Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

bleakshaun 12th October 2019 05:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Brood
A doctor uses psychoplasmics on an angry mother, only for her anger to physically manifest as deformed children.
Cronenbergs version of Kramer vs Kramer (only more realistic) has a strong performance from British beast Oliver Reed and is a disturbing film. First time in 7 years I've watched this. Attachment 219873

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th October 2019 05:34 PM

October 11th

2 Attachment(s)
Heart of Midnight (1988)

Not once do events on screen live up to the dark sensuality of the films poster. A psychological thriller that strays into giallo territory sounds promising but it's all so insipid and really dull.

In fact only those with a fear of apples would find any of this even remotely disturbing.

The Lair of the White Worm (1988)

Ken Russell's classic piece of Wyrd England, Derbyshire in this case, is a brilliant example of kinky horror. Based on Bram Stoker's story this is a fun ride as Amanda Donohoe's sexy snake woman seduces all she meets - from boy scout to policeman to Peter Capaldi's archaeologist.

Taking in mythology and folklore not to mention monstrous white worms and Hugh Grant too, the whole thing is one of a rare breed of wholly original bonkers horror films and i love it.

nosferatu42 12th October 2019 05:58 PM

I quite liked Heart of midnight when i saw it.:rolleyes:

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th October 2019 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 613175)
I quite liked Heart of midnight when i saw it.:rolleyes:

I wanted to like it as i love the poster art so much.

MrBarlow 13th October 2019 06:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Fly 1958.

A scientist working on a teleportation device, after a successful test he decides to try it on himself with a disterous result.

The Fly is a fantastic thrilling sci-fi horror from the 50s, the creature effect may not be the best nowadays but still effective and creepy. The whole atmosphere of the basement/laboratory is seen as a genuine place to work and hold it's nightmarish scenes. The acting is done brilliantly from David Hedison and Patricia Owens as the couple and Charles Herbert as their son Phillipe. Vincent Price also stars but doesn't outshine his co stars but entertaining as always.

MrBarlow 13th October 2019 08:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Return of The Fly 1959.

Fifteen years after his father began with teleportation, Phillipe now an adult decides to try his father's work with his uncle Francois.

This may not be a great sequel it doesn't live up to the first but still has it's enjoyable moments, the effects of the human fly creature do try to match up but made to look daft with a even bigger head. Vincent Price returns as Francois. To make the film a darker tone it's filmed in black and white which does as a bit of suspense, the acting is good and may seem a bit campy still worth a view.

bleakshaun 13th October 2019 02:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nightwatch
A law student takes a part time job at the local morgue. At around the same time a series of murders occur specifically targeting prostitutes.
First time I've seen this one, took me a while to realise that Jaime Lannister is our hero and his girl is the main character from The Killing. An intriguing movie for sure.
Attachment 219891

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th October 2019 02:48 PM

October 12th

2 Attachment(s)
House on Elm Lake (2017)

A very low budget British effort in which better than average acting, especially lead girl Becca Hirani, make you think you are watching something more polished than what you are actually witnessing on screen.

It's a well worn story of a young family who move into the titular house on Elm Lake only to find it possessed by evil spirits following murders in the past.

Although perhaps twenty minutes too long, (100 minutes is far too long for this sort of thing) this isn't a terrible film by any stretch of the imagination. Certainly the low budget hampers it in the FX dept but the quality of performance and decent ideas in the script mean it's certainly no dud.

From Hell (2001)

Johnny Depp, Heather Graham, Robbie Coltrane and Ian Holm headline this ambitious semi adaptation of Alan Moore's classic graphic novel.

Dark and stylish with quality gruesomeness thrown in this is one of my favourite films about the Jack the Ripper murders of prostitutes in a beautifully foggy and Gothic Victorian London.

The Hughes brothers direction is exquisite with good use of colour and lighting along with some quietly experimental cinematography. The largely British cast are all excellent and the murders reasonably savage although much is left to the imagination as characters more often than not describe the various mutilations.

Ultimately From Hell is a 21st century film that could quite easily have come from Hammer some thirty years earlier, and yes, that is a recommendation.

Nordicdusk 13th October 2019 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 613214)
House on Elm Lake (2017)

A very low budget British effort in which better than average acting, especially lead girl Becca Hirani, make you think you are watching something more polished than what you are actually witnessing on screen.

It's a well worn story of a young family who move into the titular house on Elm Lake only to find it possessed by evil spirits following murders in the past.

Although perhaps twenty minutes too long, (100 minutes is far too long for this sort of thing) this isn't a terrible film by any stretch of the imagination. Certainly the low budget hampers it in the FX dept but the quality of performance and decent ideas in the script mean it's certainly no dud.

From Hell (2001)

Johnny Depp, Heather Graham, Robbie Coltrane and Ian Holm headline this ambitious semi adaptation of Alan Moore's classic graphic novel.

Dark and stylish with quality gruesomeness thrown in this is one of my favourite films about the Jack the Ripper murders of prostitutes in a beautifully foggy and Gothic Victorian London.

The Hughes brothers direction is exquisite with good use of colour and lighting along with some quietly experimental cinematography. The largely British cast are all excellent and the murders reasonably savage although much is left to the imagination as characters more often than not describe the various mutilations.

Ultimately From Hell is a 21st century film that could quite easily have come from Hammer some thirty years earlier, and yes, that is a recommendation.

Its been years since i last watched From Hell i don't think i even have a copy. I must keep a look out.

bleakshaun 13th October 2019 03:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Silverhide
A group of people head into an abandoned military base which they believed was used by the airforce for testing dangerous weapons and aircraft. What it was used for was a werewolf that can turn invisible.
This movie was released in 2015, some beautiful landscape shots (that I'm sure we're just by accident) but that doesn't shy away from the dry acting or the effects which make those of Suburban Sasquatch look utterly glorious and the excessive use of green screen. The creature itself looks like a cheap Halloween costume. It cost me little to buy it and I went in with the lowest expectations possible and I was still disappointed.
Attachment 219894