Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th October 2018 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 590365)
Yeah, I quite like it too, my edition has a painting of Jack Nicholson on the front and it’s awful :lol:

Attachment 209927

Amazon are selling said same book - Halloween edition - for a tenner. :shocked:

Asda also have it for £3.50.

trebor8273 11th October 2018 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 590362)
Completely unrelated and probably should have been posted in several threads before this one but here it is due to the King discussion.

Is The Shining a good book? I haven't read it ever despite me owning many other King books. I saw a nice new Halloween edition paperback version today in Sainsburys for £3.50 and didn't buy it. Should i regret it.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....4,203,200_.jpg

Good book but as Rik said nothing like the film, the tv series is a lot closer to the book.

Justin101 11th October 2018 01:16 PM

I concur that the book is fantastic!

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th October 2018 01:29 PM

October 10th

1 Attachment(s)
The Uninvited (1944)

Ray Milland and his sister, Ruth Hussey, purchase an old house on the Cornish coast and find it to be haunted.

Made as just a filler or B-production, The Uninvited quickly became much more than that with all it's elements coming together to produce a genre classic.

The cinematography is terrific but it's the sound design that truly stands out. We see and practically feel every breeze, and every ghostly noise, especially the sobbing, seems to be in the room with us. The hauntings are brilliantly conceived throughout. There's also a bit of dark humour as Milland in attempting to justify what is happening to sis is really trying to hold back his own terror and convince himself nothing was to be feared.

Superb from beginning to end.

J Harker 11th October 2018 01:47 PM

Quote:

Completely unrelated and probably should have been posted in several threads before this one but here it is due to the King discussion.

Is The Shining a good book? I haven't read it ever despite me owning many other King books. I saw a nice new Halloween edition paperback version today in Sainsburys for £3.50 and didn't buy it. Should i regret it.

It's certainly one of the better King novels I've read but it still has a long arse patch of about a hundred pages of long winded exposition just when it's really starting to hit full speed.

J Harker 11th October 2018 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleakshaun (Post 590298)
Dolls
A father, his mistress and his daughter get stuck in the woods during a storm and find a house. Some other guy and a couple of girls arrive. They all plan to stay the night. But unfortunately for them there's killer toys.
Killer toys and overacting are what you get from this. It's great and also creepy. Not Stuart Gordon's best work, but it ain't terrible. It's better than robot jox to be honest.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 590300)
Must admit i thought Dolls was excellent.

I hadn't been binging Puppetmaster beforehand though. [emoji38]

I think Dolls is Stuart Gordon's best film. I adore it and rate it higher than Reanimator.

nosferatu42 11th October 2018 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 590361)
To be honest i dont think i have seen Night of the demon, but will check that out, the comparisons have got me intrigued.

Night of the Demon (1957) really is a great film, definitely recommended.:pop2:

Demoncrat 11th October 2018 04:49 PM

Possession (1981, Andre Zulawski)

Searing and unflinching. But enough of my curried plums :lol:....

More grounded than Kramer Vs Kramer, this rather heightened tale of betrayal and paranoia betwixt a warring couple is an unusual choice ...or is it? There's plenty of claret :nod:. and lots of screaming .... and twas banned by our fearless moral guardians as being "depraving and corrupting". So there :tongue1:

Sam Neill and Isabelle Adjani try and out diva each other here. It's a very operatic film imho ... Neill just lets rip without any net at the drop of a hat, and Adjani just about tops him with the "tunnel" sequence. Haven't seen this one? Well, it's ARTHOUSE with gore wink wink. Whomever is left can sort it out for themselves. Watch the trailer. Actually don't. :laugh:
This was the SS UK dvd. Cannot wait to get this on BD. :nod:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th October 2018 05:15 PM

Quote:

I think it's a great book and one which should be considered a separate entity from the film, which uses only the basic premise and characters. If that is the same artwork as the one they have in Sainsbury's, it might be worth buying just to put on your bookshelf or coffee table!

As has been said, it's also a novel which has sections which are overlong and really needed 'pruning', something typical of most of Stephen King's longer books (the short stories and shorter novels like Carrie are different).

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th October 2018 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 590383)
I think it's a great book and one which should be considered a separate entity from the film, which uses only the basic premise and characters. If that is the same artwork as the one they have in Sainsbury's, it might be worth buying just to put on your bookshelf or coffee table!

As has been said, it's also a novel which has sections which are overlong and really needed 'pruning', something typical of most of Stephen King's longer books (the short stories and shorter novels like Carrie are different).

Cheers, Nos.

Nice signature image by the way.Trick r' Treat is one of those films that is guaranteed an October viewing for me.