Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

SilverSurfer 25th October 2017 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 555297)

The Hole (2009).
I must admit this one passed me by when it first came out,I think it was originally released as a 3-D movie,and since I have no interest in the gimmick of 3-D then I more likely just dismissed it on its release.Also it sort of by passed me that this was also a Joe Dante flick,so again my bad.A newly arrived family from Brooklyn,find a trap door in the basement of there new house in Bensenville,one which seemingly has no bottom to it.The two brothers and the girl next door,soon start to see things,which are all related to there own personal fears and have some connection with the hole in the basement.While its all fairly PG-rated stuff Dante manages to crowbar in all sorts of influences from J-Horror to murderous puppets to German Expressionism cinema.It doesn't feel like the usual Dante fodder at all but just to reassure us he does wheel out Bruce Dern and Dick Miller,just in case we forgot who is directing.

Is that a prequel/sequel to The Hole (2001) ?

Justin101 25th October 2017 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSurfer (Post 555548)
Is that a prequel/sequel to The Hole (2001) ?

They're not related.

SilverSurfer 25th October 2017 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 555549)
They're not related.

Cheers.:)

Demoncrat 26th October 2017 07:23 PM

Since I went to Inverness today .... I rewatched The Fog. Still would like to see the original film as intended. Ho hum. The first Carpenter film I remember seeing.

Demoncrat 26th October 2017 10:10 PM

Horror Express (1972, Eugenio Martin)

What else to say apart from this German BD looks lovely ... still a tiny amount of damage .... tiny ... but tis the best I've seen it.

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th October 2017 10:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
October 24th

The VVitch: A New-England Folktale (2015)

Second time around and this was just as intelligent, scary and gripping as the first. The way the horror subtly envelops your conscience is quite special and the denouement devastating.

A modern classic...set in the 1600's.

Taste the Blood of Dracula (1970)

My favourite Hammer vampire film. Gone are the subtle sexual subtexts, this is a revenge horror film where the sins of the father might be far greater than the sins of the vampire.

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th October 2017 10:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
October 25th

Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989)

Not a patch on the fourth installment. How could it be when it loses one of that films star performers - Ellie Cornell - in the first half an hour leaving us with Donald Pleasence's Loomis who might be more deranged than Myers. More of a run of the mill slasher with a loony finale than the haunting menace originally created by John Carpenter.

Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982)

Speaking of loony! I don't think i can recall a horror film with a more ludicrous plot than this Michael Myers free installment. Killer Halloween masks that contain bits of Stonehenge casually transported to early 80's California. Well quite! Oh yeah lets not forget the androids and that bloody tv commercial. Still it's all good gory fun.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 27th October 2017 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 555689)
October 24th

Second time around and this was just as intelligent, scary and gripping as the first. The way the horror subtly envelops your conscience is quite special and the denouement devastating.

A modern classic...set in the 1600's.

I'm hoping to watch this one again before the month is out too.

Susan Foreman 27th October 2017 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 555689)

I really wasn't impressed with this film when I watched it

BUT...

There is something about it which is stopping me from taking it to the charity shops!

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th October 2017 11:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
October 26th

City of the Living Dead (1980)

A minor masterpiece from Lucio Fulci. Nightmarish, bloody and supremely atmospheric not to mention utter nonsense. Fulci's clunkiness shows through as this is set during the couple of days leading up to All Saints Day (Nov 1st) and there's not a Halloween decoration to be seen.

Satan's Little Helper (2004)

Jeff Liebermann's film is becoming a Halloween tradition for me. What begins as a darkly comic study of video game violence on young minds morphs in it's second half into a nasty, cruel prime example of exploitation.

Brilliant stuff.