Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 4th October 2018 06:40 AM

The house has been decked out in all its Halloween finery.

It's just a shame that I can't find a mixture of the motivation and the time to watch anything.

However, I have made a measly effort in as much as I have watched The Nightmare Before Christmas and Silent Hill. No real plans to get through much else though - at least at the moment.

I'm aiming to start the next season of American Horror Story on Netflix once I've finished Gotham, so there's always that I suppose. :brainfood:

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th October 2018 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 589720)
The house has been decked out in all its Halloween finery.

Any pics, b_e?

Paul Zombie 4th October 2018 12:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Manhattan Baby.

Christopher connelly plays a professor who is in egypt with his family to escavate a ancient tomb. and his daughter Suzy meets a creepy old blind woman in the desert who gives her this weird amulet.
Then later when Connelly enters the tomb his colleage gets killed in a trap and he gets temporary blinded by a blue light from a evil eye.
Things then move back to New York and Suzy starts acting very strangely.

I have to say that i found this Fulci film very frustrating. it is actually very well done. it has a lot of style and atmosphere, the egyption locations look nice, and the camera work is superb. then there's the soundtrack which is fantastic, even if some of it is lifted from The beyond and Zombie flesh eater.
But it does feel rather lightweight and doesnt have any really decent shocks. and the lack of coherence is even worse than usual for Fulci. random characters pop up from nowhere, people disappering in sand filled rooms and reappearing in egypt, etc. guessing it's because of the evil amulet or something. :lol:
And the only decent gore scene of merit is a attack by stuffed birds who come to life and kill a creepy antique dealer chap :happy:

Not bad though, and still miles better than his later efforts. and look out for that kid who plays Bob in House by the cemetery. still annoying but not quite as bad. 72.5 out of 100.

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th October 2018 12:32 PM

October 3rd

1 Attachment(s)
The Funhouse (1981)

I had a strong dislike for Tobe Hooper's film on first viewing (Much to the Inspector's chagrin) but this second sitting proved a far more pleasurable experience.

The best way to sum this film up is to imagine relatives of Hooper's Texas Chainsaw clan had set up a traveling carnival.

It's a film that's quite restrained in it's first half, with Hooper introducing us to a group of American college kids looking for thrills by visiting a traveling carnival. Aside from a well done fake murder scene in a shower that almost rivaled Psycho there's little on offer in the way of scares, then with half an hour to go Hooper pulls out all the stops and the films kicks into horrific gear as a sexually repressed carny worker's true identity is revealed from under his Frankenstein mask. It's a reveal that is grotesque, frightening and above all iconic - just not quite in Leatherface territory, which sort of sums up The Funhouse as a whole.

I suspect this film was even more of an influence on Rob Zombie's Firefly clan than The Texas Chainsaw Massacre ever was.

Justin101 4th October 2018 12:39 PM

I'm planning to watch Blood on Satan's Claw this evening, another classic which I've never seen!

I'm familiar with the story though after listening to this dramatised audiobook version earlier in the year.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/...KL._SL500_.jpg

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th October 2018 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 589739)
I'm planning to watch Blood on Satan's Claw this evening, another classic which I've never seen!

I'm familiar with the story though after listening to this dramatised audiobook version earlier in the year.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/...KL._SL500_.jpg

I hope you'll post your thoughts on it, Justin. It's interesting to see what a 21st century, city boy, first time viewer makes of it.

Justin101 4th October 2018 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 589741)
I hope you'll post your thoughts on it, Justin. It's interesting to see what a 21st century, city boy, first time viewer makes of it.

I definitely will, I'm looking forward to watching it.

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th October 2018 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 589743)
I definitely will, I'm looking forward to watching it.

Nice one :thumb:

I've still to review Vampyres which i also watched last night. Don't have time at the moment though as i have to return to shittier things ie- work.

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th October 2018 07:11 PM

October 3rd (Part 2)

1 Attachment(s)
Vampyres (1974)

Starring a pair of glamour models in Marianne Morris (Fran) and Anulka Dziubinska (Miriam) as two beautiful vampires who lure unsuspecting male motorists back to their mansion, sexually exhaust them then murder them in an orgy of blood drinking violence.

Jose Larraz' Vampyres is probably the film that best encompasses the heady blend of sex and horror in all of British cinema.

Full review here. http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post589773

bleakshaun 4th October 2018 08:07 PM

Bad Channels
A small town radio gets a nationwide broadcast and takes on a controversial rock dj as their star presenter. This prompts an alien to take the station over and kidnaps female listeners.
The alien looks great for a Full Moon film. The soundtrack is cringeworthy but it kinda makes up for that with a War of the Worlds radio broadcast type scenario.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk