Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd October 2019, 07:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Arachnophobia (1990)

Veering from my list already by day 2 I watched this 1990 'PG Horror' which I've not seen since I went to the cinema as a 13 year old, and scared the pants off myself!

Tonally a bit all over the place for the first 2 acts but actually scary for the final 30 minutes when the spiders start killing everyone in sight! I was literally sat on the edge of my bed and I felt them crawling all over me. I'm going to continue the horror now with episode one of The Apprentice on BBC1

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 2nd October 2019, 08:02 PM
Cultist in Training

I have the UK version, i will have to get hold of the 'uncensored' version, as i did enjoy it.
Thanks for the recommendation of Rosemary's Killer, have just ordered it (and The Fog Studio Canal blu-ray).

WP_20191002_20_53_52_Pro.jpg
Old 2nd October 2019, 08:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Arachnophobia (1990)

Veering from my list already by day 2 I watched this 1990 'PG Horror' which I've not seen since I went to the cinema as a 13 year old, and scared the pants off myself!

Tonally a bit all over the place for the first 2 acts but actually scary for the final 30 minutes when the spiders start killing everyone in sight! I was literally sat on the edge of my bed and I felt them crawling all over me. I'm going to continue the horror now with episode one of The Apprentice on BBC1
When you need to go to the toilet keep an eye on your aim and the sink
Old 2nd October 2019, 08:20 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Arachnophobia (1990)

You and me both but that's for the what TV have you seen thread

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Justin101 likes this.
Old 2nd October 2019, 08:24 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Arachnophobia (1990)

Now you've done it! You've made me change my list on day 2 as well.

Going to watch Eight Legged Freaks and will tackle the rest another day.
Old 2nd October 2019, 08:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A spacecraft picks up a distress signal , the ship arrives at the planet and things soon turn weird , people do things they have no recognition of and even worse the dead appear to becoming back to life with murderous intent. Can see that this movie must of had some type of influence on alien, with the large alien skeletons and other things. 7/10

Also deviated my list already .

Now watching.

Old 2nd October 2019, 08:47 PM
Cult Master

30 Days Of Unseen Horror

Day 2

444ff0e14e71384306da4a702052e9b7.jpg

Ben and his wife cant believe their luck when they find an old victorian house with ridiculously low rent. Ben's wife Marian instantly falls in love with the place and not even the very strange owners or the strange request they have for the couple which they must agree to before they can rent the place can change her mind. The couple push ahead and agree to all the terms and conditions and they quickly return with all their stuff to move in along with their son Davey and Ben's aunt Elizabeth. It only takes a day or so before it is quite obvious to Ben why the rent was so cheap after he flies into a rage out of nowhere and almost drowns his son while messing around in the pool. Marian is becoming more and more obsessed with the house or is the house becoming obsessed with her.

I was hoping for a lot more from this first off it doesn't create any type of atmosphere the house is not creepy or unnerving in anyway. I found Karen Black to be pretty bland for most of the film and the son was just a pain in the backside. The only stand out here is the always fantastic Oliver Reed i could watch him doing anything and be entertaining and find it interesting he is watch keeps this film ticking over. I usually like a slow burn film as long as there is an atmosphere or some tension but the whole way through i felt there was nothing going to happen it never felt like it was building up to anything and at almost 2 hours runtime it really does drag on and on this really could of been over in 70 minutes but it really did out stay its welcome.

4/10
Old 2nd October 2019, 09:19 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I've decided on an A-Z list for the Halloween season where I'll attempt to watch a film from each letter of the alphabet every night, with the remaining days to be filled with the usual favourites (notably: The Crow, Sleepy Hollow, Trick 'r Treat and Carpenter's Halloween).

Last night was Alice Sweet Alice and tonight was Bloody Sect (Secta siniestra). I'm not really sure which 'C' film I'll watch tomorrow and will just grab something that I fancy as I go along... at least limiting it to a letter a night should make choosing a film a lot easier!
Old 2nd October 2019, 09:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Howling VI:The Freaks.1991. (Hope Perello)

A drifter arrives in a small town hiding a secret, soon after a carnival owner arrives with his troupee of sideshow freaks.

Think this was a cash in on the franchise with stupid goblin like make up for Harker played by Bruce Payne (Passenger 57), Ian Richards (Brendan Hughes, Outland) make up is good but not as great as the original. This can drag on in some bits and the plot being a bit thin, not sure if I like or hate it first film to be watched by a female director on the list.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg v1.jpg (17.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 2nd October 2019, 09:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
30 Days Of Unseen Horror

Day 2

Attachment 219557

Ben and his wife cant believe their luck when they find an old victorian house with ridiculously low rent. Ben's wife Marian instantly falls in love with the place and not even the very strange owners or the strange request they have for the couple which they must agree to before they can rent the place can change her mind. The couple push ahead and agree to all the terms and conditions and they quickly return with all their stuff to move in along with their son Davey and Ben's aunt Elizabeth. It only takes a day or so before it is quite obvious to Ben why the rent was so cheap after he flies into a rage out of nowhere and almost drowns his son while messing around in the pool. Marian is becoming more and more obsessed with the house or is the house becoming obsessed with her.

I was hoping for a lot more from this first off it doesn't create any type of atmosphere the house is not creepy or unnerving in anyway. I found Karen Black to be pretty bland for most of the film and the son was just a pain in the backside. The only stand out here is the always fantastic Oliver Reed i could watch him doing anything and be entertaining and find it interesting he is watch keeps this film ticking over. I usually like a slow burn film as long as there is an atmosphere or some tension but the whole way through i felt there was nothing going to happen it never felt like it was building up to anything and at almost 2 hours runtime it really does drag on and on this really could of been over in 70 minutes but it really did out stay its welcome.

4/10
I like Burnt Offerings. Granted it's perhaps a bit too long but i love the atmosphere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Howling VI:The Freaks.1991. (Hope Perello)

A drifter arrives in a small town hiding a secret, soon after a carnival owner arrives with his troupee of sideshow freaks.

Think this was a cash in on the franchise with stupid goblin like make up for Harker played by Bruce Payne (Passenger 57), Ian Richards (Brendan Hughes, Outland) make up is good but not as great as the original. This can drag on in some bits and the plot being a bit thin, not sure if I like or hate it first film to be watched by a female director on the list.
Another film i quite like. Decent fun with a simple but effective storyline that always pulls me in.

Like this? Share it using the links below!