Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th October 2019, 06:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Curse Of The Fly 1965.

A man tries to keep a secret from his wife who may be keeping secrets of her own.

Last instalment of the fly trilogy movies with the Delambre family and their teleportation devices. This was a low budget film, the make up isnt that great but the acting keeps up the entertaining part and the ending was always a chilling. Filmed in black and white the dark gothic atmosphere make it more haunting even when things are behind closed doors and only a small hatch to peer in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg curse-of-the-fly-titke.jpg (17.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 13th October 2019, 10:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Killer Nun 1978.

A nun overcoming her addiction to morphine works in a hospital for elderly and disabled people. When they start turning up dead, all the fingers start pointing to her.

Average 70s nunexplotation giallo horror /thriller movie from director Guilo Berruti (Baba Yaga). Anita Ekberg plays Sister Gertrude, who has a bad addiction and seems to be in love with another nun. Alida Valli (Suspiria) plays the mother superior who runs the hospital with a tough regime over the nuns. It may not be an original idea, one of God's children doing evil etc, may not be enjoyable to some but did have a unexpected twist ending that threw out a little curve ball.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c351db_faa310d94bb54639b43175f6c98651a1~mv2.jpg (44.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 14th October 2019, 02:10 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Suspiria 2018.

American teen travels to Berlin to study ballet at a well known school only to uncover a coven of witches.

This was a long 2 and half hour movie, I don't mind films being long but this seemed to drag on a bit too much and to the point partly didn't make any sense. The characters are the same as the original with some added new ones. Tilda Swinton plays three different roles pretty decently will give her that and Dakota Johnson takes in the role of Susie and seems to put a lot of energy into her role.

It's told in some many acts I lost count and it's like the director was trying to outshine Mr Dario Argento (shame on on you Luca Guadagnino) I think he was trying to add more to a story that was perfect although will tip my hat to him by adding plenty bone cracking and gore. Think more than one viewing will be in order to help fill in the gaps. Don't go out and buy it at full price wait for it to come down in price .
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg DA1020BE-6477-43EB-9A44-1FC899042436-480x330.jpeg (26.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 14th October 2019, 03:38 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

House on haunted hill 1959.

A millionaire offers 5 strangers $10.000 each to spend a night in a house rented by himself and his wife.

Classic spooky haunted house scenario with a murky dark atmosphere house and chills. Vincent Price plays the eccentric millionaire Frederick Loren who wants to throw a party for his wife played by Carol Ohmart. Elisha Cook Jr plays the owner Watson Prichard who lives in fear of the house and decides to return.

The story/plot is brilliantly written with a good possibilities of spooks and creaks in the night with some real good suspense moments. William Castle always knows how to keep an audience entertained and never gets dull or boring with every viewing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HOUSE+ON+HAUNTED+HILL.jpg (23.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 14th October 2019, 12:57 PM
Cult Addict

The Omen
A US diplomat discovers his wife has birthed a stillborn and adopts a child, 5 years later and strange occurrences take place, their nanny hangs herself, baboons attack the family car and a priest is impaled. The boys father finally suspects he's fathering the son of Satan.
A fine horror film with a strong cast. Can't complain and it's a vast improvement to watch this from that pile of shit Silverhide.
MV5BZmNjZDcwNTMtMjQxMy00ZTY5LTg4M2YtYjA5NDliNjNhYzQ3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc1NTYyMjg%40._V1_UY1200_CR.jpg

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 14th October 2019, 01:08 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
The Omen
A US diplomat discovers his wife has birthed a stillborn and adopts a child, 5 years later and strange occurrences take place, their nanny hangs herself, baboons attack the family car and a priest is impaled. The boys father finally suspects he's fathering the son of Satan.
A fine horror film with a strong cast. Can't complain and it's a vast improvement to watch this from that pile of shit Silverhide.
Attachment 219923
It's years since i saw any of The Omen films. I must rectify that soon. Would be nice to fit them in to this Halloween marathon...But i may not have the time as i've tons to get through. Not that that is a bad thing, mind.
Justin101 and bleakshaun like this.
Old 14th October 2019, 01:08 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It's years since i saw any of The Omen films. I must rectify that soon. Would be nice to fit them in to this Halloween marathon...But i may not have the time as i've tons to get through. Not that that is a bad thing, mind.
You could always make sure they're set up for next years

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 14th October 2019, 01:27 PM
Cult Veteran

The Dead Zone (1983)

Christopher Walken goes all wonky after a car crash in this Stephen King adaptation. No where near as good as the book, I thought it was OK but I was checking the clock after an hour or so, the ending seemed quite rushed!

The Conjuring (2013)

Scared the pants off me I've wanted to watch this for a while, put it on with my flat mate and we both thoroughly enjoyed it. Made me feel quite tense at points, the actual exorcism wasn't that good though

Son of Frankenstein (1939)

This one was Soooooo Dramatic. Stellar cast but I hate to say it, a little bit boring, and that KID ugh! Enough great bits to keep me entertained though, especially 'Herr Baron' (double honourific???) giving the monster some juice from his new fancy generator!

Horrors of Malformed Men (1969)

Haha, WTF? I won't even go into the plot because it's quite out there, suffice to say it includes webbed hands and a 'man-made' siamese twin duo, plus a psychedelic scene of ladies with metallic body paint dancing in a very nice way

Pet Semetary (2019)

45 seconds in and I almost turned it off, I hated this family, kept going for 25 minutes before I finally gave in. One of the most flattly directed and dead eyed acting I've seen in a long time, Lithgoe was good in the 2 scenes he was in up until that point but I couldn't do it. Dull, don't do it...

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 14th October 2019, 02:13 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default October 13th

The Mystery of Edwin Drood (2012)

Based on the final unfinished novel by Charles Dickens, this two hour BBC production was an unknown quantity to me.

Although not a horror film this is certainly creepy and wonderfully Gothic in atmosphere with one or two moments that genuinely chill the blood. Following a slowish opening half hour the plot really opens up (No spoilers whatsoever in case anyone fancies a viewing) and i was gripped, by the hour mark i was totally immersed in what was happening and loving the deliciously Silas like performance by Matthew Rhys as the sinister Jack Jasper.

The cast features many classy Brit thesps such as Alun Armstrong, Julia Mckenzie, Ian McNeice and Rory Kinnear as well as a great performance from Sacha Dhawan.

Anyone who likes the series Ghost Stories for Christmas could do a lot worse than seek this out. I loved it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71RfX8IdMML._SY445_.jpg (22.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 14th October 2019, 02:22 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Mystery of Edwin Drood (2012)
Noted.

Like this? Share it using the links below!