio station just as the local population erupts in a ‘The Crazies’ inspired flurry of viral mayhem, leaving us alone in the presence of grizzled DJ Grant Mazzy (Stephen McHattie) and his producer Sydney (Lisa Houle), who have no choice but to barricade themselves in and report on the chaos as it unfolds. What follows is an exercise in tense minimalism that allows us to grasp the surrounding horror only through the same route as its characters, via a series of increasingly panicked reports from the ground. It reminded me a little of an episode of Nigel Kneale’s seventies ITV series ‘Beasts’ called ‘During Barty’s Party’, where an irritating bourgeois couple are left high and dry in their suburban home by a swarm of rats and find that their only lifeline is the radio DJ – ‘Pontypool’ replicates the same mixture of talky claustrophobia, brewing madness closing in from the outside, and radio report hysteria, and funnily enough I got a similar arcane broadcast vibe from my recent viewing of ‘Ghostwatch’. But the more interesting thing about ‘Pontypool’ is its central conceit about how the mystery epidemic contaminates and spreads. Its victims babble excessively rather than munch flesh, and it turns out that it’s through language itself that the infection transmits, an idea that seems at least a little bit indebted to William Burroughs (though I remember reading an interview with author Tony Burgess, on whose ‘Pontypool’ trilogy the film is based, and he seemed to deny any direct inspiration). There are a couple of stumbles (I didn’t really like some of the humour that creeps in later on, apart from one laugh out loud moment when the producer recalls a colleague who’s just died), but overall ‘Pontypool’ is an absorbing and sometimes riveting demonstration of barebones horror, one that drives home high concept chills using little more than a single set and that ultimate instrument of fear, the human voice.

Nordicdusk 20th October 2023 04:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
30 Days of Unseen Horror

Day 19

Attachment 248445

After pulling of a heist and bagging 3.5 million dollars the gang hijack a small aircraft owned by a father and his daughter. Forced to fly to Mexico one of the gang decides to double cross his friends and he bails out of the plane with the loot landing in a creepy graveyard surrounded by Scarecrows. Now it's crook vervus crook verses scarecrow.

Scarecrows is a really great idea and a great setting a little creepy abandoned farm house next to a graveyard loved it. The scarecrows have a great look to them if you bumped into one in broad daylight you would be creeped out let alone in the middle of the night. The gore effects are pretty cool especially the skinless face guy with the night goggles I loved that one.

The acting is ok but it's really let down my the horrendous dialogue this place is haunted by a demonic deamon and the guy banging one about his harmonica randomly in the middle of a high tension situation :lol:

Not great not terrible and it's nice to see Bonnie Tyler try her hand at horror :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th October 2023 09:45 PM

October 19th

1 Attachment(s)
Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982)

I don't think i can recall a horror film with a more ludicrous plot than this Michael Myers free installment of the Halloween franchise.

The central theme of stealing one of the Stonehenge standing stones, transporting it to the states then placing fragments of it in millions of Halloween masks so a nefarious corporation can kill millions of mask wearers, thanks to a trigger from a tv commercial, and act as a huge mass sacrifice to bring back an era of witchcraft is utterly ludicrous.

Halloween III is the John Carpenter film he didn't make yet his influence is all over it. The score half inches most of his other works and the plot has echoes of They Live, a full six years before its release, as star Tom Atkins creeps around in a world of paranoia and deceit, slowly being driven round the bend by the Silver Shamrock song which seemingly plagues every tv channel in the US.

Still, it's all bloody good fun.

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th October 2023 10:17 PM

October 19th (2)

1 Attachment(s)
The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll (1961)

Hammer takes the overused Stephenson tale of Jekyll and Hyde and gives it a twist. Instead of a good looking doctor turning into a beastly brute this has a bearded scholar fella becoming a dashing playboy who falls for London's party girls aided by a lecherous Christopher Lee.

The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll is fairly forgettable after the fact yet whilst watching it is rather enjoyable. Both Christopher Lee and Canadian born actor Paul Massie are miscast in as much as you'd think their roles would be reversed but they too also work with Lee the charming rogue especially good fun. Dawn Adams as Jekyll's wife is at the heart of the story with the affair she has with Lee the catalyst to Massie's experimentations.

In truth there's probably not as much horror here as in the majority of Hammer Gothic thrillers but it's all so beautifully crafted with director Terence Fisher giving it an air of class.

Indicator's Blu-ray looks gorgeous with colours popping out of the screen.

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th October 2023 10:19 PM

With the weather being dark and stormy i think there will be a change to what i'd planned this night with a trip taken to James Whale's Old Dark House instead.

J Harker 20th October 2023 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 692093)
Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982)

I don't think i can recall a horror film with a more ludicrous plot than this Michael Myers free installment of the Halloween franchise.

The central theme of stealing one of the Stonehenge standing stones, transporting it to the states then placing fragments of it in millions of Halloween masks so a nefarious corporation can kill millions of mask wearers, thanks to a trigger from a tv commercial, and act as a huge mass sacrifice to bring back an era of witchcraft is utterly ludicrous.

Halloween III is the John Carpenter film he didn't make yet his influence is all over it. The score half inches most of his other works and the plot has echoes of They Live, a full six years before its release, as star Tom Atkins creeps around in a world of paranoia and deceit, slowly being driven round the bend by the Silver Shamrock song which seemingly plagues every tv channel in the US.

Still, it's all bloody good fun.

I watched this one Wednesday night. I really need to catch up on my reviews.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

MrBarlow 21st October 2023 09:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Shrooms. 2007.

A group of American students arrive in Ireland for a weekend of taking magic mushrooms and slowly being picked off by a killer.

This I have only seen twice now and still not sure what to make of it. Yeah it's something that deals with magic mushrooms and hallucinations and generally having a good trip on them. The teens are basically your usual students willing to try anything in a area that a backstory of a local legend that becomes a more foccused on the story. The kills are nothing new we have seen with a serial killer. The twist at the end was expected but never really goes anywhere or even explained on why the person went a bit loopy or was it a very psychotic episode to a bad trip. No doubt this will be watched a third time.

Attachment 248451

Nordicdusk 21st October 2023 09:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
30 Days of Unseen Horror

Day 20

Attachment 248450

After receiving the news that he has only months to live John Kramer is left devasted and desperate but when he bumps into a man he met at a cancer support group who has gone from stage 4 terminal cancer to cancer free after an experimental surgery cured him John see light at the end of the tunnel. Travelling to Mexico to a hidden remote area John's surgery is a success but he discovers the whole thing is a scam to rob dying people of their money. John's revenge will be bloody and brutal but there will be a chance to redeem themselves all they have to do is play a little game.

Saw X bridges the gap between Saw and Saw II giving a little more depth to John's character and it takes the opportunity to explore his human side. There is some small heartwarming moments seeing him connect with a couple of people well he tries to anyway some exploit his kindness but there is some that are too pure to deceive an old kind man showing us that although rare and hard to find there is some good still left out there.

But what Saw is known for is gore and games and Saw X doesn't disappoint. The gore looks great and feels horrible and once again your sitting there thinking what would you do is it better to face death usually quickly or mutilate yourself in hopes to survive but there is also the question would it be even worth living you may be physically alive but mentally your not coming back.

There are a few glaring mistakes that were inconsistent with things that were said earlier in the film and later contradicted these moments didn't spoil my enjoyment of the film I'm just pointing out that they are there.

Overall a great entry in the series.

Nordicdusk 21st October 2023 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 692099)
Shrooms. 2007.

A group of American students arrive in Ireland for a weekend of taking magic mushrooms and slowly being picked off by a killer.

This I have only seen twice now and still not sure what to make of it. Yeah it's something that deals with magic mushrooms and hallucinations and generally having a good trip on them. The teens are basically your usual students willing to try anything in a area that a backstory of a local legend that becomes a more foccused on the story. The kills are nothing new we have seen with a serial killer. The twist at the end was expected but never really goes anywhere or even explained on why the person went a bit loopy or was it a very psychotic episode to a bad trip. No doubt this will be watched a third time.

Attachment 248451

I find it hard watching films set in Ireland because we are usually depicted a stupid imbred fools I mean we are that but I don't want everyone else to know :lol:

MrBarlow 21st October 2023 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 692101)
I find it hard watching films set in Ireland because we are usually depicted a stupid imbred fools I mean we are that but I don't want everyone else to know :lol:

Just like us Scots :lol:

Nordicdusk 21st October 2023 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 692102)

Brothers in webbed fingered arms :lol:

Frankie Teardrop 21st October 2023 11:09 AM

THE GRUESOME TWOSOME – Random little things help me decide whether I’m going to like a film or not. In the case of ‘The Gruesome Twosome’, the placement of a stuffed pink poodle next to a radio announcing the latest co-ed murders tells me all I need to know. “But The Gruesome Twosome has so much more to offer, why stop there?” I ask myself. And true enough, practically every moment of TGT screams cinematic dysfunction and a breathtaking dedication to getting it all so completely wrong it could never not be right. This is a film where a bunch of girls in the same frilly bedroom as the pink poodle suddenly start grooving to sixties pop whilst chomping on chicken drumsticks. From his bucket on the bed, The Colonel letches at them like a dubious uncle; I’ve never seen more inspiring product placement. That’s just the tip of the iceberg. In TGT, all human interaction is about as meaningful as deranged wigmaker Mrs Pringle ‘s conversations with her stuffed Bobcat (and pink poodle competitor) Napolean, or the grunts of gurning scalp ripper Rodney. It is a film whose majestic incompetence spins out into beach scenes that so disregard the fact they’re supposed to be in a movie that they practically turn to verité, into scenes that take what seems like minutes to depict someone casually opening a door, and the very pinnacle of all this, into scenes of amateur sleuthing that are utterly devoid of tension because, come on HG, you’ve already f*cking told us who the killers are! It’s genius. Imagine someone trying to do all that now? Either they wouldn’t know how, or possibly a higher authority would intervene. The juice that oils the Lewis machine is present and correct i.e., makeshift gore of the lowest quality; the splatter is not only inept but completely divorced from any narrative tension, meaning that all the offal and strawberry jam ends up looking exactly like what it is – a bad prop in a movie where no-one gives a shit. It’s still more convincing than the acting, however. All of that matters, because it’s part of what makes HG Lewis flicks genuinely magical. It’s not everything, though. I just said that ‘The Gruesome Twosome’ is a movie where no-one gives a shit, but that’s not really true. It’s not the insane badness that elevates ‘The Gruesome Twosome’ and so many of Lewis’s other flicks to a higher plane, it’s the sheer imagination and generosity of spirit, present to a degree far more pronounced than in most other genre flicks from the late sixties. I mean it. What about the curtain raiser, a conversation between two hair pieces mounted on childishly made-up dummy heads? You didn’t get that in Rosemary’s bloody Baby. TGT is a wigged-out delight that will never win friends on the grounds of good taste or good anything, but, if you happen to be Hershell Gordon Lewis flick, sometimes it’s better to have enemies. Right, Napolean?

Nordicdusk 21st October 2023 11:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
30 Days of Unseen Horror

Day 21

Attachment 248452

Electronics engineer Mitch MacAfee while on a routine aircraft exercise spots a UFO what he can only describes as like a flying battleship. Mitch calls it in and the airforce scramble jets to intercept the craft but they are left chasing their tails when it disappears into thin air and with no radar showing the craft Mitch is accused of carrying off some stupid joke. After a few more incidents the UFO is identified as a giant Bird like creature and it's a race against time before it changes its focus from the odd aircraft to the rest of humanity.

I was doing some reading up about this and after watching it for myself I feel pretty bad for the cast :lol:. The story goes that the cast never saw the monster until the night of the premier. They were promised by the director that the monster would be terrifying but once the monster came on the screen some of the cast snuck out of the cinema in pure embarrassment :lol:

I found it to be a fun film but the head on the bird monster is bloody terrible the idea is great with the antimatter force field and working a way to kill the creature and who doesn't love a giant monster destroying a city and famous landmarks but you can't get over that stupid head it's like a creature from Fraggle Rock of a love interest for Big Bird in Sesame Street :lol:

Guns cannons rocket's
Guns cannons rocket's
Guns cannons rocket's
For the love of god
GUNS CANNONS ROCKETS :pound:

Susan Foreman 21st October 2023 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 692101)

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 692103)
Brothers in webbed fingered arms :lol:

As someone who genuinely has conjoined toes, I stand with my Irish and Scottish brothers here... in a matter of speaking!

Nordicdusk 21st October 2023 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 692106)
As someone who genuinely has conjoined toes, I stand with my Irish and Scottish brothers here... in a matter of speaking!

:pound:

MuckyFunster 21st October 2023 01:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
21. Matriarch (2022)

Laura (Jemima Birch) is an advert designer with an alcohol issue, seen with vodka in her water bottle. She’s on edge all the time, battling with her own issues while trying to be civil to her colleagues who are somewhat overbearing, obviously worried about her. She receives a call out of the blue from her estranged mother who she hasn’t seen for 20 years and who she has told her colleagues was dead. This kicks Laura off and she ends up having a cocaine overdose only to be saved by some mysterious black slime. Laura relents and makes contact with her mother, Celia (Kate Dickie). She accepts the olive branch and returns to her childhood home, where she discovers that no one has aged as would be expected and all is not as it seems…

The whole build up to the finale has a sinister feel and is really intriguing. Kate dickie is great in this “Hot Fuzz” meets “The Wicker Man” movie. 51 year old Dickie plays the matriarch, who would be expected to be around 80 years old. Her overly caring character is obviously trying hard to elicit sympathy and forgiveness from her reluctant daughter.

Attachment 248453

Demoncrat 21st October 2023 02:32 PM

Quote:

Ken fit like min ;).

MrBarlow 21st October 2023 02:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Spontaneous Combustion. 1990.

Director Tobe Hooper teams up with Brad Dourif for this late 80s horror that Dourif said in a interview that he was unhappy with the final version due to studio and producers interference.

The film starts off in Nevada 1955 nuclear testing with a couple who survive the blast and have a child, both parents burst into flames. Their son David now adopting the name Sam has been passed on something by his parents and monitored by those around him.

This could have had potential to be a great horror with one or two curve balls thrown into it with a nuclear test in the 50s organised by someone and then 30 odd years later same person building a nuclear power station and drawing in a good connection, but the acting is a let down. Dourif is always exceptional along with Jon Cyphers but the other cast members seem to have a problem with their dialogue. The effects for the film seem to be good but not great or mind blowing and a good bit of make up used for a hole in a arm. This is one of those good but not so good films.

Attachment 248456

Demoncrat 21st October 2023 06:08 PM

I'm 15 minutes into this Last Voyage Of The Demeter. Hmmm.

Review to follow. :pop2:

After that .... Death Metal Zombies :nod::rockon:

Demoncrat 21st October 2023 09:00 PM

The Last Voyage Of The Demeter (Andre Ovredal)

It looks nice, I'll give it that. I approved of the design of a certain passenger, though some may see echoes of another film cough.
Some of it ground my gears somewhat, but I don't have to watch it again do I? :rolleyes::lol: