Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th October 2019, 06:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Prey 1983.

A group of teens venture to the wilderness of thrill seeking, hiking and getting laid, unaware there is something in the wood stalking them.

This was a late 70s film only to be released after a few years sitting on a shelf gathering dust. Never seen this so was a blind buy, decided to watch the International version and was a bit too long (97 mins but felt longer) and had to wait basically half way through the film before seeing the bad guy do a kill. The background story was set up really well but felt really let down as i really wanted to like it. only one decent kill was the bear trap, dont go into this film expecting a masterpiece.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the prey.jpg (81.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 18th October 2019, 07:37 PM
Cult Addict

Ganja and Hess
Dr Hess Green is unwittingly stabbed by his unstable assistant who afterwards commits suicide and becomes a vampire.
A very strangely structured film but a great watch nonetheless. Very interesting take on vampire films. One to definitely watch at least once.
GH-premiere-poster-568x734_1200_1551_81_s.jpg

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 18th October 2019, 07:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Scream Bloody Murder

The scariest thing about it twas the horrendous print
The uplifting tale of a young man who struggles through adversity to achieve his dream. With bells on
But is shorn of any interesting elements ...
Though I am surmising some of this, as the analogue nature of such twas enough to make a blind man cry. I know it's from a tape as tis paused when you press play, it then starts without further hindrance. Top exploitation!! Lawdy Thomas etc.

The Beyond

Ahem. A reasonable print (ws), still cut, slightly washed-out in places. It's still betterer than The Bloody Shining tee hee
Inherit a hotel? What could be easier? Sadly, quite a bit it seems. To merely relate a plot in a review is to do the film an injustice. Remember the first time you saw that ending?
Ahem. To think what he did next seems eminently reasonable imho

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 18th October 2019, 08:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

POPCORN 1991.

A group of teens planning a horror film marathon in a abandoned theatre, find a film of a murderer who died long ago, as the films start the killings follow afterwards.

I forgot how good this film was, it may look daft and cheesey but give it time and it can be enjoyable, the teens seem to have a fondness of the 50s B movie era and imitating William Castle premiers with little shocks and scares. Tony Roberts (Amityvile III) plays the school/college lecturer who comes up with the idea of a horror marathon. Ray Waltson (The Stand) plays old movies props guy and Dee Wallace as the mother of one of the group who may be hiding a secret. Definitely one i would recommend.

Up Next Pet Semetary remake
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MAIN.jpg (22.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 18th October 2019, 08:46 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
POPCORN 1991.

I forgot how good this film was

Really enjoyed this one. Looks great on blu-ray too.
Old 18th October 2019, 09:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Really enjoyed this one. Looks great on blu-ray too.
Image is a lot better on blu-ray and nice little extra of a interview with Bruce Glover.
Old 18th October 2019, 09:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Only ever seen Popcorn once, rented the VHS from Blockbuster (R.I.P ) years ago, I did enjoy it though so I’ll probably pick up the blu when it’s cheap
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 18th October 2019, 09:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Pet Semetary 2019.

A family move from Boston to Maine, when their family cat dies, the old neighbour Jud shows Louis the pet semetary he take him further and a nightmare begins.

Totally loved the novel by Stephen King (been a few years since i last read it) which freaked the hell out of me and saw the film which was enjoyable and the character of Zelda was scary. Time for a new version of this like other of King's work and seriously F£$K it right up. The make-up was good for Victor, and for Zelda which wasn't spectacular, Nothing against John Lithgow he has always been a good actor, and Jason Clarke, but the movie was not the best for them and change parts of the story can alter the audience opinion on the film. Thought as it went on it would get better, i was wrong.

Up Next The Hidden.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pet Sematary-FILM-panel.jpg (90.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 18th October 2019, 11:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Hidden 1987.

When three law abiding citizens start going on a killing spree, a detective is teamed up with a mysterious F.B.I agent who may know whats going on.

Another 80s Sci-Fi classic film Starring Kyle Maclachlan as the weird F.B.I Agent
(role he played 3 years later in Twin Peaks), and teamed with Michael Nouri (Flashdance) who has no idea whats happening. There is very much tongue in cheek B movie scenarios with attempt to try make things into a twist but generally it doesn't always work. the special effects for the creature/parasite is decently done its not the best and nice small appearances by Claudia Christian, Clu Gulager, Ed O'Ross and Chris Mulkey. worth a watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg main.jpeg (37.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 19th October 2019, 09:21 AM
Cult Acolyte

29.THE UNINVITED (1944)

Excellent ghost story mystery in which a brother and sister buy a dark and creepy deserted house on a clifftop. Strange disturbances occur and the couple decide to investigate..

30.I BURY THE LIVING (1958)

The new director of a large cemetery slips into despair as he finds that when he prematurely changes the coloured pins on the cemetery plot map (white for living and plot paid for, black for dead) the named people die very quickly.
Good, tense film and great idea but the ending suffers.

31.CARNIVAL OF SOULS (1962)

The soul survivor of a car crash keeps seeing a strange looking man and feels that he is following her. She is strangely drawn to an abandoned pavilion and experiences un-worldly moments.
Creepy, eerie, and has now found the wider audience it deserves.

Like this? Share it using the links below!