Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

Crimson Blade 18th October 2018 07:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Horror Express(1972).

Christopher Lee plays a British anthropologist who discovers a frozen ape like creature and boards the Trans Siberian Express to transport it back to England. But the creature thaws out and starts draining the passengers brains by merely looking at them with blazing red eyes.

Horror Express is one very well made and unique film that's thoroughly entertaining despite being entirely set on a train. The atmosphere is creepy, with a good story, and moves along nicely with some decent shocks.
The direction is also good too by Eugenio Martin. And with nice camera work and music score.

The cast are excellent as well. Horror legend Christopher Lee is superb as usual, while his fellow co-star Peter Cushing adds to the great chemistry when these two acting greats appear on screen together, even throwing in a few funny lines. Telly Savalas is also good as the captain of a gang of rebels who hold the passengers hostage.

Well recommended. And a must see for 70's horror fans. 8.5/10.

MrBarlow 18th October 2018 09:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Psycho IV: The Beginning.

Norman Bates living away from the family motel, recalls his life to a radio show and his upbringing by his mother Norma and fearing his unborn child will be the same as he was.

This was a decent ending to the franchise and better than what I remembered it being. Anthony Perkins returns for the last time as Norman, Henry (E.T) Thomas plays the young teenager Norman, he does play him well, Olivia Hessey plays mother Norma who seems to have somewhat of a split personality one minute nice and the next a total domineering side.

CCH Pounder plays the radio talk show host, who seems to be like Norman's confessor who has reactions to what he says can make you believe it was real as he first said his name was Ed, a small nod to Ed Gein who had close relationship with his mother as partially Psycho was based on.

I would say it was enjoyable but not as good as the previous films and part of it was good seeing Olivia topless, it was a lot better than TV film Bates Motel 1987.

7 out of 10.

Kinda stuck on what to watch next, Burial Ground, Zombie Flesh Eaters or The Mummy (Tom Cruise version) any suggestions.

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th October 2018 10:43 PM

October 17th

1 Attachment(s)
Breeders (1986)

Ultra gory, low budget, T&A fest about grotesque looking aliens who rape the female virgins of New York in order to breed.

Yes, it is as tacky and wonderful as it sounds with a climax that seems to feature a group of naked girls squirming about in a hot tub full of alien jizz in the sewers of NYC.

Surely one of the most exploitative movies that MGM released.

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th October 2018 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson Blade (Post 590890)
Horror Express(1972).

Telly Savalas is also good as the captain of a gang of rebels who hold the passengers hostage.

Well recommended. And a must see for 70's horror fans. 8.5/10.

Telly Savalas is actually a Cossack officer - Captain Kazan - searching for rebels. :chainsawkill:

Demoncrat 18th October 2018 11:15 PM

Some velvet morning ....
When I'm straight ...
I'm gonna open up your gate and tell ya 'bout ....

The Slender Man

:skull:

Night!!

MrBarlow 19th October 2018 01:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Witches of Eastwick 1987.

Three women boredom their lives talk about their ideal man, and into their lives comes Darryl Van Horne, he seduces all three women and comes their wishes but at a price.

This is one of those comedy horror type movies, there is no gore except the cherry scene (which was heavily cut), the plot is a bit of a hit and miss but between Jack Nicholson, Cher, Susan Sarandon and Michelle Pffeiffer, they keep everyone entertained.

At the start their is a great ariel shot of the town with a nice classical score by John Williams that the movie goes on it does go to a darker score. If you want to throw a tantrum do it the way Van Horne does :skull: 7 out of 10.

bleakshaun 19th October 2018 09:00 AM

Night of the Seagulls
A Doctor and his wife arrive at a small village, where the locals are not interested in conversation, every night for 7 nights the villagers sacrifice a virgin to the dead Templars.
The concluding part of the Blind Dead series is by far (for me) the strongest of the 4, broody atmosphere, satanic rituals, crabs and bewbs. A winning combo.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Justin101 19th October 2018 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 590909)
The Witches of Eastwick 1987.

This one, funny enough, is on my iPad ready for an upcoming long haul flight, so I can continue my October viewing while on holiday :lol:

Paul Zombie 19th October 2018 12:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mark of The Devil.

Set in Austria in 1700, Lord Cumberland(Herbert Lom) and his young apprentice(Udo Kier) arrive at a village to sort out the local witch problem. But Udo Kier starts to lose faith in his master when he eventually discovers that witchfinding is just an excuse to kill and torture women for pleasure and for the church to steal peoples money. things get more complicated as well when Udo falls for the local busty wench Vanessa who gets accused of being a witch too. :hailwitch:
although not quite up there with Vincent Prices Witchfinder General, i did still find this very entertaining. The torture and burning scenes, including brandings, tongues ripped out, head choppings, etc, still pack a punch eventhough the gore effects have dated a lot.
and the whole theme of the film, that it's all done in the name of God is quite chilling and frightening. and also quite laughable too when a couple are arested for simply putting on a puppet show and the witchfinders think the puppets are possesed by the devil. :lol:
Herbert Lom in particular is very effective and chilling as the hypocrital witchfinder, and Udo Kier as well as the niave student. Reggie nalder the creepy looking chap from Bird With The Crystal Plummage is also good too as Albino the sadistic local witchfinder who pisses Herbert Lom off by calling him impotent.

very good film overall, and with a beautiful haunting score similar to Cannibal Holocaust, i think Ruggero Deodato ripped this off ;) 81 out of 100.

MrBarlow 19th October 2018 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 590918)
This one, funny enough, is on my iPad ready for an upcoming long haul flight, so I can continue my October viewing while on holiday :lol:

Hope you enjoy as much as I did Justin.