Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd October 2019, 10:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Kari Wuhrer and David Arquette star in Eight Legged Freaks, where a freaky guy's freaky spider collection gets super-sized by some industrial waste - as it does. What follows is a fun comedy-horror where a small town gets overrun by said creepy-crawlies. Scarlett Johanson appears in an early role as the daughter of Wuhrer's sheriff. The standout scene is where the dirt-bikers are trying to get away from a bunch of jumping spiders and they mirror each other as they make their way through a dirt-bike course, as bike jumps are followed by spider jumps. Although not gory, it does have some rather callous endings for multiple folk and of course, if you are arachnophobic, i suggest a pass, otherwise a solid 6/10.
Old 2nd October 2019, 10:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Day one - Eerie
IMG_0596.JPG
Filipino ghost story set in an all girls school run by nuns. Spooky nuns and creepy kids. What more could you need? Available on Netflix.

Day two - Errementari
IMG_0599.JPG
Really awesome Basque language folk horror. I’d HIGHLY recommend this one to anyone. Also available on Netflix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2nd October 2019, 11:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Amsterdamned 1988. (Netherlands).

A detective is on the trail of a killer who is using the canals of Amsterdam as his play ground.

Decent thriller/horror film from Dick Maas (Der Lift) with Huub Stapel (Der Lift and Sint) as the tough detective Eric Vissel. The acting may not be the best but does have good stunts involving car chases and speedboats and great cinematography work over the area. The plot might be a bit hasty until the killer's motive is finalised and put into place. TBH Amsterdam is a great place to visit especially their cafe's with great chocolate cakes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50533-amsterdamned-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg (35.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 3rd October 2019, 02:02 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Witchery 1988.

When a group of people become stranded on a island they take shelter in a crumbled old house In which a couple want to buy, unaware a witch lives there intending on closing the three doors to hell with sacrafices.

Thank you Filmirage for bringing this cheesy ass horror film that no great acting can save, David Hasslehoff was great in Knightrider but put him in a horror and laugh till you get the hiccups. Linda Blair stars alongside as a pregnant woman who seems to have what the witch desires. The plot was decent but acting, visual effects and gore were a bit naff. It was a choice of this or another film I had as a low rated 80s horror....glad I flipped a coin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51T1V35V4XL.jpg (48.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 3rd October 2019, 07:20 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I like Burnt Offerings. Granted it's perhaps a bit too long but i love the atmosphere.

Another film i quite like. Decent fun with a simple but effective storyline that always pulls me in.
Atmosphere is something i associate with films like this but unfortunately i just didn't feel it and i feel that the house in such a film should be almost a character itself but they didn't capture that. Or maybe i expected too much and further down the line when i watch it again ill enjoy it more.
Old 3rd October 2019, 08:27 AM
Cult Acolyte

5.THE MONSTER AND THE GIRL (1941)
When a man is framed for a murder and sentenced to death, a scientist transfers his brain in to a gorilla. The gorilla seeks out those who framed him and crushes them to death. Excellent emotional performance by gorilla suit man Charles Gamora.

6.I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE (1943)
Terrific atmospheric classic from Val Lewton.
The walk through the sugar canes at night is a horror highlight.

7.RACE WITH THE DEVIL (1975)
After witnessing a sacrifice of a girl, two couples on holiday in a RV are pursued by Satanists.
A favourite of mine after first seeing this on the BBC2 double bills.

8.FRIDAY THE 13TH THE FINAL CHAPTER (1984)
What was going to be the end of the Jason saga.
Tom Savini back as special effects supervisor and make up effects.
"Hey Ted, where's the corkscrew"?
Old 3rd October 2019, 03:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default October 2nd

Hell Night (1981)

Linda Blair stars in this high school slasher which due to the period clothes worn - thanks to it being initiation rites hi-jinks - and creepy old house comes across more like a classic Gothic chiller than it does slasher.

Even though lovely Linda at times seems like she's acting in a different movie this is still a lot of fun. Think more on the lines of Whale's The Old Dark House rather than Prom Night and you won't go wrong.

However those who notice the name of producer Irwin Yablans and hope this might be a genre defining classic along side his genre defining classic from 1978 - Halloween - may be left disappointed.
Old 3rd October 2019, 03:41 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Hell Night (1981)

Linda Blair stars in this high school slasher which due to the period clothes worn - thanks to it being initiation rites hi-jinks - and creepy old house comes across more like a classic Gothic chiller than it does slasher.

Even though lovely Linda at times seems like she's acting in a different movie this is still a lot of fun. Think more on the lines of Whale's The Old Dark House rather than Prom Night and you won't go wrong.

However those who notice the name of producer Irwin Yablans and hope this might be a genre defining classic along side his genre defining classic from 1978 - Halloween - may be left disappointed.
I really really like this one too.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 3rd October 2019, 04:08 PM
Cult Master

A bit of a dilemma that occurs most Halloween's is when it falls on a weekday and i have to work so a proper marathon is not really an option when i don't get home until after 6 i love when its a weekend so i can spend the day and into the early hours of the next day just watching films just doesn't feel the same doing it the Saturday before it. It also shortens the Halloween night list and makes it more difficult what classics or favourites to choose.
Old 3rd October 2019, 05:19 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Hell Night (1981)
What DVD have you got? I bought the Odyssey DVD version from music magpie a while ago and haven't got around to watching it yet. I might add it onto my pile.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!