Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

MrBarlow 9th October 2019 08:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tigers Are Not Afraid 2017. (Mexico, Issa López)

A gang of children trying to survive the violence of the 'Cartels' and escape to their own fantasy world and escape from the ghost they have created.

This was a blind watch I hadn't seen any of the film trailer(s) and wasn't expecting it to be great but I was wrong, the children in the film manage to pull off what adult horror stars can't and that's to make people sympathise and able to see what horrors that they are seeing. The fantasy part makes little sense but the horror and ghost parts can be tense and suspenseful. May not be for everyone but worth a watch

Justin101 9th October 2019 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 612971)
Tigers Are Not Afraid 2017. (Mexico, Issa López)

This one is on my list for the month and I intend to watch it :)

Dave Boy 10th October 2019 08:34 AM

17.THE VOODOO MAN (1944)
Monogram low budget chiller. Bela Lugosi tries to transfer the life essence from women he has kidnapped in to his dead wife.

18.THE MUMMY (1959)
Classic Hammer. Fantastic scene where Kharis looks at John Banning's wife Isobel and sees the Princess Ananka.

19.DOG SOLDIERS (2002)
Excellent movie in which a group of soldiers hold up in a farmhouse while besieged by werewolves. England 5 Germany 1.

Nordicdusk 10th October 2019 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 612998)
17.THE VOODOO MAN (1944)
Monogram low budget chiller. Bela Lugosi tries to transfer the life essence from women he has kidnapped in to his dead wife.

18.THE MUMMY (1959)
Classic Hammer. Fantastic scene where Kharis looks at John Banning's wife Isobel and sees the Princess Ananka.

19.DOG SOLDIERS (2002)
Excellent movie in which a group of soldiers hold up in a farmhouse while besieged by werewolves. England 5 Germany 1.

Is Voodoo Man any good?

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th October 2019 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 613002)
Is Voodoo Man any good?

Hope so seeing as i just bought it for £3 yesterday in Sainsburys.

Nordicdusk 10th October 2019 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 613006)
Hope so seeing as i just bought it for £3 yesterday in Sainsburys.

I have about another 40 Lugosi films to watch before i get to it.

Dave Boy 10th October 2019 12:48 PM

VOODOO MAN is your typical poverty row movie.
Lasting an hour it is enjoyable enough.
Some good scenes with the girls in a trance as they look like zombies.
John Carradine is good as the henchman.
I watched my old copy complete with scratches and jumps so please let me know what the new version is like on DVD/Blu ray.

Nordicdusk 10th October 2019 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 613015)
I watched my old copy complete with scratches and jumps so please let me know what the new version is like on DVD/Blu ray.

Ill scan through the Blu Ray later and report back.

Nordicdusk 10th October 2019 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 613015)

Just had a flick through and watched a number of scenes it looks good for what it is no stuttering or jumping pictures it has the usual small bits of damage here and there but nothing major that will disrupt the viewing. Soundwise they seem to have removed the loud crackling that was very distracting in the version on Youtube i was comparing the Blu Ray to. The black in the picture are not as dark as i would like they seemed a bit soft and washed out but hard to expect much more from a film like this.

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th October 2019 05:16 PM

October 9th

3 Attachment(s)
The Hollow (2004)

One of those Halloween films that i always return to. It really isn't anything that special when it comes down to it but i always find it enjoyable hokum.

Perhaps it's the great looking horseman with a fiery pumpkin in place of it's head, maybe it's Stacy Keach and his grizzled 'You were warned' style performance or perhaps it's Kaley Cuoco in her cheerleader outfit? Who knows?

It's a bit funny, a bit gory, a bit sexy, a bit scary, but it really isn't that remarkable, yet i like it.

The Blair Witch Project (1999)

Always enjoyable and very creepy. Featuring some delightful fear inducing sounds from the dark woods at night. The sounds of stones clattering and children screaming as well as the final exploration of the old witch's house is still the essence of all things creepy and i still find it all rather disturbing.

Curse of the Blair Witch (1999)

Excellent documentary that accompanies the movie of The Blair Witch Project.

Certainly not a making of, more a real life news item in it's own right as locals are interviewed about the history of the Blair Witch and all her nefarious deeds.

I always watch this prior to the film as it really enhances the horror of what the three film makers in the actual film are on the trail of.