Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th October 2018, 07:58 PM
Cult Addict

Satan's Blade
A knife flies into a tree, a bank robbery happens, one of the robbers gets shot, her killer gets stabbed by some unknown killer. Instead of being logical and shutting the lodgings down; the owner gives the room to some teenage girls - a perfect recipe.........FOR DEATH!!
I really don't know why I put it that way but it's. Not a terrible slasher, but for the middle part of the movie it does atmittedly drag on slightly. A second viewing at some point is certain.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 6th October 2018, 07:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Up tonight the house that dripped blood.
bleakshaun and MrBarlow like this.
Old 6th October 2018, 08:05 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Satan's Blade
A knife flies into a tree, a bank robbery happens, one of the robbers gets shot, her killer gets stabbed by some unknown killer. Instead of being logical and shutting the lodgings down; the owner gives the room to some teenage girls - a perfect recipe.........FOR DEATH!!
I really don't know why I put it that way but it's. Not a terrible slasher, but for the middle part of the movie it does atmittedly drag on slightly. A second viewing at some point is certain.
Glad to hear you (kind of) enjoyed it, b.
trebor8273 and bleakshaun like this.
Old 6th October 2018, 08:07 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Glad to hear you (kind of) enjoyed it, b.
Well I had to make the best of it, besides I'm showing my mate the Hatchet movies this week so I had to get myself in the mood.

trebor8273 and Gothmogxx like this.
Old 6th October 2018, 08:10 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

A Bell From Hell(1973).

A young man called John gets released on probation from a mental hospital and vows revenge against his aunt and cousins who he believed had him committed to steal his fortune.

Directed by Claudio Guerin Hill, who apparently jumped to his death on the last day of the shoot, this is an entertaining and suspenseful horror/thriller set in Spain.
Renaud Verley, who plays John, is excellent as the disturbed young man seeking vengeance, which starts out with elaborate pranks until it reaches the climax with something a lot more horrific.

One disturbing aspect to the film though is the inclusion of some particularly nasty scenes of animal cruelty in a slaughterhouse. But all in all, though, it's a well made film that is well worth a watch. And has the added bonus of the gorgeous actress Maribel Martin playing one of the cousins. 7/10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61qiz+3d1qL._SY445_.jpg (23.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 6th October 2018, 08:53 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
I'm showing my mate the Hatchet movies this week.
That's an excellent choice of film franchise right there.
trebor8273 and bleakshaun like this.
Old 6th October 2018, 09:19 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The Hills Have Eyes 1977

The story of one American family's refusal to die.

This was one I actually wasn't allowed to watch until I think roughly around when I was 13/14ish: because of the themes and content (sexual violence etc). My parents were lenient with Freddy, Jason, Michael, Victor, Chucky etc but this along with Texas Chainsaw Massacre was a no go until that point. So it (along with its Remake) built up for years on account of me watching the trailer a lot of times in anticipation.

And its pretty good. In terms of Craven's work its not quite up there with The Last House on the Left, A Nightmare on Elm Street or Scream but in its own right it works.

I can see why my parents were a bit anxious about this one. Its different watching a standard slasher film with any of the main bad guys just killing people with over the top death scenes that you can't possibly take seriously. Even the original Evil Dead wasn't an issue. But the sequence in this, where the cannibals assault the family in the trailer is vicious even today. Its really intense and hard to sit through: a testament to the genius of Wes Craven's direction. Some of the family are killed, the daughter is raped (its not quite as bad as most of the stuff in Last House on the Left but its obviously not nice) and one of the dogs ends up dead.

The whole sequence with attack on the trailer is definitely the strongest part of the film (I also liked the creepy opening credits and the music which accompanies it) and the rest is pretty good.

You obviously root for these people to get revenge on the cannibals and when they set out to do so, you cheer for them
SPOILER:
Jupiter and Mars get pretty nasty treatment but I think the best is the dog Beast absolutely destroying Pluto in the no mans land between the trailer and their lair. It's done really well and, much as I like the character and Michael Berryman who plays him, I still don't quite get how the hell he's still alive for the under-rated sequel.

Its fascinating how this wasn't a video nasty. I know it was a section 3 title but its just another example of how clueless our esteemed moral guardians were back then (and they still are, but they're pretty much powerless now against horror now thanks to the internet, thank god). How exactly was The Funhouse, which is now a 15 rated film btw, a video nasty but this wasn't? Rape, brutal violence, cannibalism: surely that's a video nasty? Even the BBFC didn't think it was so bad given they only made them cut a measly 2 seconds from the film in 1987 (Mars shoving the gun in Brenda's throat): and this was during the dark days of the Ferman era where you would have expected cuts to anything with knives and rape. Least its as uncut as it'll ever be now (MPAA cut a lot more out back in the day and the footage is still missing).

Its a good watch: not the best but good. 7/10

Oh and I love the infamously bad sequel
Old 6th October 2018, 09:23 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Well I had to make the best of it, besides I'm showing my mate the Hatchet movies this week so I had to get myself in the mood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmogxx View Post
That's an excellent choice of film franchise right there.
Not a fan of those myself. Hopefully your mate enjoys though, b.
Old 6th October 2018, 09:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

House On Haunted Hill. 1999.

1950s, Vanacutt asylum, patients escape and cause a riot, Dr Vanacutt seals the building killing all except 5 staff members, years later business mogul Stephen Price hires out the asylum for a birthday party for his spoilt wife, will they survive the night.

The original 1958 movie was based on psychological terror, this version is basically pure terror and Ghosts and dark atmosphere.

The character of Pritchard from the original movie played by Elijah Cook, is played by Chris Cattan who brings in fear and comedy that shows he owns the building but also terrified of being in there. Geoffrey Rush and Famke Jansen play the not so happy wealth couple that she has tried to kill Stephen and failed, along with the wife and doctor affair.

There is some cameo roles from singer Lisa Loeb and James Masters as reporter and camera man as well from Jeffrey Combs,
there was a few scenes filmed but were deleted which could have helped the movie but part of it was left as a head scratch as wtf happened and a added extra to the end, still pretty enjoyable movie.
7 out of 10
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 268x0w.jpg (26.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 6th October 2018, 10:50 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Not a fan of those myself. Hopefully your mate enjoys though, b.
Me neither. The first one's good, but the rest...

I'd say watch the first then move on to Laid to Rest and finally something a little different such as Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon.

Like this? Share it using the links below!