Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th October 2019, 07:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Doghouse 2009 (U.K)

Some guys take their friend to the country after his seperation to show him not all women are out to get him, unfortunately all the women there have been turned into mutant zombies.

No matter how many times you see this film it will still make you laugh. Neil (Danny Dyer) leads the men to the town of Moodley where Mikey (Noel Clarke) gran stays, what starts off as a get away turns into a fight for survival. It's a decent comedy horror that's almost a parody of the zombie genre with great splatter of blood and how to take out a horde of zombies with a golf ball. Recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 38905-doghouse-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg (34.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 6th October 2019, 07:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A brother and sister hear the cries of a young boy coming from a grass field , they set out too help which is a bad idea as they can't find a way out, strange things begin to happen which all seem connected to a large stone. Not the worst King adaptation but far from the best. Worth a watch. But something I probably will not watch again. Might of been better as a hour episode of tv show. 6/10

A classic. Always forget just how violent it is. 10/10

Now watching.

Old 6th October 2019, 09:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Night Watch 2004 (Nochnoy Dozor Russia).

In mythical times Moscow a battle rages between Light and Dark a truce is made, in present time the truce is broken and a new battle insues between them.

This was a decently made movie, the budget was apparently small but still managed to create decent stunning effects, I speak no dialect of Russian so had to be viewed dubbed which seemed out of sync but didn't put me off, the acting was really good right up to the climatic end, it did seem to trail off but picked itself back up. Best viewed in the dark and have no distractions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51mh7+Ct31L._SY445_.jpg (37.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 6th October 2019, 11:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Carrie 2013 (Kimberly Pierce).

A shy girl protected by her religious mother and bullied at school, is invited to her senior prom, after a joke is pulled on her and her date, she unleashes her telekenitic powers for revenge.

Brian De Palma's version will always be a classic as well as Stephen King's novel. Chloe Grace Moretz takes the lead role as the quiet Carrie White while Julianne Moore takes the role Piper Laurie was brilliant as the over religious mother Magaret White.

I'm not sure if a remake was necessasry for this film, there is some little suspense but there is tense moments and bone cracking parts and the prom scene seemed a bit shorter and not as good, the effects were well crafted but lacked the effort of making it spectacular. Probably a third viewing is needed .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carrie-banner.jpg (86.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 7th October 2019, 02:12 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Wolf Man 1941.

Returning home after the death of brother, Larry Talbot visits a gypsy camp, as he is heading home he bitten by a creature and told he will turn into a werewolf every full moon.

Lon Chaney gives his best and more memorable performance as Larry, who has a curse put on him and some ways its like the audience are drawn into the way he slowly changes form. Claude Raines stars as John Talbot who tries to end the madness of the killings and a small role from Bela Lugosi.

Jack Pierce done a great job on the make up process of the transformation from man to wolf and nice good close ups by Joseph Valentine who's cinematography was excellent. Director George Waggner directed this at a good steady pace that it never felt like 70 mins had passed. Aside From Frankenstein, Dracula and The Mummy, The Wolf Man is another Universal classic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg v1.jpg (19.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 7th October 2019, 07:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A man whose wife died in a fire, is left a house by a uncle whom he's never heard of, arriving at the bizarre looking house, the farther is told that the house is haunted and his uncle was a crazy occultist of course he's not believed . But the family's minds are soon changed when they become trapped in the house and the ghosts start to manifest themselves. The stars of the film is the design of the house, the ghosts and Matthew Lillard. 7/10

Watched the first two episodes of The Stand. The first the plaque is unleashed and we meet the main charcaters, second is mostly our characters meeting up and Randal Flagg making is dark presence felt. Still holds up today and it's quite a surprise all the big names and famous faces. Have to say my favourite characters are Rob Lowe and his gentle giant of a friend. Be interesting to see if the remake turns out half as good.
Old 7th October 2019, 07:13 PM
Cultist

Me an the missus have decided on, well she's getting made to watch some of them lol

The Omen
Witch In The Window
Psycho
Hocus Pocus
Suspiria
The Exorcist III
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Beyond
IT (1990)

We watched the Omen the other night and can't work out why the nanny hangs herself other than it's the best scene in the film and because that bad dog told her to, but why?
Old 7th October 2019, 07:21 PM
Cult Addict

I think the nanny is made to kill herself so she can be replaced by Billie Whitelaw's Satanic nanny who will stop at nothing to protect Damien..

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 7th October 2019, 07:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Blob 1958.

A comet crashes down on a small American town and leaks a jelly like blob that consumes the townsfolk and grows in size.

50s B movie starring a Steve McQueen as a teen whom witnesses the comet crash and helps out a farmer who has the blob attached to him. The acting is a bit wooden in some parts but the director does keep up with the suspense. The blob itself, the effects are bit outdated but still effective, may not be a masterpiece but still good to watch for a B movie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blob_primary.jpg (24.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 7th October 2019, 07:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Blob 1958.

A comet crashes down on a small American town and leaks a jelly like blob that consumes the townsfolk and grows in size.

50s B movie starring a Steve McQueen as a teen whom witnesses the comet crash and helps out a farmer who has the blob attached to him. The acting is a bit wooden in some parts but the director does keep up with the suspense. The blob itself, the effects are bit outdated but still effective, may not be a masterpiece but still good to watch for a B movie.
Little weird as I'm about to watch the remake. I prefer the remake to the original but that's just me!
MrBarlow likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!