Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th October 2018 03:03 PM

October 9th

1 Attachment(s)
Flesh Eater (1988)

It's virtually impossible to be too unkind towards a film in which Bill Hinzman reprises his role of 'graveyard zombie' in this low budget, often clumsily acted, T&A gore fest.

Basically that's the film. It's set on Halloween, Hinzman rises from the grave and kills and zombifies all he comes across. It's impossible to get behind any of the cast because they are just there to be slaughtered in all manner of ways as Hinzman goes from farm to farm, meaning eventually there are zombies everywhere and we appear to be back in Romero's Night of the Living Dead territory with locals taking pot shots at anything that moves.

This isn't a good film but it's heart is in the right place (Unlike the girl with the heart in her belly button - at least that's where zombie Bill ripped it from in the film).

bleakshaun 10th October 2018 06:18 PM

Dolls
A father, his mistress and his daughter get stuck in the woods during a storm and find a house. Some other guy and a couple of girls arrive. They all plan to stay the night. But unfortunately for them there's killer toys.
Killer toys and overacting are what you get from this. It's great and also creepy. Not Stuart Gordon's best work, but it ain't terrible. It's better than robot jox to be honest.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th October 2018 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleakshaun (Post 590298)
Dolls
A father, his mistress and his daughter get stuck in the woods during a storm and find a house. Some other guy and a couple of girls arrive. They all plan to stay the night. But unfortunately for them there's killer toys.
Killer toys and overacting are what you get from this. It's great and also creepy. Not Stuart Gordon's best work, but it ain't terrible. It's better than robot jox to be honest.

Must admit i thought Dolls was excellent.

I hadn't been binging Puppetmaster beforehand though. :lol:

bleakshaun 10th October 2018 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 590300)
Must admit i thought Dolls was excellent.

I hadn't been binging Puppetmaster beforehand though. [emoji38]

I didn't hate it, i will say the acting is better than Puppet Master, but it ain't got a thing on ghoulies

trebor8273 10th October 2018 06:25 PM

Was going to watch magic ( Anthony Hopkins ) as not seen it is it worth a watch?

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th October 2018 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleakshaun (Post 590301)
I didn't hate it, i will say the acting is better than Puppet Master, but it ain't got a thing on ghoulies

Seriously? Ghoulies?

I couldn't wait for it to end. :lol:

Oh well, each to their own and all that. I do like the fourth film but that has more to do with the PVC clad Stacie Randall than the titular glove puppets.

trebor8273 10th October 2018 07:17 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBxTF_DxN8k

Strange and disturbing things start happening after a police office ( Eric Bana) is called to a crime scene in which a woman throws her baby into a lion pit. Part police procedural and demon possession film. While there are better films out there it's enjoyable and creepy. 7/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCmYN6TLd8A

Excellent, well acted throughout with some great locations and sets. Gives a lot more insight into the life of a vampire than the usual murderous monster seen in most films. Claudia is a tragic figure , a young girl doomed to never grow up, also i found a homoerotic vibe running through out the film 9.5/10

Now watch Magic.

Justin101 10th October 2018 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 590311)
also i found a homoerotic vibe running through out the film

Understatment of the thread :lol:

MrBarlow 10th October 2018 07:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The Woman In Black: Angel Of Death. 2014

During WWII, a group of children are evacuated to Eel Marsh house where the hauntings and sightings of the Woman In Black start again.

IMHO, this sequel was severely over hyped from the first movie, the acting wasn't that great, the so called jump scares were predictable and was spoiled by the trailers that came out, I think a lapdance from a 90 year old gran would have been better viewing than this.

The Changeling 1980.

After the death of his wife and daughter, John Russell is persuaded to rent a a house to work and help with his grief but soon finds out his new house may be haunted.

This is like old school ghost house haunting, George C Scott at his finest as composer John Russell, there is a slow build up but gets a lot better, there is a great dark atmosphere within the walls off the house and brilliant story to it as it was based on a true story of Henry Treat Rogers Mansion. Worth the watch.

Crimson Blade 10th October 2018 07:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Captain Kronos Vampire Hunter(1972).

Captain Kronos, played by Horst Janson, is a vampire hunter and master swordsman who travels the countryside with his trusty hunchbacked assistant and a beautiful gypsy girl, Carla, the delightful Caroline Monroe.

Directed by Brian Clemens, this is an interesting and different adaption of the vampire story. And although it still retains the similar old style setting that was typical in the Hammer films, this one mixes more of a swashbuckling tale, combined with a bit of western and horror.
Vampires no longer drink the blood from their victims either and instead drain them of their youth and turn them into old and shriveled up shells.
Another interesting aspect as well is the methods of killing vampires have changed too which now include burning, hanging, and a sword of steel forged from a cross.
And I also liked the curious idea in the film when the hunchback buries dead toads in boxes that come back to life again if a vampire passes. Certainly different.

Overall though, not a bad effort at all, and loads of fun. But I did think Kronos was an idiot leaving Caroline Munro behind at the end. What guy would do that? :lol:

7.5/10.