Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

trebor8273 13th October 2017 08:53 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtFsIQsFY04

A crippled man takes revenge on those have wronged him and his friends, by becoming the oily maniac which looks like a giant shit man. A little on the dull side and really not as violent or gory as I thought it would be , with being an 18, plenty of boobies on display. 5/10

Hoping bloody valentine might be wore interesting which it might be from the first ten minutes.

Antropophagus 14th October 2017 09:23 AM

Day 8 - Hell of the Living Dead
Day 9 - The Hidden
Day 10 - The Company of Wolves
Day 11 - Demons
Day 12 - 976-EVIL
Day 13 - The Beyond

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th October 2017 02:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
October 13th

Jason Lives: Friday the 13th Part VI (1986)

The most entertaining film in the long running series in which not a single scene is wasted. The story begins straight from the off with Jason's resurrection and it never slows until the closing credits as the corpses build up throughout as the masked killer makes his way back to Camp Crystal Lake with inventive maniacal flair.

Thom Matthews and Jennifer Cooke make for an appealing double act you can get behind, (in fact Cooke has more than a passing resemblance to Ellie Cornell from Halloween 4 & 5) rather than the usual disposable teens films of this ilk throw at you.

Dracula (1979)

Director John Badham's take on the classic Bram Stoker story is perhaps more romantic than usual as a seemingly fangless Frank Langella charms his way across the screen. Coming across more Lestat than Dracula, Langella in truth is miscast yet he manages to easily steal many of the scenes he's in especially with Laurence Olivier's Van Helsing, who also appears to be miscast. The mighty Donald Pleasence has a large role in this, although his Dr. Seward isn't a million miles away from his trademark Dr. Loomis in the Halloween series of films. Look out for Sylvester McCoy as well, playing Seward's general dogsbody.

Despite these seemingly damaging flaws in the casting, Dracula is still a good film. It looks terrific and has Gothic atmosphere in spades, and is beautifully photographed, there truly isn't a dull scene to be ahem' scene and whilst it isn't as gory as some of the best vampire films there's still some delightful throat ripping and stakings galore as well as some frightening imagery such as the dead Mina Van Helsing (?) coming on to her unwilling father in her tomb. Isn't it odd how the various Dracula films play mix and match with character names and scenarios?

I was a bit apprehensive as i settled down to watch this, almost fearing the worst, but i actually really enjoyed it.

trebor8273 14th October 2017 04:51 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Rt_1JSWKuY

enjoyable if not little predictable slasher sets ten years after tragic events of a mine accident and a killing spree by the surviving miner. gory and fast paced with some gruesome kills . i do remember the original being boring, which this is not, but it is years since i saw it. 7.5/10

trebor8273 14th October 2017 06:06 PM

Tonight's first viewing, alien covenant.

Inspector Abberline 14th October 2017 07:25 PM

The Legend of Hell House (1973)

1 Attachment(s)
The Legend of Hell House (1973)

The Legend Of Hell House has pretty much everything you come to expect from a haunted house flick,(well its a bloody great mansion really) we get ectoplasm ,women swearing in possessed voices,cats going postal and Roddy McDowell going all bug eyed whenever he gets goose bumps.All that is missing is a suit of Armour standing in the corner coming to life and accidentally nearly lobbing someones head of with an axe.And as for the interior sets,well the set designer went a little overboard with the cobwebs as it resembles the streets from the film Kingdom of The Spiders.Overall John Hough steadily builds the tension with some ear piercing sound effects some truly jarring camera work and an atmosphere so oppressive and doom laden it resembles the night Theresa May got re-elected.The estate agents may want to over look the fact that this property seems to be cloaked in fog 24/7. A minor masterpiece...:ghostclap:

trebor8273 14th October 2017 08:53 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0VW6sg50Pk

An enjoyable but flawed entry in the alien franchise taking place ten years after the events of Prometheus, colony ship Covenant takes damage and the crew awakens to fix the ship and detect a signal coming from what appears to be a human being where there should be none, they decided to investigate, but this is the beginning of their problem's. For me this feels like an alien movie, unlike Prometheus. I can see how and why people didn't like how Scott handles the "birth" of the xenomorph we know and love, but I did find the character of David to be fascinating and chilling and credit must go to Fassbender in his duel roles as the caring Walter and unhinged David, while not as good as the first two films I rank it up there with alien 3 , which also wasn't well received. 7.5/10

Tonight's other viewings

House on sorority row
Evil Dead ( remake/reboot)

Justin101 14th October 2017 09:57 PM

Trying to get back on track and watched two films this evening. First up the ‘Style over Substance’ neo-giallo Francesca, which unfortunately was more exciting to look at than actually enjoy. Clearly taking it’s cue from Argento, this film managed to squeeze in every trope available in the genre. After a good opening scene and promising theme tune it quickly turned tedious and the jokey our of sync dubbing was more annoying than anything else.
I followed that up with Blake Lively vs Shark survival horror The Shallows which I had low expectations for but actually really enjoyed! Very tense scenes in the water with the shark and nicely satisfying ending. Worth watching. I won’t be swimming in the sea again though haha.

trebor8273 14th October 2017 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 554448)
Trying to get back on track and watched two films this evening. First up the ‘Style over Substance’ neo-giallo Francesca, which unfortunately was more exciting to look at than actually enjoy. Clearly taking it’s cue from Argento, this film managed to squeeze in every trope available in the genre. After a good opening scene and promising theme tune it quickly turned tedious and the jokey our of sync dubbing was more annoying than anything else.
I followed that up with Blake Lively vs Shark survival horror The Shallows which I had low expectations for but actually really enjoyed! Very tense scenes in the water with the shark and nicely satisfying ending. Worth watching. I won’t be swimming in the sea again though haha.

Cheers was going to watch the shallows tonight after picking the 4k version up at CEX on Friday, will give it a watch tomorrow.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th October 2017 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 554448)

Why low expectations for The Shallows?

Everyone on here, including myself, loves it.

If you like Blake Lively (which i do) can i recommend The Age of Adaline to you?

It's a pity the best bit of Francesca comes after the closing credits. Must admit i rather enjoyed it though.