Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th October 2016 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBlayne (Post 508257)
Interesting to note that giant cockroaches have more respect for women than Donald Trump.

I thought it was a screen grab from that last presidential debate.

MacBlayne 14th October 2016 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 508276)
I thought it was a screen grab from that last presidential debate.

The one where he violated his chair?

Inspector Abberline 14th October 2016 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBlayne (Post 508277)
The one where he violated his chair?

Surely Trump is one of the Lizard men that David Icke has warned us about?

platostotal 14th October 2016 05:45 PM

Tonight's ABUKtober viewing...

http://i63.tinypic.com/2nv4dib.jpg

MacBlayne 14th October 2016 05:52 PM

It’s taken a while but I finally found a film I really like on this October Horror Movie Marathon. While it a horror might be a stretch, Brian De Palma’s film is a glorious mesh of The Phantom of the Opera and Faust that sees William Finlay’s disfigured musician make a deal with sinister record producer, Paul Williams. Needless to say, there are a few conditions in Williams’ deal, and Finlay is pushed to the brink to stop Williams and save the innocent Jessica Harper.

I adored this film. From the moment it started, I knew I was in for a great one. Yes, it may not have any depth to it but, rest assured, this is far from a dumb film. Every scene, every song, every performance, every line of dialogue and every frame of this film is pure bliss and is designed to send the viewer into a state of intoxication.

This was one of the most entertaining films I have ever watched. I don’t think there is anything I can even criticise. This is absolute joy on celluloid. There is one scene where Finlay, decked in black clothing and helmet, sits by the most retro-futuristic looking synthesiser ever and sings with an electronic voice. No wonder why Daft Punk frequently play this film at concerts as I’m guessing this is the film that inspired them.

If you haven’t seen this at all, please remedy this immediately. If you have seen it already, watch it again. The world can be a messed up place at times. Thank God there are films like this to cheer us up.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th October 2016 06:02 PM

Look Macblayne i've told you before about taking photos through my windows.

http://images4.static-bluray.com/reviews/9532_3.jpg

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 14th October 2016 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 508301)

I take it you're the brunette on the far right, Dem? ;)

MacBlayne 14th October 2016 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 508301)

Yeah, I know. That's why I went into your house and took the photos. :skull:

Hmm, having said that, I might watch Lost Highway tonight. :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th October 2016 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 508302)
I take it you're the brunette on the far right, Dem? ;)

I'm somewhere underneath them all. (I wish).

trebor8273 14th October 2016 06:57 PM

Mortuary (1983). 7.5/10 10/10 for Bill Paxton's performance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8u9LSNo6RU

Return of the living dead. 9/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkhCAV3wmIU

next up The Mummy (1932)

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th October 2016 07:05 PM

Tower of Evil (1972)

When a group of tourists are found slaughtered on Snape Island, sole survivor, the sexy Candace Glendenning is suspected of the crimes. However when therapist Anthony Valentine shows her some multicolured lights the truth begins to come out about what happened. Meanwhile a group of archeologists head out to the lighthouse on Snape Island in search of pagan artifacts.

Plot wise the first hour of Tower of Evil is all over the place. Some scenes showing what had happened and others showing what was taking place. Flitting randomly between identikit 70's youths distinguished only by the fact that Glendenning and Robin Askwith were with the original party. Fortunately there's a hell of a lot taking place. The film is chock full of nudity, sex and gruesome violence - and that's just the quieter moments. Heads roll, hands are severed and Askwith is speared by a pagan artifact and that's just for starters.

The film then takes a left turn and decides it wants to be more than just a gory slasher so the script throws in the ancient god Baal - the god of fertility - perhaps that's why there's so much shagging taking place. Whilst it's a little simplistic towards it's pagan rituals it really doesn't matter as the whole thing is so balmy and wildly entertaining.

The island and lighthouse is all fog bound and wonderfully Gothic in nature meaning that although set in the present day (70's) it feels like a classic old dark house film which takes it out of the realm of say, Pete Walker, and into the domain of Hammer.

Tower of Evil is one of those films that seemingly ran on British tv every other Friday night in the early 80's yet seems rather under appreciated when it comes to best horrors of the decade lists, by myself also. It's a shame because Tower of Evil is ****ing awesome.

trebor8273 14th October 2016 08:11 PM

The Mummy (1932) 9.2/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i6xNScZRP4

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th October 2016 10:34 PM

I was driving towards Preston this lunch time when i noticed a figure dressed in white by the side of the road about a 100 yards away. As i got closer the figure seemed to melt into the trees and was nowhere to be seen as i passed the spot where he/she was stood.

It appeared odd that no one was there as i definitely saw someone. What was intriguing was this happened as i was passing Salmesbury Hall, said to be one of the most haunted locations in Britain with among the spooks, you guessed it a woman in white.

Think whatever you wish but i definitely saw someone who then vanished in the moments it took to pass by.

:ghost:

J Harker 15th October 2016 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 508338)
I was driving towards Preston this lunch time when i noticed a figure dressed in white by the side of the road about a 100 yards away. As i got closer the figure seemed to melt into the trees and was nowhere to be seen as i passed the spot where he/she was stood.

It appeared odd that no one was there as i definitely saw someone. What was intriguing was this happened as i was passing Salmesbury Hall, said to be one of the most haunted locations in Britain with among the spooks, you guessed it a woman in white.

Think whatever you wish but i definitely saw someone who then vanished in the moments it took to pass by.

I'd blame the booze but you don't strike me as a drink driver Dem. [emoji38]

Inspector Abberline 15th October 2016 05:51 AM

Quote:

Are you sure it wasn't those Highway Maintenance guys? They have a habit of standing around doing F**K All for ages then disappearing for a tea break.

trebor8273 15th October 2016 05:31 PM

The Mummy (1959) 8/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTnkLTRR6v8

platostotal 15th October 2016 05:33 PM

Tonight's ABUKtober pleasure is...

http://i66.tinypic.com/20j4uhw.jpg

trebor8273 15th October 2016 06:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Frankenstein (1931). 9.2/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN8K-4osNb0

Now watching the first power.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 15th October 2016 07:15 PM

Blood Link (1982)

http://zardoz.a.ltrbxd.com/resized/f...g?k=6ea1ce6264

Fairly fun slasher with a psychological flavour as Michael Moriarty keeps seeing psychic visions of himself killing women in various states of undress. He later learns he has a conjoined twin whom he was separated from at birth and travels to Hamburg to confront him.

A double dose of Michael Moriarty is never a bad thing and with Alberto De Martino (Antichrist, Formula for a Murder, Shadows in an Empty Room) in the director's chair there is some Italian sleaze and giallo trappings injected below the surface too, which does aid the film to stand out from some of the other slashers from the same era somewhat.

63/100

Susan Foreman 15th October 2016 08:01 PM

Quote:

Ghost clown

http://www.stevengilberts.com/ghosts...host-Clown.jpg

Inspector Abberline 15th October 2016 08:52 PM

buried psycho

2 Attachment(s)
Psycho III (1986)

Attachment 183621

Anthony Perkins sits his boney back side in the directors chair for this third outing,about nutty Norman Bates and the Bates Motel.With what seems to be a Vertigo homage,the film starts out with Diana Scarwid accidentally causing the death of a nun and then doing a runner,sort of nuns on the run,she then gets a lift from sleaze Dwayne Duke,only to end running again and ending up at the Bates Motel.Perkins direction of the third film is pretty solid and although he has none of Hitchcocks skills of suspense,its a competent effort and he certainly had some skill as a director.The film pretty much kicks off straight after the second film,where he kills Mrs Spoole,and its nice to see a few of the same characters from the last film appear again.There are some nice moments especially when Norman is doing his favourite past time of taxidermy,where he poisons the local birds to fulfils his hobby. Anthony Perkins looks as always youthful as ever,and seems to relish his part as nutty Norman,with all the twiches and side ways smirks he can muster. There is no real suspense to be had as we all know the story,so the film revels in Norman's voyeurism and occasional cross dressing.And in a nice twist when Mother Bates goes a calling on Scarwid to recreate a certain scene from the first film only to find Scarwids character has beaten her to it and has slashed her wrists in act of religious rebellion. I really enjoyed Psycho 3,it has some nice touches (the scene where the sheriff is scoffing down bloody ice cubes) and a few rather well directed scenes that im sure Mr Hitchcock would be proud of.Story wise there no great surprises,it pretty much keeps to the themes that Richard Franklin introduced in the second film.

Dead and Buried, (1981)

Attachment 183620

Gary Sherman's film is such a darkly strange film,it comes no surprise that its was originally intended more as a black comedy,but was later decided to concentrate more on the horror angle.And it is a pretty brutal film,the scene where the photographer is tied up and set fire to,while the perpetrators stand and watch is very chilling and reminds me of the trend where people now a days film some tragedy or horror on there phones rather than actually do something about it,at least in the film they have an excuse.Also the mortuary scenes have that cold atmospheric feeling,that really do not want to experience at first hand ,and the scene where the girl hitch hiker has her face restored is amazingly effective and gruesome at the same time.Sherman shows great skill at portraying a dank and wet environment that has atmosphere dripping from the scene,his early film Raw Meat (Death Line) has that scene where it pans over the dead and decaying corpses in the underground,its grim and yet weirdly amusing and has a real EC comics feel to it.It should also be said that there are some marvellous performances amongst all the dread and fear,James Farentino and Jack Albertson are both great one the dogged cop the other an eccentric mortician,with Melody Anderson as local school teacher.I remember seeing the TV adverts when it first came out in the cinema,and the film has been a favourite since the days of rental video tapes.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 16th October 2016 01:14 PM

Keep My Grave Open (1976)

http://primer.a.ltrbxd.com/resized/f...g?k=353a08c99d

Whilst not as good as his 'Don't' films, Brownrigg's Keep My Grave Open is still an enjoyable slice of schlocky madness. Camilla Carr puts in a great performance as our crazy sword-wielding woman who lives in an old mansion with her brother/lover who may/may not exist.

Whilst a little predictable, that doesn't stop this one from being a lot of fun, particular the final act where the derangement reaches its peak.

60/100

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th October 2016 01:54 PM

Scream Park (2014)

The workers of a fun fair, closing down due to lack of funds, decide to stage an all night party in the grounds. Unbeknown to them the fair's owner (Doug Bradley) unleashes a pair of masked killers on the group in a bid to keep the park open through notoriety.

The films' plot was given away on the back of the box. It might have made a nice twist had we not known the fun fair's owner was behind it all. However even this plot spoiler wouldn't have saved a disappointing modern slasher.

The film does a lot of good things. The empty fun fair made for a good location and some of the gore was grossly well done. The soundtrack featuring unknown industrial and death metal bands was also rather tasty. However the acting was hit and miss, unfortunately all but Bradley and the two leads were at times amateurish. It didn't help that the microphones didn't seem well positioned at times as one person spoke clearly and others seem muffled, fortunately this only happened a couple of times, but it smacks of being under funded when it can't be rectified.

To sum up, Scream Park was a good idea let down by lack of budget or i suspect the creativity to get round budgetary issues.

platostotal 16th October 2016 05:47 PM

Poor Coopersmith goes gonzo in tonight's ABUKtober flick...

http://i67.tinypic.com/1h4bpt.jpg

trebor8273 16th October 2016 08:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This First Power. 7/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8VNdos7yew

Tonights viewing one of the most controversial films on cultlabs.

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th October 2016 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 508527)
This First Power. 7/10

Tonights viewing one of the shitest films on cultlabs.

I think you should tell us about The First Power, Treb.

I've never seen it and am wondering if it's worth getting at £7.99

Inspector Abberline 16th October 2016 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 508527)
This First Power. 7/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8VNdos7yew

Tonights viewing one of the most controversial films on cultlabs.

Im sorry Treb im not gonna like your post till you get rid of that lost boys shite.:spell:

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th October 2016 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 508548)
Im sorry Treb im not gonna like your post till you get rid of that lost boys shite.:spell:

When i quoted him above it seemed okay. :D

Inspector Abberline 16th October 2016 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 508550)
When i quoted him above it seemed okay. :D

I bet he invites Rik round to hold his hand......:skull:

trebor8273 16th October 2016 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 508545)
I think you should tell us about The First Power, Treb.

I've never seen it and am wondering if it's worth getting at £7.99

Its OK nothing spectacular but its worth 7.99 not a film I would go back to often. The subject matter has been done better in many films but are worse ways to spend 90 miuntues( lost boys for one,because someone is bond to say it)

Talking of lost boys will be watching the sequels which I've not seen but to even things out will be watching near dark first, let's be honrest even I'm not expecting much from the sequels

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th October 2016 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 508552)
Its OK nothing spectacular but its worth 7.99 not a film I would go back to often. The subject matter has been done better in many films but are worse ways to spend 90 miuntues

Hmm, not really convinced, especially when there's so much coming out.

trebor8273 17th October 2016 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 508553)
Hmm, not really convinced, especially when there's so much coming out.

better just waiting to see if it goes on sale, especially as you say with lots coming out

MacBlayne 17th October 2016 09:46 AM

I more of a Near Dark person, but The Lost Boys is an alright film.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 17th October 2016 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBlayne (Post 508565)
I more of a Near Dark person

A person of good taste! :bat:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBlayne (Post 508565)
but The Lost Boys is an alright film.

...as a Twilight prequel it ain't bad I suppose. :skull:

trebor8273 17th October 2016 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 508567)
A person of good taste! :bat:

are telling us you like twilight? :jaws:

MacBlayne 17th October 2016 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 508567)

There's a huge difference between Twilight and The Lost Boys.

Twilight

Stewart: Life is so depressing.

Pattinson: You should try immortality. It never ends.

Stewart: I want to join you.

Pattinson: Okay. Together, we live forever. In misery. Oh, and before I forget, I think Wolfboy over there wants to have sex with your baby.

The Lost Boys

Michael: I'm immortal. This is f***ing awesome!

Sam: But, aren't you forced to drink blood now?

Michael: Ah, shite! There's always a catch.

Also, Michael Chapman's cinematography makes The Lost Boys a delight to watch. Unlike the muddy puddle that is Twilight.

trebor8273 17th October 2016 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBlayne (Post 508569)
There's a huge difference between Twilight and The Lost Boys.

Twilight

Stewart: Life is so depressing.

Pattinson: You should try immortality. It never ends.

Stewart: I want to join you.

Pattinson: Okay. Together, we live forever. In misery. Oh, and before I forget, I think Wolfboy over there wants to have sex with your baby.

The Lost Boys

Michael: I'm immortal. This is f***ing awesome!

Sam: But, aren't you forced to drink blood now?

Michael: Ah, shite! There's always a catch.

Also, Michael Chapman's cinematography makes The Lost Boys a delight to watch. Unlike the muddy puddle that is Twilight.

more importantly in lost boys they don't sparkle and suck each others cocks! and it had a good soundtrack something doubt twilight does

MacBlayne 17th October 2016 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 508571)
more importantly in lost boys they don't sparkle and suck each others cocks!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 17th October 2016 11:52 AM

Quote:

more importantly in lost boys they don't sparkle and suck each others cocks!

You obviously haven't seen the director's cut! :skull:

MacBlayne 17th October 2016 11:53 AM

Quote:

more importantly in lost boys they don't sparkle and suck each others cocks! and it had a good soundtrack something doubt twilight does

Honestly, if Twilight had proper homosexual vampires, it might have been an entertaining twist on the formula...