Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th October 2018, 07:51 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Yeah HALLOWEEN-SEASON OF THE WITCH would've been better.
Would've loved to see this annual Halloween movie event take off......could've been the US equivalent of a Ghost Story for Christmas.....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 5th October 2018, 08:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Hearse(1980).

Jane Hardy, played by Trish Van Devere, decides to spend some time at her late aunt's house after having a nervous breakdown following the break up of her marriage and the death of her mother. However, she doesn't find the peace she craves when she encounters a hostile community and a ghostly old hearse that keeps on following her.

Quite an intriguing little film that relies more on mystery and suspense than actual horror. Trish Van Devere gives an excellent performance in this slow moving tale of ghosts and witchcraft. And just has the right amount of eerie atmosphere to hold your attention.

And co-star David Gautreaux plays the role of Tom in the film, a young man who becomes Jane's boyfriend but has a sinister secret.

A very decent recommend. And a nice looking transfer from Vinegar Syndrome. 7/10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81swKesRTOL._SX342_.jpg (27.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 5th October 2018, 08:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The House By The Cemetery. 1981

Dr Norman Boyle moves into a house with his wife Lucy and son Bob unaware of the secret living in their basement.

From Lucio Fulci comes this euro splatter gore fest, the film was made on a very tight budget but still pays off with the creepy atmosphere with gothic type background score. The make up effect that was used on Freudstein was good with a blend of maggots, only downside for me was the bad dubbing for the children. 6.5 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download.jpg (9.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 5th October 2018, 08:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The House By The Cemetery. 1981

Dr Norman Boyle moves into a house with his wife Lucy and son Bob unaware of the secret living in their basement.

From Lucio Fulci comes this euro splatter gore fest, the film was made on a very tight budget but still pays off with the creepy atmosphere with gothic type background score. The make up effect that was used on Freudstein was good with a blend of maggots, only downside for me was the bad dubbing for the children. 6.5 out of 10.
Always found that the dreadful dubbing of Bob was part of its "charm", it wouldn't be the same without it.
Old 5th October 2018, 08:43 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The kids always get terrible dubbing in these Italian films. Shock, and Puzzle are two others that were pretty horrendous.
But I find it adds to the charm as well
Old 5th October 2018, 08:48 PM
Cult Addict

Got a choice of 3 movies for tomorrow night - Satan's Blade, The Slayer or The Mutilator.
Thoughts?

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 5th October 2018, 08:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Got a choice of 3 movies for tomorrow night - Satan's Blade, The Slayer or The Mutilator.
Thoughts?

Satan's blade is awful, enjoyed the other two

Know I said earlier would keep away from usual suspects etc, but think I'll watch the gates of hell trilogy tomorrow
bleakshaun likes this.
Old 5th October 2018, 08:58 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Thoughts?

Well Satan's Blade is an all over-the-place grab-bag of ropey z-grade delights; The Slayer has some good effects but takes time getting *there* and isn't as good as its reputation will lead you to believe, still worth it if only for the final 30 mins when things get more tasty; The Mutilator is set in Autumn so is quite apt for this time of year... the tone is a bit 'off' compared to other slashers of the era but I quite like it.

If I had to choose one and based on your taste for 'Endless Trash' b, my vote goes to Satan's Blade. You'll probably get some joy out of any of the three you mentioned, though.
Old 5th October 2018, 09:27 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Thoughts?

Not seen the other two but I loved The Slayer.
bleakshaun likes this.
Old 5th October 2018, 09:54 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy 1955

It is completely silly but I think that's why I enjoyed it. Never bored me once.

It did confuse me at first: I assumed that it would be Kharis again as the mummy, except its actually a new one called Klaris. By this point Kharis's scare factor would have been diluted through 4 films, so it would have made sense just to throw all convention out the window and make him a comedy. But we have this new Mummy instead and it isn't used to great effect: I would have liked to have seen the Kharis mummy chasing the two of them around.

But despite that, when you look at what the film is, you see that the Mummy appears less onscreen than in any other Mummy film. He doesn't even do anything that's violent until the final act. On top of that, in an instalment in a franchise about a Mummy, the Mummy is actually the least interesting character. It's the environment that takes centre stage, the Mummy and the valuable medallion he had is merely the heart of the plot that brings everyone together (you've got something like 3 different factions trying to steal this medallion). Kind of like how in Alice in Wonderland, she is just the main observer to the rest of the plot.

It's certainly funny: I've never seen two these guys in action before and it certainly was entertaining to watch them screw everything up that they touch. Decent action as well: but its not got a lot of horror. A good effort though so 7/10

But despite this one putting in a lot of effort to be great, my favourite, after seeing them all, is still The Mummy's Hand. It successfully combined horror, humour and action all into one and went with it. This final instalment is probably my second favourite of the bunch though, if only for being different.

Like this? Share it using the links below!