Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th October 2018 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 590216)
As I'm enjoying interview with a vampire is queen of the damned worth watching or should I give it a miss?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 590217)
A definite miss. :nod:

It is a miss i agree. However i have seen it a couple of times and have no intention of getting rid of the dvd.

Make of that what you will.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th October 2018 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 590216)
As I'm enjoying interview with a vampire is queen of the damned worth watching or should I give it a miss?

The soundtrack is pretty good, the film is rubbish. It's very odd to watch Stuart Townsend, as the front man of a heavy metal band, singing songs which are clearly voiced by Jonathan Davies from KoRn!

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th October 2018 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 590239)
The soundtrack is pretty good, the film is rubbish.

I bet if 88 released it on blu you'd buy it. :lol:

Not saying you'd be thrilled about but you do have that collecting gene.

J Harker 9th October 2018 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 590227)
Noticed a film called cold skin on Netflix anyone seen it?

Yes. Watched it a few nights back. I personally enjoyed it. Does require you to not ask too many questions though.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th October 2018 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 590241)
Yes. Watched it a few nights back. I personally enjoyed it. Does require you to not ask too many questions though.

Is that the Ray Stevenson one?

Quite looking forward to that if so. Saving it for the old Decemberdike.

J Harker 9th October 2018 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 590242)
Is that the Ray Stevenson one?

Quite looking forward to that if so. Saving it for the old Decemberdike.

Yes. Be interested to see what you make of it Dem. It's got some great visuals and atmosphere. But plotwise logic isn't exactly a strong feature. Didn't bother me but i can imagine some finding it enough to ruin the film.

J Harker 10th October 2018 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gothmogxx (Post 590057)
I've been genuinely blown away tonight.

Don't Breathe 2016 is one of THE prime examples of how to do a horror film completely right and also shows that modern horror isn't as bad as people say it is. Thankfully as someone in my 20's I can enjoy both the really, really old stuff, then the stuff from the 70's-90's and now the modern age. I truly pity anybody my age who refuses to enjoy horror films because "its too old". But on the flip side, I really can't stand how people hold up the old days in such high esteem and just immediately dismiss everything that came afterwards. Both have their own screw ups so what's the issue? Why not just enjoy all of them regardless of when they came out, as i'm sure pretty much everybody on this forum does?

I'm going off topic here so back to it: Jesus Christ this is a modern masterpiece not just of horror, but film overall.

Not since The Descent has there been a horror film which has so much tension, claustrophobia or suspense. So basically the three younger characters go to rob this old blind guys house which on paper seems like an easy task. Except it all goes horribly wrong: This guy may be blind but he means business. I don't think its a spoiler to mention that since the back of the Blu Ray basically says so. It completely turns the home invasion sub-genre on its head and makes the inhabitant the threat: and a very sinister one at that. David Hess may be the go to guy to play a bad character for a home invasion movie, but even the characters he plays like Krug and Alex would potentially meet their match here if they broke into this house.

There's only so much I can say, and I don't even want to go into the cat and mouse chase that takes up the majority of the film, along with some other stuff you find out as it goes on. I don't even want to put spoiler warnings in case somebody just decides to say "screw it" and reads it anyway without having seen it.

I've thought carefully about how to rate every film on this list but not this one, it doesn't need a second of thought. 10/10

WATCH this movie, don't look up the major spoilers or what happens: just watch it and have fun.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 590058)
Here's what i said about Don't Breathe last December. [emoji38]

Don't Breathe (2016)

This tale of three young burglars who take on more than they bargained for when they try to steal a wad of cash from a blind army veteran.

Merely okay. I felt it would have worked better in a 25 minute slot in an Amicus anthology film as repetition kicks in as we seem to be treading over the same ground throughout - keep quiet and still and hope the blind man doesn't shoot you. It's all fairly derivative and cliche in the way early plot points are laid on thick just so you don't forget them forty minutes later - Ladybirds, anyone?

As for the three burglars? I wanted them dead. Robbing folk, smashing their things, pissing on the floor of their victims. Deserved everything they got and more!

The film poster suggests that this is the best American horror film in twenty years. If it is then God help us!

So based on these two slightly conflicting reviews I decided to check this out.
What a bloody mess this film is.
Not to say I haven't enjoyed it, but these sorts of films live or die by the viewers ability to care for the characters. Unfortunately the all over the shop morality of all four players means it's damn near impossible to really care about anyone and by extension anything that happens. Jane Levys characters has some semblance of a sympathetic story going on but it doesn't justify her actions. The other lad is just a weasel and the guy that seemed to be the leader got as Dem said what he deserved. As for Stephen Langs blind war veteran, well he's admittedly a very good character, almost animalistic in his performance. Had he just been what he first appears to be (I don't want to give to much away cos this is worth a watch) then I think we'd have had a much better film.
Decent waste of 90 mins? I suppose.
Horror masterpiece? Heck no.

trebor8273 10th October 2018 12:48 PM

With getting those Hellboy graphic novels will be watching Hellboy later , but does it really count as a horror?

Paul Zombie 10th October 2018 02:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Wolf Man.

Larry Talbot(Lon Chaney jr) returns to his family home after the death of his brother and is reunited with his father(Claude Rains). and later when visiting a antiques shop he takes a shine to the sexy shop assistant (evelyn ankers) and buys a walking stick with a silver wolfs head. afterwards when he takes her and her friend out to see a gypsy fortune teller, he gets bitten by a wolf that is in fact a werewolf.

I have to say that i like this one the most out of the Universal monsters. Lon Chaney is very good in deed as the tortured chap who is forever cursed to change into a werewolf on the night of the full moon and go out to kill. and the funny old gypsy woman is superb as well with her classic werewolf poems about wolfsbane and seeing pentagrams in the palms.
Actress Evelyn ankers is so pretty too, and knocks most modern hollywood actresses into a cocked hat,:loveeyes: and i like her very much in the role of damsel in distress. And Bela Lugosi has a small part as well as the old gypsy woman's son who is also under the curse too.

Yes, this is well worth watching. and has nice misty woods scenes and creepy music and atmosphere. and the werewolf effects look quite effective too considering when it was made, and have to say that i much prefer practical effects like this than cgi which looks even more fake in my opinion. 88 out of 100.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 10th October 2018 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 590240)
I bet if 88 released it on blu you'd buy it. :lol:

Not saying you'd be thrilled about but you do have that collecting gene.

I'd be far from thrilled if they announced it, you're right about that!

However, if there was a number on the spine and it was part of a collection, I'd pay the money to avoid any OCD traits-related stress, yes!