Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th October 2019, 08:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Ratman 1988.

A woman travels to a island to find her missing sister, teamed up with a journalist they find something else that goes on a rampage.

I forgot how so bad this film is that's it's almost likeable, David Warbeck (The Beyond) and Janet Argen ( Eaten Alive) play the amateur sleuths who go to the island and find a mad scientist trying to play God. The plot seems daft yes, but can be slow burn pace even with the lights out it still seems too dark in bits to watch. Nelson De La Rosa (Island of Dr Moreu) plays the role of Ratman decently, not a film that can be watched over and over.
Old 10th October 2019, 08:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Ratman 1988.

A woman travels to a island to find her missing sister, teamed up with a journalist they find something else that goes on a rampage.

I forgot how so bad this film is that's it's almost likeable, David Warbeck (The Beyond) and Janet Argen ( Eaten Alive) play the amateur sleuths who go to the island and find a mad scientist trying to play God. The plot seems daft yes, but can be slow burn pace even with the lights out it still seems too dark in bits to watch. Nelson De La Rosa (Island of Dr Moreu) plays the role of Ratman decently, not a film that can be watched over and over.
The Critter from the Shitter!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 10th October 2019, 08:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
The Critter from the Shitter!
I did think about adding that but was sure someone else would add it
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 10th October 2019, 10:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Offbalance: The Phantom of Death 1988.

A pianist living in Rome suffers from Progeria, as he ages quickly he goes on a killing spree playing cat and mouse with the police.

Ruggero Deodato directs this stylish giallo horror thriller with Michael York as Robert the young concerto at his prime only for things to turn sour. Edwige Fenech plays Helene as Roberts lover who is kept in the dark and Donald Pleasance as the inspector out to stop the killings.

The film does start of promising to the first killing and the characters being introduced then quickly paced up and slowly drags on then the pace quicken up to a different ending than I was expecting. It's not a film where you would expect to feel sympathy for the killer or empathy. Decently made and worth a viewing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ulGGjZlEO0yHbSLQPnXoycKbjdZ.jpg (80.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 11th October 2019, 07:40 AM
Cult Acolyte

20.DRACULA'S DAUGHTER (1936)
Classic Universal horror. Countess Marya Zeleska hopes to escape the curse of the Dracula's by first burning Dracula's body and then sseking help from a psychiatrist..
Direct sequel to DRACULA (1931). Excellent film and for me one of my top Universal horrors.

21.PIT AND THE PENDULUM (1961)
My favourite of the Corman Poe movies. Full of atmosphere, Vincent Price is driven mad when he thinks his wife was buried alive and now haunts the cliff top castle.

22.THE EVIL DEAD (1981)
Excellent movie. Although there was more to come in the adventures of Ash, this movie can be a standalone film and that's how I choose to view it.
The mood is set right from the start and then the horror never lets up until it's end. "Join ussssss"
Old 11th October 2019, 03:31 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default October 10th

The Devil's Rejects (2005)

An open desert road
A beat up Cadillac
Three even more beat up passengers
A police roadblock
A violent shoot out
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Freebird

Five minutes of cinema perfection!

Night of the Living Dead (1968)

I thought i'd give a watch of George A Romero's classic horror film. A film that changed the face of horror cinema forever. A film that everyone in movie land seems to watch on Halloween night.

A stone cold classic of horror cinema.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 918811645_o.jpg (80.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 61Ss7oVZUAL._SY679_.jpg (48.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 11th October 2019, 03:44 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I really think Warners / DC should have cast Sheri Moon Zombie as Harley Quinn. She does deranged and slightly loopy ever so well.

"I'll do something, motherf*cker. I'll f*cking cut your tits off and shove 'em down your throat!"
Old 11th October 2019, 04:11 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I really think Warners / DC should have cast Sheri Moon Zombie as Harley Quinn. She does deranged and slightly loopy ever so well.

"I'll do something, motherf*cker. I'll f*cking cut your tits off and shove 'em down your throat!"
She would of been perfect . Plus imagine if Rob Zombie directed it beautiful
Old 11th October 2019, 04:37 PM
Cult Veteran

Trick or Treat aka Ragman (1986)

So three things;

1) A one-off studio demo acetate... just given away to some kid, by Gene Simmons... I don't think so.

2) He then goes to school, goes home to get ready and then goes to a pool party where he knows they all hate him. All of this BEFORE he goes back home to listen to said acetate record OF HIS FAVOURITE METAL SINGER WHO RECENTLY DIED IN A FIRE!!

3) The main antagonist is one of the husbands from Desperate Housewives!

That aside, great 'Heavy Metal Horror' from the mid 80's about a metal kid being bullied by the popular kids when his haunted acetate records brings the spirit of Metal star Sammi Curr back to seek vengeance.

Shame about the blu-ray, the video, while better than the DVD isn't anything to write home about and the audio is far from optimal (in the english track at least, the German dub sounds amazong!) but it's not so bad you don't quickly attune to it and forget about how weak it sounds I just cranked it up on the amp anyway.

There is an American bluray of dubious provenance which alegedly has better audio, there is also an Italian disc which is a bootleg of the German one which I have.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 11th October 2019, 05:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Eaten Alive (Death Trap) 1976.

The owner of a hotel murders people who upset him and feeds their bodies to his pet crocodile.

Another classic film by Tobe Hooper starring Neville Brand (Psychic Killer) as Judd the hotel owner and his strange pet. Carolyn Jones (The Addams Family) stars as Miss Hattie the brothel owner and a young Robert Englund as her best customer Buck.

The film is nowhere great than The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, it has the oddball Texas theme with a Scythe but does have it's murky smog look and hotel that Norman Bates would be proud to own. It does have a lot more going to it with decent acting and maybe a few jump scares which can be predictable still good fun to watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg le_crocodile_de_la_mort_blu_ray_bis.jpg (95.5 KB, 6 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!