Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

Nordicdusk 20th October 2019 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleakshaun (Post 613716)
Halloween (2018)
40 years after the events of the original, our good friend Michael escapes and goes back to his old habits of murder. Laurie is also back except she has a shitload of guns, her family thought she was crazy. They were wrong.
This was one I really wanted to see at the cinema last year, but I was working an exhausting job so was unable to do so. Was it worth me waiting a year for it. Yes it was. I loved this film.
Attachment 220091

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

When i went to see it the first time i kept my expectations low i was worried it would be rubbish but its fantastic nice little throwbacks to the earlier entries in the series. I have watched it numerous times since and still love it. There is no messing about Michael sees you he kills you end of.

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th October 2019 12:28 PM

I bought the soundtrack cd from HMV last December and have saved it until now to listen to. Had it on these past three days almost non-stop.

I absolutely love it. I don't know if it's because it's a soundtrack by the great John Carpenter himself but it really strikes a chord. The classic Halloween theme crops up loads of times across the forty odd minutes running time as do many other musical motifs from the first film as well as others.

If you are familiar with the films you'll be sure to recognise the differing cues. The soundtrack itself is part classic Halloween and part very cool synth music like the two recent Lost Themes albums.

Nordicdusk 20th October 2019 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 613723)
I bought the soundtrack cd from HMV last December and have saved it until now to listen to. Had it on these past three days almost non-stop.

I absolutely love it. I don't know if it's because it's a soundtrack by the great John Carpenter himself but it really strikes a chord. The classic Halloween theme crops up loads of times across the forty odd minutes running time as do many other musical motifs from the first film as well as others.

If you are familiar with the films you'll be sure to recognise the differing cues. The soundtrack itself is part classic Halloween and part very cool synth music like the two recent Lost Themes albums.

It's great to have him making music over the last few years all his output has been so good i hope he puts out a few more albums. I know he will be scoring the next Halloween film.

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th October 2019 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 613724)
It's great to have him making music over the last few years all his output has been so good i hope he puts out a few more albums. I know he will be scoring the next Halloween film.

Even if the film sucks - watching it next Saturday night for the first time - i'll still think the soundtrack is a classic.

Nordicdusk 20th October 2019 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 613726)
Even if the film sucks - watching it next Saturday night for the first time - i'll still think the soundtrack is a classic.

I look forward to hearing what you think about the film.

Nordicdusk 20th October 2019 01:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
30 Days Of Unseen Horror

Day 20

Attachment 220092

Dr. Georges Bonnet has discovered a way to stop the aging process he looks in his 40s but he is actually 104. Outside of his medical practise his other passion is sculpting beautiful woman but all of his models seem to disappear. The secret is a gland Dr. Georges Bonnet must replace every ten years or he will die. As the tenth year is soon approaching the Dr calls upon his lifelong friend Dr. Ludwig Weiss who carries out the operation every decade but when he shows up he has had a stroke and after losing the use in one of his arms he cannot carry out the vital surgery and so they set out to find someone who can. Meanwhile an old love Janine Du Bois comes back into George's life but she has a new man in her life Dr. Pierre Gerrard which plays right into Georges hands regaining the love of his life and using her boyfriend to complete the surgery.

The Man Who Could Cheat Death boasts a great cast with the ever great Christopher Lee as Dr. Pierre Gerrard the beautiful Hazel Court as Janine Du Bois and Anton Diffring is outstanding as Dr. Georges Bonnet he is crazed and manic and the very thought of death terrifies him and you can see everyone one of these feelings played out brilliantly by him. The film is a slow build for the final showdown but its great atmosphere and great acting carry it along just nicely not dragging out and always keeping you mesmerized by the performances and interesting story. Beautiful looking sets and a thick gloomy fog in the night scenes all come together to give this films a brilliant look and feel.

8/10

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th October 2019 01:32 PM

October 18th

2 Attachment(s)
The Heretics (2017)

It's not often a cult lays a girl on the alter and then sacrifice themselves but that's what happens in The Heretics.

Due to the fact i do think this film is worth investigating for those that like Occult horror i don't want to give away all the plot details. What follows is an original horror film that has a very interesting concept but the budget means there's a lot of anguished chat rather than action until an excellent finale involving the demon Abaddon.

It's well acted and it's cabin in the woods location used effectively as are some terrific Occulty costumes and the practical effects when they come are the highlight.

One i'll certainly watch again.

The Craft (1996)

I continued the Occult theme with what is basically a high school horror movie as new girl Robin Tunney is initiated into a clique of three black lipstick and nails outcast girls who practice witchcraft, or at least attempt to.

Starting off as a black comedy ala Heathers or Jawbreaker, The Craft quickly begins to explore themes of witchcraft and come the end the karma that goes with it. The four girls are all excellent, especially the Manson like (Marilyn not Charles) Fairuza Balk who lets her powers overcome her in the worst possible way.

Leaving most teen movie cliches behind by the midway point, The Craft explores darker themes and by the climactic finale is a full on horror film.

I loved this when i saw it at the cinema and although i've seen it many, many times since it never fails to be a bewitching and enthralling watch with it's laughs, suspense and chills. Along with Mean Girls this is comfortably my favourite high school set film.

Cool soundtrack too.

Dave Boy 20th October 2019 01:35 PM

I must be the only one here that did not care for the new HALLOWEEN.
I saw it at the cinema and I am not bothered if I ever saw it again.

Nordicdusk 20th October 2019 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 613731)
I must be the only one here that did not care for the new HALLOWEEN.
I saw it at the cinema and I am not bothered if I ever saw it again.

I was on a little break from here when it was released so i have no idea how everyone here felt about it.

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th October 2019 02:28 PM

October 19th

2 Attachment(s)
The Body Snatcher (1945)

A moody and very grim Val Lewton produced period piece. Boris Karloff as the deviant in question is simply outstanding in a performance that bounces from kindly to pure evil in the blink of an eye. His showdown with Bela Lugosi two thirds of the way in is a highlight.

One of my favourite films of all time. My ramblings cannot do it justice.

3 From Hell (2019)

Rob Zombie's follow up to the terrific The Devil's Rejects (2005).

For about twenty minutes i was really unsure if i'd like 3 From Hell. It seemed quite simply more of the same but not quite the same if you get my drift. However things quickly settled down once what was left of the Firefly clan got back together again. Sadly lacking Sid Haig's Captain Spaulding following an early cameo from prison (You could tell Haig was quite ill from his appearance and his maniac clown will be fondly remembered) Otis and Baby somehow get themselves out along with Otis' half brother Foxy, and head down Mexico way to avoid recapture.

Anyone who thought Sheri Moon Zombie's Baby was a depraved lunatic previously ain't seen nothing yet as Moon steals the film in each and every scene. There's great banter from Bill Moseley and newcomer to the series Richard Brake throughout, especially a chat about Humphrey Bogart, and of course Zombie litters the film with almost constant bloody violence. Hell we even get an appearance from Bela Lugosi.

I'm not sure how they manage it but together (as with the two previous films) creator Rob Zombie and actors Moseley, Moon and Brake somehow make three of the most repulsive and terrifying individuals into very cool anti-heroes that electrify the screen.

Ending on a similar note (minus the road block shoot out) of an open desert highway and a soaring heli-cam...

Ah, forget it. Simple fact - I loved this film!